With Freedoms Come Responsibility

You will often hear me refer to Dr. Phil as I write some of these blogs on teenagers. He does a great job at tackling some of the issues that teens deal with today. One of the running themes that I see in virtually every show of his that deals with teenage issues is a sense of entitlement. Many teens believe that they are entitled to things, not just material possessions but it can come in the way of freedom. They feel like they are so close to adulthood that they have the right to do things that adults do. … Continue reading

What La Leche League Can Do For You

Yes, I sound like a PR person for La Leche League, I know. But really – how many of you think that La Leche League is an organization for radical breastfeeders? Hands up! Ok, check. That’s what I thought too. However, that was until I actually met the folks in our local group. Granted, LLL groups differ, but here is what you can expect from an LLL meeting. You can expect a well-run meeting, but one that is more casual than you might be used to if you’ve been in the corporate world. La Leche League meetings tend to have … Continue reading

Wrong Reasons to Adopt

There isn’t anything wrong with wanting to adopt because you would like to parent a child and provide a loving home. These are typically the same reasons many couple’s conceive biologically. The problem is so many people want to adopt for the wrong reasons—even if their heart means well. Some of the wrong primary motivations for adoption are not wrong as a “bonus”, however to those who find justification in some of the examples provided below, I suggest visiting a local animal shelter instead. Children being placed for adoption often have needs beyond what biological or birth children have. Adoption … Continue reading

Celiac Disease, Autism, PTSD, and More!

This week, the Special Needs Blog included a wide variety of topics. There were blogs about Celiac Awareness Day, things that may cause autism, PTSD, a special needs friendly playground, support groups, and a bizarre story about involving an isolation room. These blogs went up between September 10, 2012, and September 15, 2012. September 13 is National Celiac Awareness Day National Celiac Awareness Day is a day to honor the birthday of Samuel Gee MD, the pediatrician who published the first clinical description of celiac disease. It is also a day to bring awareness to what celiac disease is, and … Continue reading

Screaming Baby Makes Headlines

No parent enjoys listening to her child wail at the top of his lungs. This is exponentially true if said child is wailing at the top of his lungs in public. So, imagine being the Oregon mom whose baby would not stop screaming during a recent bus ride. According to reports, the infant was so inconsolable that both mom and baby got booted from the moving vehicle by an irate bus driver. ABC News reports that the bus driver simply got fed up listening to the bawling baby and ordered the mother and her sobbing child off the bus and … Continue reading

Establishing a Bedtime Routine

As a parent of four children I have experienced all kinds of sleeping issues. I have been up with a child far past the time a child should be sleeping through the night. I have been up with a child experiencing nightmares. I have been invaded in my bed by a child who could not sleep alone. I have had the luxury of having a child who slept 12 hours from the time she was 8 weeks old. In addition, I have dealt with issues of night waking and putting a child to bed who resisted until sleep finally took … Continue reading

Are You a Good Mother?

Here is how to tell if you are a good mother or a bad mother. As moms, we are constantly worried whether or not that we are good mothers. Our child falls at the playground: bad mother. We hold our baby through three hours of colicky crying without once getting upset: good mother. We let our child eat candy before dinner: bad mother. You get the picture. We are quick to judge other mothers, too. That one yells too much, this one doesn’t discipline her child, that other one over there lets her child watch television all day. To the … Continue reading

Preterm Birth and Post Partum Depression

Post Partum Depression is a condition that affects many new mothers. It appears that mothers of preterm infants may be at increased risk of suffering depression after baby arrives. A study conducted at The State University of New York at Buffalo and published in the American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology looked at the association between preterm birth, low birth weight and post partum depression. The study found the strongest correlation in baby’s born with low birth weight and post partum depression in their mothers. The additional stress caused by having a baby early combined with medical issues compound feelings … Continue reading

Who Takes Up More Time—the Kids or the Pets?

Sometimes it is a real toss-up for me as to who requires more attention, care and discipline—is it my kids? Or is the pets? Even though my kids are all in their late teens, they can still get somewhat needy and demand a great deal of parenting attention. Still, with three lively cats—one of whom who is still very much a naughty kitten—I wonder why I cannot figure out how to simplify my life!? I confess that I am not someone who thinks that pets can be a substitute for children—there are similarities but it is not quite the same. … Continue reading

The Baby Blog in Review: September 16 to September 29

It’s that time of the week again when I review what’s happening in the baby blog. If you have reading to catch up on, go grab a cup of coffee and have a seat! Sept 16 Why Use a Baby Hammock? A baby hammock is a great way to help ease your little one back to sleep because instead of producing a motorized motion, a hammock sways and bounces with the babies own movements. Therefore, when the baby stirs, the hammock responds and gently lulls baby back to sleep. Sept 17 How to Dress Your Baby for Cold Weather Stop … Continue reading