Pharaoh, Moses and the Light within the Source of Evil

This week’s Parsha starts with the word “Bo,” when G-d tells Moshe Rabbeinu to “come” to Paro (Pharaoh). Something immediately seems unusual about this; Why does Moshe say “come” to Paro instead of “Go” to Paro? “Come” implied “Come with me.” The Zohar says that Moshe was intimidated at the prospect of facing Paro. Buy why would the highest level of kedusha in human form, the outward manifestation of Divine Wisdom, Moshe Rabbeinu, be afraid of Paro, even though Paro was the epitome of evil? Paro’s deeds and wicked commands truly made him seem like the epitome of evil. But … Continue reading

Does Love Conquer All?

My husband and I are not huge movie goers but yesterday we took ourselves off to the movies to see ‘Enchanted.’ And we were! What a fun movie with lots of laughs. I suspect it was a Disney film doing a send up of Disney animated films. Given the G rating I expected there would be lots of children present and there were parents and children but also a number of adults like us in couples or on their own and teenage boys in front of us. Judging by the reaction from the audience, there was not a person there … Continue reading

Housework – The Bane Of My Existance

Housework is the bane of my existence. I would much rather be writing, reading, scrap booking, or playing with my kids. I even prefer doing laundry and cooking to the mundane tasks of cleaning my bathrooms, doing the dishes, and sweeping or vacuuming the floors. Yet housework is a necessary evil. I like having a clean house. I just don’t like cleaning it. Someday when I’m rich (if that day ever comes) I will hire someone to clean my house. Then I get the rewards without the work. But for now I am the official housekeeper. When I finally do … Continue reading

Mammograms: A Necessary Non-Evil

The mammogram has been in existence for more than thirty years and it is probably the single most important tool that the medical community has in the fight against breast cancer. Although mammograms cannot prevent breast cancer, they can help to save the lives of those afflicted by providing a means for early detection and evaluation. This means that many more women being treated for the disease will not have to lose their breasts. Mammograms, however, like most other things in life, are not perfect. Breast cancer can still hide within normal breast tissue, resulting in a “false negative” finding. … Continue reading

101 Dalmatians Book and Movie: Always Charming

The 1956 book “The Hundred and One Dalmatians” by Dodie Smith is a very English, very droll story of married Dalmatians Pongo and Missis, and their also-married pets, Mr. & Mrs. Dearly.  You read that right: Missis.  Perhaps the biggest surprise (to me) reading the novel on which the Disney film was based, was to discover that Pongo’s wife was not called Perdita, but Missis.  Even stranger is when a dog named Perdita appears.  She’s a liver (brown)-spotted Dalmatian that serves as a wet nurse for Missis, who cannot handle the milk load required by 15 puppies. Perdita’s own pups … Continue reading

Unpleasant Wedding Humor

I love injecting humor into weddings. The occasion can sometimes be taken too seriously, either made especially solemn or fraught with the nerves of invested parties that want everything to be perfect. So I’m all about taking things a little more lightly; my imagined and actual wedding invitations are proof of that. What I can’t get behind, however, is a certain brand of humor I often see or hear about at weddings or in the course of wedding planning. I hesitate to call it chauvinist or sexist but that’s ultimately what it is, or at least it springs from the … Continue reading

Mother Petitions to Remove Kindergartener’s Arrest Record

About a week ago, a kindergartner threw a tantrum while she was at school. This was not a typical, age appropriate, tantrum. The school ended up calling the police, and now, the six year old has an arrest record. Her parents have started a petition to remove any record of the girl’s arrest, and to end the use of police in school discipline. This story started at an elementary school in Milledgeville, Georgia. A six year old kindergarten student had a tantrum. It isn’t unheard of for young children to throw a tantrum every once in a while. The thing … Continue reading

“Newsies” Show Debuts on Sunday

I can’t believe it’s actually happening. Almost a year ago I wrote about how “Newsies” was slated for Broadway, but although I read reports about it happening I didn’t quite believe they would come to fruition. But they have. “Newsies” opens on September 25 at the Paper Mill Playhouse in New Jersey, only 25 miles from Manhattan. It runs through October 16, and if it’s successful, who knows, it could come back for more. In further proof of the musical’s existence the Disney Blog has a variety of videos about the show, from rehearsal clips to an interview with composer … Continue reading

The Return of the Dark Fairy Tale

When studying the feminist evolution of the Disney princesses I came to the conclusion that it was time for Disney to once again reinvent the fairy tale for contemporary audiences. It seems that might be happening, though perhaps not in the way I’d expect. In the past year or so I’ve read a number of reports indicating that one of the latest trends in proposed films is the “dark fairy tale.” Several studios are green lighting movies that take classic fairy tales and “de-Disneyfy” them, supposedly turning them back to their darker roots. Whether or not the true sources of … Continue reading

Be Like Moses: The Ultimate Plea

In perhaps one of the most startling moments in the Bible, Moses confronts G-d about the treatment of the Children of Israel at the hands of their slavemasters the Egyptians; “Why have you done evil to your people?” he exclaims. I remember as a child feeling very startled at this. How could Moses of all people have the chutzpah (or rather, the holy chutzpah) to talk to G-d like that? Aside from the very boldness of the statement, one could also as how could Moses, who had access to the highest levels of divine knowledge and was the greatest prophet … Continue reading