Pooper Scoopers: From Frugal to Fancy

Recently I had to break down and buy something to scoop up Murph’s poop with. Normally I use grocery sacks for poop sacks, but because of our impending move I haven’t been shopping at the grocery store much. The following list covers more of the portable variety of pooper scoopers. (The kind you’d carry along with you on a walk, as opposed to scoopers you might keep for yard “doo”ty.) Frugal End • Free: Plastic sacks from the grocery store. These are my preferred sack of choice because they are free. They’re not always ideal, as sometimes they have holes … Continue reading

Doing Laundry With Frugal Style

Do you like doing laundry? There is something wonderful about making things clean again. Then again, there is something rather icky about that cat-vomited, kid-messy, sticky mass you shove into the washing machine. I am of two minds about laundry. Laundry can be a time suck if you let it. We only have three people (and three cats) in our family, and it takes up a bit of time. It used to take up more time, though. These days, I’m in a frugal and time-friendly laundry groove. Yeah. How can you reduce the time you spend doing laundry? Get proactive. … Continue reading

Ready… Aim… Poop!

“Ready, aim, fire!” I’m convinced that if my daughter could talk, she’d be saying that phrase every time I change her diaper. During her week-long stay in the hospital, she successfully pooped on my mom, my husband, the nurses, and me. She’s a pro at fooling people into thinking she’s done pooping. She’ll let out a bunch of grunts, accomplish a few good poop explosions, and everything will be calm for quite awhile. “Time to change her diaper,” we’d all think. The unsuspecting victim would calmly slide a new diaper underneath her, undo the dirty diaper, and get ready to … Continue reading

The Great (Poop) Escape(s)

My son’s first poop was a joyous celebration! My wife and I cheered and gave each other high-fives. We were so excited to see proof that his insides were working properly. We were jumping for joy to have a concrete and visible reason to cover his bottom with that drawer full of diapers. We laughed with glee each time our little man filled his pants with a special surprise and got a satisfied look on his face. This feeling of joy, however, has changed. In the past two weeks my son has been having a problem with his diapers. When … Continue reading

Guide to Baby Poop

Are you wondering what it means when you find something strange in your baby’s diaper? Here is the scoop on all of that poop. Pay attention to your newborns first few poops. They will look black and tarry. These first bowl movements consist of a substance called meconium. As you baby takes in nutrition, the meconium will clear out of your baby’s system and be replaced by normal stools. This of course raises another question. What do those normal stools look like? If you are breast feeding, your baby’s stools will be a watery yellow, and they will have what … Continue reading

Punishing the Crimes and Misdemeanors of Poop Offenders

Earlier this month Aimee wrote an article entitled The Pick-Up Police. I loved it. Mostly because for a long while now I’ve been experiencing the same frustration in my neighborhood. (Other dog owners not picking up after their dogs.) Another thing I particularly liked in Aimee’s article was her proactive approach for finding ways to encourage people to pick up after their dogs. Some were cheeky suggestions, sure, but then again…she just might be on to something. The one I can’t get out of my mind is her skewer suggestion. “I’ve thought about buying a pack of kebab skewers and … Continue reading

A Quick Guide to Frugal Laundry Pre-treaters

If you read my earlier article, The Frugal Washing Machine, you’ll notice that it got a lot of comments from wonderful frugal folks with great ideas about laundry. One of the topics that stood out was the one about using pre-treatments for laundry stains. It was a really interesting discussion, and I thought I might explore different ways of saving money when pretreating laundry. The first choice, in my opinion (shared by so many of you) is that if you use a good laundry detergent, you won’t need to pretreat your clothing. My biggest vote for a laundry detergent that … Continue reading

Uses for Plastic Bags

Yes, I shouldn’t even be writing this blog as plastic bags are anti-green. But, sometimes I forget my reusable bags and end up with plastic bags from the store. You can return them to many stores for recycling, but there are also some ways you can been a bit green by reusing the plastic bags. One easy way to reuse the bags is to put your dirty clothes in them. No matter where we travel, we end up with plastic bags and always use them for this. You can also wrap your shoes in plastic bags to keep them from … Continue reading

Having a Home Office with Kids

I’m a work at home mom. As a freelance writer and content manager, as well as a mom to three children, each day is a matter of balance and time management. My children need me, my clients need me, my community needs me, and of course the house needs me (well, in the sense that it needs my attention so we don’t wind up being featured in an episode of hoarders). Just yesterday, for example, my husband was out later, leaving me alone with the kids. Of course that doesn’t mean that my work schedule can change. So, while meeting … Continue reading

Product Review: Baby Monitor

I love finding good deals on baby items. I subscribe to websites that feature deeply discounted baby items for a limited time, and can barely contain my excitement when a product I’ve been coveting for a long time appears at 50% off its regular selling price. What I love even more than finding a good deal on a baby item is when I get a baby item for free. I was recently contacted by an employee of The First Years baby brand, wondering if I’d be willing to test and review one of their latest models of baby monitors. He … Continue reading