Yoga Asana for High Blood Pressure

High blood pressure is a serious problem that affects one in three adults in the United States, according to the American Heart Association. Yoga offers a wide range of physical and preventive benefits for many health conditions, including high blood pressure. Several studies have shown that yoga can help to lower blood pressure, including studies at the Mayo Clinic and international studies. Stress has been shown to contribute to high blood pressure. For this reason, the American Heart Association recommends stress management techniques to reduce stress and helps prevent high blood pressure. Yoga offers a natural method of stress relief … Continue reading

How Yoga Benefits Blood Pressure

High blood pressure is a condition that poses serious risks, which is why it is also known as the silent killer. Most people turn immediately to drugs when they learn they have high blood pressure. However, there are natural ways to prevent high blood pressure and reduce blood pressure, including yoga. The medical community is beginning to embrace the idea that diet, lifestyle, stress reduction and exercise play an important role in maintaining health. For thousands of years before there was blood pressure medicines, people were keeping blood pressure under control with yoga. There are several yoga postures that are … Continue reading

Is High Blood Pressure In Your Family Medical History?

I have talked before about the importance of knowing your family medical history. The other day I was at a doctor’s appointment and my doctor actually asked me questions about my mother, father, and sister. He even drew a little family tree right there in my medical chart. The reason for his inquiry into my family’s medical history is that I developed high blood pressure during both of my pregnancies. My son was born almost four weeks ago, and my blood pressure is still high enough that I must take medication for it. These current pieces of information regarding my … Continue reading

Study Shows Lack of Sleep can Raise Blood Pressure

As I get older, I realize just how much sleep, or lack thereof, can affect you. For whatever reason, lately I’ve been having trouble sleeping. I know that lack of sleep can make you grouchy and irritable, but today, I read that a study may show that lack of sleep can do even more harm by raising your blood pressure. The study, published in Hypertension, the journal of the American Heart Association, was authored by Dr. Susan Redline, Professor of Sleep Medicine at Brigham and Women’s Hospital and Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center at Harvard Medical School in Boston. The … Continue reading

Your Mother May Have Caused Your High Blood Pressure

High blood pressure is something that tends to run in families. Genealogists who are putting together a medical family tree should make note of their relatives and ancestors who had high blood pressure, because it could indicate that you, or you children, could be at risk of developing it too. There have been many things that have been pointed out as the reason why a person has high blood pressure. A study shows that one reason you have high blood pressure is because of your mother. It may sound like a joke, at first. If you and your mother don’t … Continue reading

Lower Blood Pressure Naturally

High blood pressure, also called hypertension, is a growing concern in the US and around the world. High blood pressure can be caused by excessive stress, emotional distress, and health problems related to the arteries or kidneys and left untreated, high blood pressure can be fatal. There are natural and medicinal remedies to lower blood pressure. Yoga has been shown to help people with high blood pressure. Yoga addresses the stress and emotional balance issues that cause and worsen hypertension and blood pressure decreases with the regular practice of yoga. Yoga is also known to have stress relief benefits, which … Continue reading

Yoga and High Blood Pressure

High blood pressure is a serious health threat. High blood pressure is linked to serious health conditions, such as heart attack and stroke, which is why it is often called the silent killer. There are several medicines for controlling blood pressure and alternative therapies, including yoga, can help control blood pressure. Yoga offers a few benefits for people with high blood pressure. Yoga has been used for centuries to heal the body, improve blood circulation and regulate blood pressure. The regular practice of yoga may reduce blood pressure and offers stress reduction benefits that are particularly important for people with … Continue reading

Low Blood Pressure

High blood pressure gets a lot of press — why it’s bad, what you can do about it, and more. But low blood pressure can be a serious problem, too! What can cause low blood pressure? Standing up quickly — this can cause a brief imbalance in your circulatory system that leaves you feeling light-headed for a moment. Eating a large meal. Standing for a long period of time. This can put you at risk for falling if you get light-headed. Certain medications can cause low blood pressure. Dehydration. Diabetes. If you are experiencing low blood pressure frequently, you should … Continue reading

Increase Exercise Decrease High Blood Pressure

According to new research, for people with high blood pressure, regular exercise can help save their lives. It may sound like a dramatic statement, but experts say the information is on target and can help millions of people with high blood pressure. The study’s conclusions were simple: Elevating one’s heart rate for a mere 30 minutes a day can be the most important lifestyle change people with high blood pressure can make. Simply put, if you suffer from high blood pressure it is imperative that you carve out time to bike, walk, run, swim or participate in some other physical … Continue reading

High Blood Pressure and Dieting

“I have high blood pressure. What diet can I do so that I can lose weight safely?” First, let me say that I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. (I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night either.) I suggest you discuss this with your doctor before trying any weight loss program. Of course, many people with high blood pressure have it as a side effect of being overweight and any doctor treating you for high blood pressure would be thrilled to help you find a diet program that is right for … Continue reading