Halloween Deals – Week of September 21, 2011

Is it too early to start thinking about Halloween costumes and decorations? The stores certainly don’t seem to think so! There are already having some sales and deals on Halloween stuff. What are your kids going to be for Halloween this year? Target has a Halloween sale. You can save between 5% and 20% on select costumes for kids, and select Halloween accessories and decor from now through September 24, 2011. If you spend at least $50.00 on costumes from their website, you get free shipping. Target has a handy little “costume finder” you can play around with. Choose a … Continue reading

Waiting for Labor

One of my friends is very close to delivery. We were talking the other night about signs of impending labor and I began to reflect on my own experience. Every woman’s story is different, but I have noticed that first babies tend to take their sweet time getting ready. I delivered on a Monday, but my contractions started on the Wednesday prior. It gets stressful when you can’t figure out whether you’re experiencing the real thing or simply false labor. After all, there’s nothing false about false labor. It still hurts, it just doesn’t lead to any progress. Unless you’ve … Continue reading

Pregnancy After Weight Loss Surgery

According to the National Association for Weight Loss Surgery, approximately 100,000 women undergo surgery each year. Some of these women will go on to conceive and have healthy pregnancies. If you have had, or are considering weight loss surgery, there are a few things you should know. Most doctors recommend waiting at least 18 months after surgery before getting pregnant. This allows time for your weight to stabilize after the surgery. Getting pregnant too soon can result in malnutrition of the fetus, which is a serious complication. If you have had fertility issues that are related to weight, you may … Continue reading

Celebrity Updates: It’s All About the Babies

Well, this explains a lot… Ever since Dennis Quaid’s newborn twins were accidentally given a near-fatal overdose of the blood thinner Heparin by staff at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles last fall I (along with millions of others) wondered why the actor chose not to sue the hospital for negligence. After all, Quaid and his wife took almost instant legal action against the drug maker for not labeling the blood thinner correctly. So, why let the hospital off the hook? The famous couple finally answered that question a few days ago. Apparently, the Quaid’s are not letting Cedars off … Continue reading

The Fitness Week in Review for Jan 27-Feb 2

We’ve negotiated a smooth segue from January to February. For most of us, January is a month of transition, we’re recovering from the holidays, we’re going back to school, we’re going back to work, we’re getting started on new work out programs and new goals. February is different though. February means the New Year isn’t just arrived, it’s here, we’re in it, we’re down in the shallow end and we’re starting to really wade out into the year. It’s been an interesting week here for me and as I described in a blog I wrote late yesterday, I’m waiting on … Continue reading

Holidays, New Babies & What Kind of Mom am I?

So your baby was born recently and you are just getting the hang of getting up in the middle of night feedings and changing the diaper while doing three other things at once. You are sleep deprived. When you get a chance to shower it seems like a reason for a national holiday and here you are, looking at the holidays and wondering how do you manage with the baby and the lack of sleep and the fact that you are either going to be traveling or having to endure family and friends descending upon you and your family for … Continue reading

7 Tips for Saving Money on Diapers

Many parents of young children struggle with the cost of diapers. While babies don’t really need as many things as new parents might think, they do need diapers, and they need lots of them. Diapers can carve out a significant amount of the grocery budget. That is why it is so important to use the following ten tips to save money on diapersMany parents of young children struggle with the cost of diapers. . Don’t have young children? You can still benefit when you purchase diapers for pennies and donate them to a shelter or other organization that helps women … Continue reading

When To Start Solids-Part I

Every family is different and every baby within that family is different too. Often, you will hear conflicting information on when it is appropriate to start solid foods for your child. I know some parents who are putting a little rice cereal in the bottle from a very young age to help with reflux issues. Some parents start their kids on solids at around 4-6 months old. And, others rely on a baby led solids approach where they skip over baby food altogether and let their child lead the way as to when they are ready for solid foods. When … Continue reading

Celebrity Moms Adopt – Part 2

Yesterday, I was talking about new moms in Hollywood who have adopted. Trainer Jillian Michaels and partner Heidi Rhoades just welcomed daughter Lukensia after a long adoption process. But, apparently the wait got to be too much for the wannabe moms and Rhoades got pregnant while waiting for the adoption to go through. Right after bringing Lukensia home from Haiti, Rhoades gave birth to the couple’s son, Phoenix. Michaels told PEOPLE, “We’re swimming in babies over here.” Rhoades had initially opted for natural childbirth but after 27 hours of labor, the doctors deemed it necessary to perform a c-section. Michaels … Continue reading

Outdoor Christmas Trees

You may or may not know that I have a slight problem. Hello, my name is Carol and I’m addicted to Christmas decorations. Every year I need something new! Just one more thing will make the display perfect. For a while now I’ve been drooling over those little spiral lighted trees for the front yard. I just have a tiny little front yard and while a blow up Santa would be overkill those little trees would be perfect. The only thing I didn’t like about them was their price. Then it hit me, I can make my own! I came … Continue reading