College Cuts Reduce Teachers in Disability Program

Your child’s education doesn’t necessarily have to end when high school is over. Unfortunately, it isn’t so easy to find college programs that are designed to include students who have special needs. When colleges choose to cut teaching positions from the special needs program, it really hurts the students who rely on their assistance. When budgets get tight, something has got to go. Lately, it seems that colleges that are facing budget problems are choosing to alleviate their financial distress by making cuts to the special needs programs. I’m not sure how much this improves the budget of a college, … Continue reading

What to Consider When Getting a Bird

Now that I’ve covered the things we should think about when adopting America’s two most beloved pets, cats and dogs, it’s time to branch out into the other many species of pets commonly available. Today I’m going to go over the basics of what to think about when getting a bird. It’s hard to cover the details required when considering getting a bird, because unlike most breeds of cats and dogs, different types of birds often require very different types of care. Still, there are some universal ideas to ponder when determining whether or not your lifestyle is appropriate for … Continue reading

Graduation—Part Four—Managing the Invitations and Announcements

In the old days, I like to think that it was a much simpler process to announce a high school graduation. In fact, I think things were pretty homogenized when I graduated and I simply had to order the announcements through the school—everyone’s looked alike and then I can’t remember if I addressed them and mailed them out or my mom did (I’m pretty sure it was me.) Regardless, it seemed a fairly easy and painless process. With my daughters, however, the invitations/announcements have been a bit of a bigger deal. First, my daughters decided they wanted to do a … Continue reading

Living in a Dorm

There has been some discussion in our Families.com forums about dorm rooms and college. It seems that sophomores may have a harder time with getting appropriate housing arrangements. Since some of you will be sending your children off to live in a college dorm this fall, I have decided to share information on the different types of housing that most colleges offer. Some universities require freshmen to live in a college dorm room. After the freshmen year, students may move into an apartment off campus or remain living in the dorm. I think that most universities have chosen this policy … Continue reading

Introducing My Family

It’s good to be back up and running here at the adoption blog, and great to be working with Rachel. I will miss hearing about Ed’s boys, but I’m thrilled for Rachel’s newest addition (and addition-to-be!) The final two blogs of my series on children’s books with adoption themes are now published, so I invite you to check them out! It’s occurred to me that, while I’ve shared important pieces of our family’s story and some of my feelings along the way, I’ve tended to be more informational and reflective in my writing. I don’t intend to change that, but … Continue reading