AAP: Breastfeeding for 2 Months Lowers Risk of SIDS

The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), citing a study, states that breastfeeding for at least two months decreases the risk of SIDS. This information can help lower the rate of infant mortality. SIDS is an acronym for Sudden Infant Death Syndrome. SIDS is an unexpected death of a seemingly healthy infant that is less than a year old which happens while the baby is sleeping. The syndrome is also called “crib death” because the infants often die in their cribs. The AAP pointed out a study that was titled “Duration of Breastfeeding and Risk of SIDS: An Individual Participant Data … Continue reading

Fans May Reduce the Risk of Sudden Infant Death

Sudden Infant Death Syndrome, or SIDS, is an as yet unexplained phenomena that takes the lives of many babies each year. It is defined as the sudden death of a child under one year of age that cannot be explained. The highest risk of SIDS seems to take place between the ages of two and four months old, and as any parent who has checked their quiet child in the middle of the night knows, it is a scary possibility. The Back to Sleep campaign, launched in the 90s has made significant progress in reducing the number of SIDS deaths, … Continue reading

Co-Sleeping Versus Bed Sharing

Having a baby brings all sorts of controversial things into your life. Will you breast feed or bottle feed? Did you have a “natural” pregnancy or one with the help of pain medication. Do both parents work, or does one stay home? People have strong opinions on these topics. Then there are the sleeping arrangements. The decision on where your baby sleeps can not only be an issue of parenting choices, but one of safety as well. You might be surprised to learn that the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) actually recommends the practice of co-sleeping. But, before you jump … Continue reading

How Long Do You Have to Worry About SIDS?

Here is yet another blog inspired by recent discussion in the forums. Several discussions have popped up lately regarding babies sleeping on their backs and other bedtime behavior that we’ve all been told not to allow. Back to Sleep The Back to Sleep campaign is an educational campaign that seeks to educate new parents on the dangers of putting your baby to sleep on their tummies. Since the campaign started, statistics show almost a 50% decrease in the incidences of SIDS. While I don’t think it can be exclusively attributed to the back to sleep campaign*, there certainly is a … Continue reading

Is SIDS Really Caused by Co-Sleeping?

I have written numerous articles on co-sleeping, on my belief that it reduces the risks of SIDS, that it helps breastfeeding mothers and that indeed, “sharing sleep” with our twins was the only way that I survived the twins’ first year. When we started co-sleeping with our daughter in 1999, it was still considered a weird practice. It wasn’t talked about much and there hadn’t been a lot of studies on it at that point. This week however, a nine month study by Scripps Howard News Service has suggested that most babies who died of SIDS, really died of accidental … Continue reading

Is Swaddling Overrated?

Parents of colicky babies everywhere are encouraged to shush, swish and swaddle. The three S’s are the only thing that seem to bring some babies comfort and relief. I however, was not blessed with any of those babies. While all of my children were content in their slings and mei tais, not a single one was interested in becoming a cute little human burrito. I thought I was doing it wrong, but even the nurses who were supposed experts couldn’t get my babies to like having their body parts all mushed up close to their bodies. What can I say? … Continue reading

Flat Head Syndrome Is On the Rise

Flat Head Syndrome has been on the rise since the 1990’s, correlating specifically with the “Back to Sleep” campaign in which parents are advised to put their baby to sleep on their backs to reduce the risks of SIDS. Flat Head Syndrome, or positional plagiocephaly is not a dangerous condition. It can be confused with other more serious conditions so it is something to watch however, if you are taking your baby to his/her well baby check ups, your pediatrician will definitely check out your baby’s head and will let you know if it is more serious. Generally though, positional … Continue reading

Car Seats Put Infants at Risk for SIDS?

I have to say right off the bat that my title for this is misleading. (But truth be told, I couldn’t think of an appropriately short title. . .) So here is my disclaimer: you should always put your infant in a car seat while driving. Car seats in and of themselves are not dangerous. But new research suggests you might want to avoid long errands out and make sure your seat is fitted properly to your vehicle when your infant is young. A study, done in a university in Canada reconstructed the unexpected deaths of approximately 500 infants over … Continue reading

Using a Baby Hammock

Today, a popular bed or resting place for a baby is a special hammock. This type of hammock is made for small bodies and designed for both indoors or outdoors. The one thing to remember with any hammock, whether for an adult or baby, is that constant supervision is required. With a baby hammock, in addition to giving your child his or her own sleeping quarters for camping trips, the hammock can also be used as the baby’s bed, or rolled up and taken with you while on vacation or visiting family or friends. Over the years, a number of … Continue reading

The Great Pacifier Debate

I was recently shocked to find that the AAP was encouraging the use of pacifiers while baby sleeps. It seems that the use of a pacifier while baby is sleeping helps reduce the risk of SIDS. Interestingly, they readily admit that there are some negatives to using a pacifier. Still, according to the AAP, the fact that the use of a pacifier lowers the risk of SIDS, outweighs the other possible negative effects of pacifier use. I may be bold, but I’m not so sure I agree with the AAP. I have tended to disagree on many of their positions … Continue reading