No More Textbooks: Online Teaching Materials

In all areas of the country, technology is on the rise. Education has likely seen the greatest increase4 over the past few years. Teachers are now using more technology in their teaching and students are now using more technology in their learning. Technology has now become as much of a classroom necessity as paper pencil and chalkboard. Teachers are relying on technology for teaching ideas, teaching strategies, and even students and teacher communication. My district now completes lesson plans on line. Lesson plan books have become nearly extinct in my area. Teachers are assigning PowerPoint presentations and Internet research projects. … Continue reading

More Thoughts about Schooling Online

My last article picked up a discussion from a previous topic about online schools and online public education. The article mainly focused on the area of Texas. Texas started its first full virtual public school. It along with a few other states are now giving the students an option of attending class online. The school described is greatly confused with homeschooling. While the child does stay at home, the parents are not the educators. The child is still taught by a certified teacher. There are over 500 students enrolled in the online public school. These students include those who need … Continue reading

More about Online Public Schools

In one of my past articles I discussed the new wave of schooling online. I also promised to let you know more about the subject. While being able to take courses online has been around for a while, the new trend is to attend public school online. Texas is currently experimenting with this idea. Many believe that the concept is much like home schooling. Although it may appear this way, the parents are not responsible for the child’s education. The public school system is still in control. In online public schools, the state pays a company to oversee the education … Continue reading

Online Public School

As a teacher, I always thought of having fairly good job security. As long as there are children there will be a need for teachers, right? However, now it seems that perhaps our technology and advancement in the world has allowed us to replace teachers with computers. It all began at the college level. College professors are nowhere near being extinct. Yet some classes have evolved from the days of students sitting in the classroom listening to a teacher. Some college courses are now offered online, through independent study, or through distance learning. Homeschooling has also been an increasing threat … Continue reading

Metro School System Hires Private Program for Struggling Students

School systems have many different ways of serving the students. There are gifted programs, special education programs, and alterative programs for students with bad behavior. In most cases the school districts control these programs with their own resources and staffing. However the Metro school district in Nashville, Tennessee has chosen to look to other resources to get the help that their struggling students’ needs. The school board previously voted to hire an outside program to conduct classes for struggling students. The program, Ombudsman, has a local branch in Nashville and offers help for students that need to “catch-up”. The school … Continue reading

Email for Parent-Teacher Communication

Technology is everywhere. It has been creeping its way into education for many years now. Teachers are using technology to teach plans, find information, and gain new teaching ideas. Many schools now have websites of their own. Parents can browse the site and find out the latest school news, school events, and information about school staff. The latest in using technology in education is in communication with parents and other teachers. Teachers in various schools are now hooked on to instant messaging. They can quickly login in and talk with one another about ideas and classroom strengths and weaknesses. This … Continue reading

Frugal and Free Homeschooling {part 5}

Is it possible to homeschool for free or inexpensively?  Yes, it is. I remember lamenting that I was so low I didn’t have enough money to send my kids to school.  At the time, I felt like I had failed entirely.  Then, I realized what a blessing to know I had no way to go but up and that I could not send my kids to school.  I did not have a car nor money to buy clothes, shoes, and materials just to go to school.  I was forced to see the true cost of homeschooling.  The cost is very … Continue reading

A Better Future Lies Ahead

When you are a single parent just making ends meet can be a struggle. The only way to get you and your children into a better financial position is through education. I know what you’re thinking, there already aren’t enough hours in the day or enough money to go around, how can you possibly go to school? It may be easier than you think. Many career paths will offer the chance to do a paid apprenticeship. You learn, while you are working so you gain usable, real life job experience. As a single mother you may also qualify for tuition … Continue reading

IXL: Math for the Left and Right Brain

When I find something that I think is an amazing way to teach a child I cannot keep it all to myself. I am bursting at the seams to tell you about a website called IXL. I thought I knew what to expect from IXL Math since I have used several online math programs in the past. What drew me in was the colorful and whimsical design of the site. What else would draw a jaded homeschooling mom into a site she was sure was just like the others? Well, you guessed it, this site is not like the others. … Continue reading

Where to Find a Genealogy Class or Conference

There is a lot that a genealogist can learn by attending a class, a conference, or a speaking event that focuses on genealogy. The topic might be something that you had been wondering about, or working on recently. Before you can attend a class or conference, however, you have to locate one. How can you find information about when, and where, these conferences will be taking place? The first thing to do is to figure out how much time you have that can be spent on learning more about genealogy. If you have limited free time, and can only work … Continue reading