I Feel Guilty …

Last Friday night, I was the passenger in a car accident that involved getting slammed twice by a semi truck on black ice. I’m feeling so very blessed right now – I’m stiff and sore, my head hurts, and I have five ribs out, but it was my door that took the most impact, and by all logical standards, I should be dead. I have thanked God countless times in the last five days for my life. It’s been hard, though, to keep putting all this weight on my husband. My health this year has really been up and down, … Continue reading

No Reason to Feel Guilty

Summer is finally starting to wind down. School is just around the corner and I have to admit, I am looking forward to it. I recently posted something on my Facebook page about how I was starting to count down the days until school starts. A couple of comments revealed something to me, moms are sometimes afraid to admit that they want their children to go back to school. It has been a great summer. I appreciate the fact that I was able to spend some extra time with my children and that my family was able to enjoy a … Continue reading

Do You Feel Guilty When You Get Sick?

For some reason, many of us not only try to avoid admitting when we are getting sick or have come down with an illness, but to actually feel guilty when we do. As if it is shows some weakness or is some failing on our part. While it may not feel like there is room for illness in a single parent’s life, illness can be our body’s way of telling us to slow down and take care of ourselves or it can be an opportunity for us to learn how to let go of the guilt and feelings of weakness. … Continue reading

Single Parents and Guilt–Part Two–When Others Work to Make You Feel Guilty

We’ve talked about how we can carry around guilt ourselves as single parents and ways to dig in and figure out where it is coming from and letting it go–but the truth is, guilt is not always self-generated. Sometimes, our single parent guilt is originating from people and situation outside of us. We might have an ex partner or spouse who is “laying on the guilt” because we have moved on; we may have family and friends who are putting their own values and belief systems onto us and trying to make us feel guilty for whatever reasons. What can … Continue reading

How to Cope When a Customer Tries to Make You Feel Guilty

We’ve all been there–either a coworker, boss, colleague or customer/client is trying to manipulate us into doing something that we have stated we won’t, or get us to do extra work, cover for someone else or just feel guilty for whatever reason. For some people, this seems to be the main way they interact with other people. Here are some tips for how NOT to feel guilty and what to do when you have to cope with someone who is a real guilt monger: The first thing to understand that guilt is all about trying to get you sucked into … Continue reading

Do You Feel Guilty for Telling “Fibs” to Your Kids?

Okay, so you’re wondering what constitutes a “fib”? I recently heard a group of parents talking about things they had done to help their kids change bad habits–everything from creating fairies and magic to scare away monsters, to giving up security blankets and pacifiers by sending them off to poor children in developing countries. I confess that I used to tell my kids that if I gave in to one of their unsafe or unsavory requests, I would lose my “mom license.” It was a fib, of course, and while it worked at the time–they do now hold all my … Continue reading

103 Reasons NOT to Feel Guilty

I found a list in the March 2005 issue of babytalk. I thought it was cute. It’s 103 Things Not To Feel Guilty About. Here are some of my favorite ones that relate to being a parent. (1) Lusting after your childless friends travel plans. (2) Not wanting to go back to work after having a baby. (3) Dressing the baby in whatever’s on top of the laundry pile. (4) Calling home to check on the babysitter every 15 minutes or so. (5) Wanting to talk about the baby during a night out. (6) Wanting to talk about anything but … Continue reading

Ten Things That Make Me Feel Guilty (How DO I Live with Myself?)

It takes very little to make me feel guilty. Maybe it was my strict Catholic upbringing, but I often feel guilty for doing things that are in any way for me or about me – it feels too selfish. Moms are supposed to be completely self-sacrificing, aren’t we? I guess that’s why it’s so easy for me to come up with a surefire “guilty” list. These are my Top 10: 1. Wanting to sit down once in awhile without an animal (cat or dog or both) immediately jumping into my lap. “Me” time always turns into “us” time! 2. Not … Continue reading

Feeling Guilty and Sharing Happiness

Another aspect of not taking responsibility for actions is one person trying to lay a guilt trip on their spouse. Often it occurs where they are plainly in the wrong but instead of admitting it, they get around it my making others feel guilty. This is often is done by sly comments making yourself out it be a better person or more spiritual or forgiving or whatever. Mick and I have been on the receiving end of such comment before today, not so much from each other but from others if we didn’t do what they thought we should. We … Continue reading

Finding Me Time And Not Feeling Guilty About It

Anyone who’s a single parent knows it’s a full-time job and then some. You fulfill the role as maid, nurse, cook, disciplinarian, leader, handyman, psychologist, friend, confidant, teacher, and more. Combined with the fact that I homeschooled my kids and had a full-time job, so I could pay the bills, keep a roof over our heads, and clothes on our backs, it left no time for “me” time. Or so I thought. I went through two decades of setting myself aside so I could take care of the house, the kids and everything else that was crammed into my already … Continue reading