Bonding With Your Baby Through Feeding Times

There are few things more intimate between a father and his child than when he feeds his baby. When you hold your child and give her the nourishment she needs, it is so precious, and you feel so close to her. You hold her close, and keep her safe and warm in a blanket, and she eats and eats until she’s about to fall asleep. You take a moment to clean her mouth, and then gently burp her. The whole time, she’s nestled up against your chest, safe and sound. It feels like everything is right in the world, and … Continue reading

Synchronous Movement Helps With Bonding

Want to build a stronger bond with your toddler? One way to do that is to incorporate synchronous movement into your lives. Researchers have found that there is something about moving together, the same way, at the same time, that causes the bond between people to strengthen. It is time to play some music and dance with your toddler! Researchers at the Department of Psychology, Neuroscience and Behavior at McMaster University did a study that involved 68 babies. Their study revealed that synchronous movement caused the babies to form social bonds with the person whom they shared the synchronous movement … Continue reading

End the Year With Family Time

New Year’s Eve is the perfect time to take stock of your life and focus on how you can make the most of 2013.  A new year means a fresh start.  Out with bad habits and in with better ones. For busy parents, evaluating the year gone by is a chance to reprioritize; for many that means figuring out ways to spend more time with their children. Of course, there’s no time like the present to get a jumpstart on that resolution.  To illustrate your newfound commitment, consider spending the last days of 2012 bonding with your kids.  Remember, it’s … Continue reading

Bonding With the In-Laws: The Youngest Sibling

One of the weirdest things about marrying into a large family was that I’ve been around for almost the entire life of my littlest brother-in-law.  When Jon and I first started dating, and I met the family for the first time, his youngest brother was only a bit over a year old.  While he knows most of Jon’s other siblings very well, because they all lived at home with him for years (and some still do), Jon wasn’t around much when he was growing up.  So Jon, his own brother, isn’t really that much more of a presence in his … Continue reading

The Gift of Time

We’re coming up on my absolute favorite day of the year. Sunday marks the end of daylight-saving time. Get ready to move those clocks back an hour to standard time and relish the extra 60 minutes of shut-eye. With all due respect to Christmas, Thanksgiving and Mother’s Day, which are all very special occasions, it’s hard to compete against a day that showers millions with the precious gift of time. Think about it; how many times in the course of a single day do you wish you could wave a magic wand and be granted extra time to tackle the … Continue reading

Summer Bonding

Who says you have to fork over thousands of dollars or travel hundreds of miles to strengthen the parent/child bond? During the summer months, many moms and dads feel obligated to spend an exorbitant amount of money on fancy vacations in an effort to build a better relationship with their children. However, child psychologists say the best gift you can give your child while he or she is out of school is good old fashion time. Instead of handing over a wad of cash to your kid and letting him run amuck at the mall while you get some chores … Continue reading

10 Mistakes I Made As a First-Time Mom-Part III

I hope maybe one person might learn from my mistakes. But, the truth is that we all have to make our own as we become first-time Moms. So, maybe you won’t take my advice, and that’s OK. Because by NOT taking my advice, you took it, in a way. Remember what I said in part II of this series about trusting YOUR gut? And, for the first 4 tidbits in this series you can go here. Well, last, but certainly not least, are my final three things I learned from my mistakes as a first-time Mom. 8. Don’t buy a … Continue reading

Balancing Your Time

Childless couples face some different problems than couples with kids, but some of our issues are the same. One problem that I think any married couple has is spending time with one another. The specifics of the problem, however, vary whether or not children are in the equation. It’s well-known that finding time, period, when you have kids is a common conundrum. Finding time to do household chores, take a shower, spend time with your spouse, and still have some alone time can all be troublesome depending how many and what age children you have. Obviously Jon and I don’t … Continue reading

Top 10 Ways to Get Your Kids Excited About Reading: Family Bonding

Do you want to get your kids excited about reading? If so, get ready for the countdown: ten days of ideas that will get you and yours into reading! Today’s challenge? Make reading into a family event. While all of the past suggestions that I’ve made apply to families, today’s ideas focus on reading as a family bonding time. Make a book of family stories, or collect memories from family members. One of my favorite school projects involved collecting stories from my grandfather. I’m sure that you have some family stories floating around. Even if they’re newer stories about what … Continue reading

Bedtime Story Now Airing at Disney World Hotels

If you stay in a Walt Disney World resort, you won’t have to do anything for yourself. Well, that isn’t exactly true, but Disney prides itself on offering special luxuries and letting you just sit back and relax for your vacations. They’re constantly adding new amenities to their resorts, and the latest is certainly unique. Every night from 6 p.m.-10 p.m. channel 38 on the televisions in Disney World resort hotels play a read-along clip from the new children’s book “Duffy the Disney Bear: Mickey’s New Friend.” That’s right: Disney World resorts are now offering to read your children their … Continue reading