Cheap Summer Snack Ideas

School is out and the living is easy. Days are filled with fun in the sun, adventures in the yard, camp, amusement parks and more. All of that activity makes kids hungry but reluctant to slow down. Here come the summer snacks to the rescue. Kids can fill up on nutritious high energy snacks without adding additional money to the grocery budget. The secret is all in how you play it. So, while the kids get excited about all of their accomplishments this summer, mom can earn a few extra points with the following cheap snack ideas. Popcorn Homemade popcorn … Continue reading

Smart Reuse Ideas for Buttons

Chances are that you have a bunch of buttons laying around your home. If not, they are easy enough to find cheaply. Put them to good use with these smart reuse ideas. They help solve common problems and save money. Identify Family Towels Don’t waste money rewashing clean towels or going out and purchasing a different color for each family member. Instead identify an individual towel by sewing a button on the lower corner. Use a different color for each family member. This will also make each person responsible for his or her towel, so there should be no more … Continue reading

Fun Summer Ideas for Kids

Boredom doesn’t have to be busted by spending a lot of money. Try one of the following fun summer ideas for kids that are creative and frugal. No more “Mommy, I’m bored” this summer. Pick Blueberries  …Or raspberries, or strawberries. Find a local pick-your-own farm nearby and enjoy the sunshine. Picking berries is a fun and frugal activity for kids, and you get to take the sweet fruit home with you. Make Baggie Ice Cream Forget the expensive ice cream maker. Instead, grab two inexpensive plastic bags for a cool homemade treat. You’ll need a set for each child. Ingredients: … Continue reading

8 Frugal Ideas for the Easter Basket

Pack those Easter baskets for less this year. Here is a list of frugal ideas you can use. Homemade Treats How about some easy-to-make homemade peanut butter cups or bunny-shaped homemade chewy granola bars. These recipes and more can easily be found on Pinterest. Homemade treats are not only less expensive, but they are also free from all of the chemicals that store-bought treats have. Coloring Books Coloring books are so inexpensive, and there are many Easter themed ones out there. The provide a nice foundation for any Easter basket and can be had for a dollar or less. Stuffed … Continue reading

Ideas for Easter Fun Without the Calories

Want to serve up heaping helpings of holiday fun without spending a ton of money on high-fat, high-sugar, high-calorie Easter treats that’ll turn your kids into Energizer bunnies? Take a look in a book. These adorable Easter reads are the perfect addition to a sugar-free holiday basket or a great way to bond in bed with your child as you countdown to Sunday’s visit from the gift-bearing bunny: Easter Bunny on the Loose!:  A Seek and Solve Mystery There’s an emergency in Easterville and your kid gets to play detective.  Wendy Wax and Dave Garbot team up for this fun-filled, … Continue reading

Fun Ideas for a Spring Staycation this Year

For some families, spring break is almost here.  Having a week or two off from school is the ultimate idea of fun for many kids, but for moms and dads the seasonal vacation can be dreadful, especially if money is tight. Fortunately, you don’t have to drop thousands of dollars to make your child’s spring break memorable.  With the price of gas hitting record highs, millions of families are opting to stay close to home this season.  The idea of taking a staycation is even more tempting when you consider how much money you can save while still having … Continue reading

9 Meal Ideas for Leftover Chicken

The prices on whole roasting chicken has been pretty good lately, so I have been finding myself buying quite a few chickens for our meals. My family likes roast chicken, so it isn’t usually a problem, except for the leftovers. They can get a little boring after a while. That is why we usually have one meal of roast chicken (I vary the seasonings), and then use the leftover chicken in new dishes, some of which I can freeze.   Here are my favorite ways to use leftover chicken.   Chicken Pot Pie: You can use a butter crust, shortening … Continue reading

Quick and Easy Holiday Party Ideas

If you want to host a fabulous party but don’t want an equally fabulous bill at the end of it, try one of the following easy holiday party ideas. You can celebrate the season while still staying on budget. Dessert Party Everyone loves desserts, especially during the holidays, when we all want to indulge a little bit. Desserts can be much cheaper than providing a whole spread, especially if you make them yourself from scratch. To save even more money, ask each guest to bring one dessert. Provide the plates, the forks, the spoons and the coffee. Open House During … Continue reading

Can Your Homeschool Blog Earn Money? {Part 3}

In, Can Your Homeschool Blog Earn Money?, Part 1 and Part 2, I discussed the background information you need before starting a blog that has the potential of earning you a profit.  If you missed those two posts, please take time to read them as blogs without a proper foundation do not earn profits. Not all profits can strictly financial but we all want to know now to earn cold hard cash.  There is no easy answer but there are avenues you can take to drive your blog to the bank. Here are some of the most popular ways to … Continue reading

Can Your Homeschool Blog Earn Money? {Part 2}

In part 1 of, Can Your Homeschool Blog Earn Money?, I covered how to create a blog posts that attract readers.  Creating good content is the first step to creating a quality blog.  I cover this in Blogging Tips and Tricks as well.  Today, I want to cover a few more background areas before discussing opportunities, so hang in there.  When I say profitable with regards to your homeschool, I do not simply mean financially. Let’s start by exploring what makes a good homeschool blog. The competition is fierce.  While you need to be aware of what your competitors are … Continue reading