When Homeschool Kids Worry about Socialization

This morning as I drove my kids to their homeschool program my son said, “My friend … said homeschool kids are unsocialized”. Considering the fact that the person in question is also homeschooled, I had to wonder why he would say such a thing. It was akin to my mother’s old habit of telling “yo-mama” jokes… to her own kids. I used to always stop her and say, “You know you’re talking about yourself right”. Of course, that is what made her jokes really funny. Somehow having a homeschooled child inform a bunch of other homeschooled children that they are … Continue reading

Socialization of Homeschoolers in the Upper Grades

I have been observing as my homeschooled kids enter and exit the middle school years, that the socialization that public school advocates say our kids so sorely need actually cannot be avoided. Outside of keeping our kids under a rock, if they spend any time at all in the real world, they will butt heads with the clicks, the bullies, and the manipulators. This phenomenon is intensified when parents pull their kids out of public school to homeschool in the upper grades. When you take a kid that has already been socialized, and often in a negative way, and throw … Continue reading

Why Exactly Are We So Concerned About Socialization Anyways?

**Note: For the purposes of readability, “Americans” in this blog refers to those who were born and raised in the United States and who grew up under our public education system. It is in no way implying that those who live here, but were born and raised in a different country are not Americans. The point is to note the cultural differences in how the two groups in general view the purpose of education and to do that it’s easier to refer to one group as such. Some of you already know that the community in which I live could … Continue reading

Teaching Socialization in a Structured Environment

Some of you may know that I have jury duty this week. You always meet interesting people on jury duty. Yesterday I met a women who warned me of the serious psychological damage I’m doing by not allowing my children to socialize in a structured environment. Generally when people ask the socialization question I prattle off a list of the kids’ activities. The socialization thing is ignorant people’s way of asking if the kids stay home all day. Do they have any friends? It’s a sign that they’re longing to get a glimpse into the homeschooler’s life. Most people thus … Continue reading

Beating a Dead Horse (more on Socialization)

When Valorie Delp blogged about Dr. Phil’s stance on Homeschooling last week, I must say, I was riled. After all, Dr. Phil is one of my few indulgences. I was only thankful that I did not witness with my own eyes him making these blanket statements about an institution he knows nothing about. In response I wrote the following in my personal journal: How is this for socialization? (Written Monday November 20 from Walt Disney World in Orlando Florida) As Valorie has already mentioned, when talking to a new person about homeschooling our kids, they do not ask how your … Continue reading

Let’s just stop answering the socialization question!

Valorie Delp recently wrote the following in the homeschool blog entitled The Questions Continue Part 3: The Big Socialization Question: Socialization is the first thing that many homeschoolers get asked about. However, I actually do not believe that public schools are in a better position to promote socialization than home schooling is. Being such a popular question, I decided that this was a good subject for me to start with. When recently asked for what seemed like the thousandth time, if my homeschooled children were socialized, I fear I insulted the woman by exclaiming how much I hate that question. … Continue reading

The Questions Continue Part 3: The Big Socialization Question

This is part of an ongoing series discussing home schooling and public schooling. In Kaye’s latest blog she asks some excellent questions regarding home schooling. She asked so many questions in fact, it took me three blogs to answer them all! Her final questions pertain however, to the question of socialization: How do my kids meet friends, learn to get along with others, make good friendships, etc. if they are home all the time. I’m sure by now, Kaye has no doubts that we are not ‘home all of the time’. I had up until now, avoided blogging on socialization … Continue reading

Can Your Homeschool Blog Earn Money? {Part 2}

In part 1 of, Can Your Homeschool Blog Earn Money?, I covered how to create a blog posts that attract readers.  Creating good content is the first step to creating a quality blog.  I cover this in Blogging Tips and Tricks as well.  Today, I want to cover a few more background areas before discussing opportunities, so hang in there.  When I say profitable with regards to your homeschool, I do not simply mean financially. Let’s start by exploring what makes a good homeschool blog. The competition is fierce.  While you need to be aware of what your competitors are … Continue reading

Children do not Socialize Children; Adults Socialize Children

I want to do something a bit unusual and share with you a comment that has been going around Facebook the last few days regarding homeschool and socialization. The comment is by a woman named Joy, who did not homeschool, but wanted to share words of encouragement. Her words are so special and uplifting, I think every homeschool parent or parents who are deciding on homeschooling, needs to read. “I have been teaching at the university level for 13 years. During that time, I have worked with many home schooled young people. They have been among my most well-prepared and … Continue reading

Inclusive Fun for Kids With Special Needs

Parents who have kids with special needs quickly discover that the majority of playgrounds were not designed to accommodate all children. Here is a brief list of places to play, and have fun, that do include kids who have special needs. We need more of these! Sky High Sports is an indoor playground with plenty of trampolines to bounce on and some foam pits to jump into. The Sky High Sports in Naperville, Illinois, sets time aside for kids who have special needs. On the first Tuesday of every month, from 3:00 in the afternoon until 6:00 in the afternoon, … Continue reading