Preschoolers and the Dentist

I recently read a brochure which suggested that children should start visiting the dentist on their first birthdays. Hmmm… I’m lucky that I got my daughter in by her third birthday. What is even more impressive is the fact that I got her to return for subsequent visits, considering how poorly the first one went. Twelve months old seems a bit early to visit the dentist, in my opinion, but experts insist that it is important to have your child’s first dental visit by the age of one, especially if you are a first time parent. The first visit is … Continue reading

Preparing a Child for the Dentist—Part Two

Yesterday, I introduced the topic of preparing a child for a trip to the dentist. I talked about how to explain the facts and take away the mystery of what is going to happen by being as honest and open as possible. Another element in preparing a child for a trip to the dentist—even a child who has been before—is to give them the opportunity to ask questions and express their own fears and anxieties. For a child to truly be prepared for something unsettling but inevitable, I think that he needs to have a chance to talk through concerns … Continue reading

Preparing a Child for the Dentist—Part One

After nearly twenty years of parenting (times three) I have arranged and sat through my share of dentist appointments! If I was feeling saucy I might claim to have sat through someone else’s share too! Throw in the braces for one child and nearly two years at the orthodontist and I’ve seen just about everything when it comes to kids and the dentist. Even if your child has been to the dentist before, preparing him or her for the next visit is important. Most kids need a little preparation for a trip to the dentist. Even if you have the … Continue reading

Dental Health Crafts, Activities and Books

February is National Children’s Dental Health Month. Spend some time this month encouraging your child to take care of her precious pearly whites. If your child will be having her first dental visit, you may want to take the time to introduce your child to the dentist. Not all children are like my two daughters who love visiting the dentist. My other two children could take it or leave it. My six year old loves her dentist so much, she begs to go. I cannot figure out why. He is a very nice man but it still baffles me. So, … Continue reading

Photoshop Elements 8 New Features

Have you seen the new features in Adobe Photoshop Elements 8? There are some pretty cool things they’ve added that will help you make your photos just what you want with less effort. One of the things I love about Photoshop Elements (verses the full version of Photoshop) is that it’s target use and audience is for touching up photos easily and quickly. There’s no need to be a Photoshop guru to use Elements because it’s made easy for the end user with presets, menus, and these fabulous new features: Have you ever noticed that you tend to want to … Continue reading

Using Scheduled Combinations to Save

This morning was a pretty busy day. We had a lot of people in and out and a lot of phone calls to make. This is because we used a pretty sturdy strategy to save both money and time. We used combinations. What are combinations? Well, you can have combinations in many different aspects of your schedule and your tasks. You can also call this multitasking, but I like to call it combinations, because unlike typical multitasking, combinations are planned out and don’t always happen at exactly the same time. Here is an example of our morning. We scheduled several … Continue reading

Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day – Judith Viorst

Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day is another one of those classic books that I think every child should read. We all have bad days. Children and adults will laugh and empathize with Alexander’s day. Poor Alexander is a little boy who wakes up with gum in his hair, he trips on his skateboard, and drops his sweater in the sink all on the first page. At breakfast his brothers find prizes in their cereal boxes. All he finds is breakfast cereal. He announces that he thinks he’ll move to Australia. Alexander’s day keeps being terrible. … Continue reading

Managing all the Appointments

There are definitely those stretches of time when I feel like I would love to let go of the “secretary” or “personal assistant” part of my job as a single parent. Between doctor’s appointments, trips to the dentist, meetings with school personnel, college visits, therapists, entrance exams—you can probably see and relate to how just managing the appointments for a moderate-sized family of three kids and one parent can be pretty exhausting! My datebook is a constant mass of scribbles. It gets tough when there are overlapping appointments and one of the realities of my single parent scene is that … Continue reading

Single Parents Need to Keep Good Records

I have to admit that one of the tougher “administrative” things that has come with life as a single parent is how important and challenging it is to keep good records–keeping track of birth certificates, immunization records, social security cards, and other details when there are two parents and two homes can be a very big deal! It seems like it’s not enough just to have two of everything. I think that just about every year in the years since my divorce, my ex has asked me for my kids’ social security numbers. I just keep giving them to him … Continue reading

San Antonio for Children

In addition to being a cultural mecca and a romantic getaway, San Antonio is also fun! If you are traveling with kids, there is something for guests of all ages. [h]The Children’s Museum of San Antonio[/h] Let’s face it– Texas is quite extreme and unpredictable. Try as you might, it is next to impossible to ensure good weather during your trip to san Antonio. It’s a good idea to have a few indoor options, in case of rain or unbearable heat. If you have children between the ages of 2 and 12, the Children’s Museum is a great back-up plan. … Continue reading