Christian Rock Music

There are those out there who believe Christian Rock music is too worldly and some that even believe that the beat is Satan driven. I’d like to share with you why I feel differently. When I was younger, I was really into rageful and sometimes depressing rock music. There are 2 main things that drew me into it; the beat and the lyrics. I was drawn into the music because I could relate with many of the lyrics. The beat of the music brought out the emphasis and passion in how I felt. In hind sight, I can see it … Continue reading

Can You Be a Christian and Not Go to Church?

Can you be a Christian and not go to church? It is something I have been thinking about, because I have not been to church for three weeks. However, in my defense I can say it is not by choice. The sprit is willing. Unfortunately the body is not. And I miss it. I miss leading the congregation in song. Thankfully God has provided others to step up in the interim and help out in that way. I miss hearing God’s Word preached and our pastor’s sermons. I miss hearing people praying for each other. It is often during those … Continue reading

Discordant Music

On Saturday I watched two DVDs. A Man Called Peter, adapted from the book by his wife, Catherine Marshall, is one I have watched numerous times before. One thing that struck me in A Man Called Peter was his description of marriage. ‘Marriage is a oneness, divine and indivisible.’ Peter Marshall had a lot more to say about marriage. Why not check out the movie? It is a love story between a man and his God, as well as a man and a woman. Dear John adapted from the book by Nicholas Sparks is also a love story and this … Continue reading

Listen to the Music

What purpose does music and singing serve in church? To some people it may seem a pointless exercise. I mean how many other places do people gather together and sing? At a football game when passions are aroused or possibly at a karaoke night if that is your thing. So it’s not common for people to get together and sing these days, so why do it at church? Some people think it’s to set the mood. But music does more than that. When it is done properly music can set the whole tone of the service, it can reinforce the … Continue reading

The Influence of Music

Have you ever noticed the power of music to influence your moods, attitudes and actions? It’s no wonder experts have discovered music therapy. Last week at church we sang two songs. One was, ‘To live is Christ.’ That song has encouraged me and challenged me throughout this week to look at how I respond to what is happening in my life. Am I responding as Jesus would? Am I showing Christ to the world in the way I speak, the things I say and do? ‘No matter what price I pay, I choose to give this life away.’ Notice it’s … Continue reading

What’s Most Important with Church Music?

When you’re in charge of church music, the saying ‘you can’t please all the people all the time,’ is never truer. Everyone has an opinion! I remember one woman complaining one song was ‘an awful noise.’ What she meant was the song wasn’t to her taste, even though the truths in it were scriptural. Is it any wonder churches end up splitting over church music? Church music is as varied as the people who attend church. When Queen Angie asked about church music on a forum she got answers that ranged from traditional and bell choirs to jazz or contemporary/pop. … Continue reading

Heartbreaking Loss for Christian Singing Superstar

There are no words to describe the gut wrenching pain Grammy award-winning Christian singer Steven Curtis Chapman and his family are experiencing today. An unimaginable tragedy struck the tight-knit group yesterday when Chapman’s youngest daughter was killed in the family’s driveway… by her teenage brother. While all the details of the devastating accident have yet to be confirmed, according to updated police reports that were released just hours ago, Chapman’s 5-year-old daughter suffered fatal injuries when an SUV driven by her brother accidentally struck her. Police say the girl, named Maria Sue, was playing in the driveway of her family’s … Continue reading

7 Tips for Christian Parenting

In my last blog I looked at the way, despite a similar upbringing, children showed different personality traits and interests. But is it possible for characteristics to be attributed to environment and upbringing? Below are seven things consistent in our parenting and the results. 1. From the time our children were young, my husband and I prayed for them and with them. We prayed for their safety but also for their commitment to Jesus and their spiritual growth. They both made commitments to Christ at an early age and then grew in that faith. To help with this, we read … Continue reading

The Power of Music

Until last week when we sang it at church, ‘Made me Glad,’ was a song I had never heard and certainly hadn’t sung. But after singing it, I found an interesting thing happened. This week that song stayed with me, the lyrics imbedded in my head appearing at various times of the day and night. Throughout a busy week those words under girded each day. Some examples were: When I had to do something I had not attempted before When I had to stand up for what I believed against a number of others When I was sad because plans … Continue reading

Holiday Music on the Web

What if you could have an endless supply of great holiday music all day long without once ever having to change a CD or cue up a playlist? Thanks to the Internet, you can! There are several websites that stream in music to fill your home with the festivities of the season. I have to confess that I have been playing Christmas music here in our home since this past weekend. But it really isn’t all of my fault. I blame it all on my friend, Laura, who told me about this favorite website called AccuRadio. And right now, AccuRadio … Continue reading