Keeping Little Hands Busy, Part One

Keeping little hands busy is important so they don’t get into too much trouble.  Here are five ways to do that easily. 1. Coloring. Simple ideas are often the most effective. A stack of dollar store coloring books and a box of crayons will keep little hands busy. You may want to provide blank paper and assign your child to draw something such as her favorite food, what she wants for her birthday, or her favorite animal. Consider providing markers, colored pencils, and other coloring mediums to add variety. Do A Dots are also a great choice. 2. Make Cookie … Continue reading

Travel Activity Bags to Keep Little Ones Busy

I have a very active four year old. She always complains that things “are taking too long” once we feels the pang of boredom, which is quite often. However, I am always on the run with my other kids. I have to run to soccer, swimming, homeschool co-op meetings, doctor appointments, just to name a few. Most of these activities and appointments require waiting for a four year old. If you are a parent of a four year old then you know that waiting is not so easy. So how can you make waiting a quiet activity and not stressful … Continue reading

Keeping Toddlers Busy when Baby Arrives

Bringing home a baby to a home with a toddler can get hectic. You have a new responsibility that will take up most of your time and you will be on very little sleep. It can be difficult, exhausting and at times overwhelming. Yes, it is a joy but this joy often comes with sacrifice and a loss of sleep. You will need ways to balance your day and keep your toddler busy and happy to make it a smooth adjustment for everyone. Tips: Include Your Toddler in the Day Toddlers love to explore the world around them. Without guidance … Continue reading

A Busy Guy Part II

My two year old, who is almost three, is a really busy guy his non stop energy is …. well non stop! After a very busy morning of running around the house, jumping on the couch or his bed or my bed (I put a stop to that really quickly), dancing to music, playing in the sink with the claim that he is washing his hands, we begin our very busy afternoon with lunch. He will usually sit down to eat his lunch but in a matter of minutes he is up doing the next thing. Since it has been … Continue reading

Be Flexible during the Busy Holiday Season

If there was ever a time in which busyness could become a good excuse for not exercising, it is certainly during the holidays. Most of us are working, taking care of families and trying to find time to make holiday preparations. I feel that stress of trying to get everything done. It is the middle of December and I don’t have all of my gift shopping done. I have yet to bake cookies and there are upcoming parties to attend, let alone planning out Christmas day in which I am hosting. But instead of using busyness during the holiday season … Continue reading

Keeping a Little One Busy in the Car

Summer is here and for many that means family vacation time. Whether you go away for a day trip or a weeklong trip you will need to prepare your preschooler for a long drive. In the past week I have not been on vacation but my family has spent considerable amount of time in the car. The week has been filled with volleyball camp for my teenager and baseball practice and games for my 11 year old. In tow, I have my almost 3 and 6 year old. Our drive takes 20 minutes to get to camp, 2 and ½ … Continue reading

Balancing Workload during the Busy Holiday Season

Balancing your workload during the busy holiday season can be a real challenge. I don’t know about you but I have had a long list of things to do: shopping, baking, and decorating. Well, the list was longer but I will stop there. Just before December hit I made arrangements to take time off from my main source of income, writing web content. I have it set to be off the entire week my children are off from school. I still didn’t know how I was going to squeeze in everything else until then. But then my workload was reduced … Continue reading

Keeping Fit During the Busy Holiday Season

While the holidays is known to be a time of struggle in overcoming the many temptations that face us…Christmas cookies, eggnog and the unending feasts available at Holiday parties…it is also a busy time of year. Busyness can put fitness on the backburner for many people. In fact, December is probably one of the hardest months of the year for fitness enthusiasts. Not only are we faced with many delicious temptations but we oftentimes find we are so busy that squeezing in time for exercise becomes difficult. While you may find your time to be stretched, there are ways you … Continue reading

How To Eat Healthier When You’re Busy

Eating a healthy, balanced diet is important to your health and your baby. Gaining too much weight during pregnancy can lead to dangerous complications; and a diet high in sugar can potentially lead to an oversize baby, which causes its own issues as well. The problem is you are dealing with hormones that affect your appetite and your cravings. Combine those factors with a busy schedule and it becomes extremely difficult to stick to a healthy diet. The solution is a proactive approach with a little bit of planning and preparation. The first step is to think about the types … Continue reading

Excuses, Excuses, Excuses #1: Busy Work

Why is it that students don’t do their homework? What motivates the decision for a student to ignore a task that has been set before them to complete? Why would a student make up reasons for why they were unable to complete their assignments? While I don’t claim to know all of the answers to these questions I certainly see potential clues every day I go to work. If we haven’t met allow me to introduce myself: I’m Kyle and I’m a dad. I’m also a Ph.D. student. I’m also a teacher. I’m also some other things. What’s important, however, … Continue reading