Cheap Home Schooling Supplies

Home schooling your children is a noble profession. You get to teach your children everything that they need to know to become adults and succeed in life. Unfortunately, most of the time any books and other supplies that you use in the process have to be paid directly out of your family budget. And, these home schooling books and supplies can get pretty expensive. Here are some ways to cut down on that expense by getting the supplies for less money. Check out the dollar or discount store I have found so many great workbooks at the dollar store that … Continue reading

Things to Consider Before Homeschooling

Is homeschooling the best choice for your child, your family, and yourself? That is a question that parents must give serious thought to as they are making the decision about whether or not to start homeschooling a child. Here are some important things to consider before you make the transition from public school to homeschooling. Can you afford to homeschool? Parents who are displeased by the public school that their child has been assigned to might be thinking about homeschooling instead. After all, homeschooling is obviously cheaper than the tuition that a private school would charge. Keep in mind that … Continue reading

Cheap and Creative

Tis the season for super savings on school staples. With the summer coming to a rapid end, just about every discount retailer known to man is offering spectacular sales on back-to-school items, from spiral notebooks for a penny to double-pack Sharpies for a mere 25 cents. In most cases, the deepest discounts are reserved for generic items. If you are on a budget, then you’re probably not worried about getting a notebook covered with cute animated characters or the latest and greatest teen heartthrob. However, your kid might. Fortunately, with a little creativity, you and your child can turn boring … Continue reading

Preschool: Frugal Suggestions

1. Online Resources: You can find preschool lessons, coloring pages and activities for free from these sites: Chubbie Cubbie’s Preschool and Curriculum Apples 4 the Teacher Starfall Kinderprintables First-School Preschool Activities and Crafts For only $20, you can join Enchanted Learning for one year. This is one of my favorite sites for fun printable activities. In the long run it is less expensive than buying several workbooks. 2. Frugal Field Trips: Preschoolers like to keep active. They learn best through play and exploration. Field trips are a great way to engage your child and spark curiosity about the world. A … Continue reading

Back-to-School Broke

Just as my bank account was recovering from funding summer camps, soccer lessons, new swimsuits, pool fees, daily DQ runs and July jaunts to major theme parks, I’m being buried by back-to-school bills. I am officially back-to-school broke and classes around here don’t start for another two weeks. I kvetched when I saw Target and Wal-Mart employees replacing Fourth of July displays with school supplies, but then I realized that many kids are forced to head back to class at the end of July. Thousands of year-round students that attend Chicago Public Schools start the new academic year on Monday. … Continue reading

School Supply Shopping

It’s that time of year—the time when all the school supplies are on sale. Pens! Pencils! Notebooks! Glue! It’s almost more than I can stand—I love all that stuff. It’s tempting to run around and put ten of everything in your cart, isn’t it? But for the most part, homeschoolers aren’t all that wealthy (why is that, anyway?) and we often need to shop wisely for the things we need. I encourage you to think about your family dynamics as you make your shopping list. Children who are homeschooled don’t have a daily need for backpacks and lunchboxes, so don’t … Continue reading

I’m Stocking Up on School Supplies

Can you believe that it is already time to start stocking up on school supplies? As soon as that calendar hit August 1st, the sales have started. Are you taking advantage of them? Do you have some good ideas for all of those cheap or free supplies? I do! We have a number of things coming up in August and September, so I really wanted to get all of the back to school stuff out of the way as early as possible. My son already has a backpack from previous years, and we purchased one for my daughter, a soon-to-be … Continue reading

Back to School in July

We are in the middle of a heat wave here on the East Coast, with temperatures more than 100 degrees today. The kids are alternating between helping their father do some landscaping on his day off and running through a sprinkler set up on the driveway. It is definitely a scorcher. Meanwhile, I am in the house, preparing for back to school. Yes, that seems strange, and no, we don’t have a year around school here. But now is a good time to get started on back to school, because it helps to save money. Shortly after the Fourth of … Continue reading

Home Schooling Is Cheaper Than Public School

Being able to home school my girls was a choice I was glad I made. Not only could I see over their education and spend quality time with them, but it was far cheaper than public school. Back when I was a kid public school was free. Each child got their books, pencils, paper, art supplies, and many other school supplies for free. We’d even go on several field trips throughout the year, all for free as well. About the only thing my parents had to pay for was my lunch. Times have definitely changed, especially over the last decade. … Continue reading

Frugal Birthday Gifts for Preschoolers

We love going to birthday parties. However, my post-Christmas budget does not always enjoy the cost of birthday presents. We need to bring one, of course, and it needs to have some sort of four-year-old wow factor. But what to bring, and how can we be frugal about it? I have been creating a few birthday gifts for preschoolers lately. My favorite preschooler birthday gift is the play silk. These are easy to get from Dharma Trading or other online retailers, and you can often find blank white silks in art stores too. Dye them with some Koolaid powder and … Continue reading