The ABCs of ASDs

Has your child recently been diagnosed as having autism? Parents can find the jargon and abbreviations that are used by teachers and staff in a Special Education program to be confusing and overwhelming. Here is a quick list of definitions that make everything much clearer. Think of it as the ABCs of autism in a school environment. ABA: Applied Behavior Analysis It is a scientifically validated approach to understanding behavior and how it is affected by environment. This therapy can help children who have autism to pick up on the social cues that their peers, who do not have autism, … Continue reading

Does Preschool Prepare a Child for Kindergarten?

Many send their child to preschool because they fear their child will not otherwise be ready for Kindergarten. Parents look at the long list of Kindergarten readiness and immediately feel they are ill equipped to fulfill those objectives with their child. There is no need to fear that you are unable to prepare your child for Kindergarten. There is no need to feel that preschool is the only way to properly prep this integration into the school system. There are common elements a child will need to be prepared for Kindergarten but nothing so complex that you cannot teach your … Continue reading

Preschool St. Patrick’s Day Activities

I love to make every month special for my preschooler. It teaches a spirit of joy. It is fun to see holidays through the eyes of a child. March is a fun month filled with shamrocks, leprechauns, pots of gold and rainbows. St. Patrick’s Day is March 17th and you will want to be ready with plenty of fun activities for your child. Below is a list of some of the best resources on the net for preschool St. Patrick’s Day activities. Have fun this St. Patrick’s Day! First School: This site is a tremendous resource for all things preschool … Continue reading

Preschool Lesson/Craft: ABCs

Learning the ABCs can be fun. One way to keep it interesting to a child is to make it hands on and three dimensional. Children remember lessons they have a hand in making better than lessons they simply see in a book or are lectured about. This craft will bring the alphabet to life and give a child something to remember. You can find the bulletin board letters at your local educational store. If you do not have enough room to put up all 26 letters as your child learns them then do not punch a hole in the letters. … Continue reading

Favorite Books for Preschoolers

Reading bedtime stories is a wonderful tradition. It is hard to keep up with it in our busy lives. I must admit that I do not read bedtime stories every night to my children. However, a story at the end of the day is best way to drift off to sleep. It is relaxing and a wonderful way to spend some quiet time with your children. Some books are classics and find their way into the hearts of children. Here is a short list of the books that are a favorite for the children in my home. Please share any … Continue reading

Preschool Jitters

Summer is almost over and it’s time to begin a new school year. For many this will be the start of a brand new world. Some children who never entered a classroom will walk into preschool for the first time. It will be the first time some children are away from their parents for any length of time. The first time a child may be expected to sit and listen. The first time a child will be introduced to lessons and classmates on a regular basis. It is a very exciting world yet it can be overwhelming and intimidating for … Continue reading

Exploring the Computer With Your Preschooler

Now, if your preschooler is like mine, she probably knows her way around a computer. After all, my daughter has seen me type away at mine since she was born. Perhaps her first memories are of nursing on my lap as I type, who knows? We limit screen time in our house, and that includes computer time. However, aside from learning the valuable skills of pointing and clicking, computer time can be educational. Here are some ways that you and your preschooler can explore the world of the internet. We love Starfall. It has levels like the ABCs for the … Continue reading

Suri Starts School and Jessica Simpson Ends Country Music Career

It’s hard to believe, but the adorable spawn of Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes turns 3 on Saturday. Yup, Suri Cruise is getting to be a big girl, and now that she no longer clings to her bottle like a dryer sheet to a fuzzy sock, she’s headed off to school. Scientology school to be exact. According to reports, young Suri will attend the Church of Scientology’s $8,810 a year New Village Academy in Los Angeles in the fall. A British newspaper alleges Cruise is keen for his youngest child to learn the ways of his religion. But lest you … Continue reading

Update on My Weekend

For the ones of you keeping up with my blogs, my weekend was great! My nieces were very excited to see us arrive at their school. They had already won some ribbons and were eager to show them off. When we arrived at the school, my nieces’ classes (they are in separate classrooms) were having lunch. I was very surprised because the school is very small. The student body only totals 250 children. The school has grades kindergarten through fourth. I had always expected Nashville schools to be large and elaborate. I live in the ‘country’ in a very rural … Continue reading

Starting Pre-school next year? Register now

For many good quality pre-schools, January is not too early to begin registering students for the following year. If you intend to send your child to pre-school next September, or are just thinking about it, the time to look into pre-schools starts now. Don’t wait for the rush in spring. Good pre-schools limit class size, and many give preference to siblings of children already enrolled. If the pre-school is sponsored by a church, synagogue, or community center, preference may be given to members of the sponsoring organization. Call the schools you are interested in, and ask about visiting and registration. … Continue reading