Back to School Sales at Staples

Does it feel like the back to school sales started early this year? It isn’t even August yet. Even so, there are plenty of back to school sales going on. Staples is a really good place to shop for school supplies, especially if you get their card. Here is what to buy at Staples this week. Staples has a Back to School Savings Pass. They have been offering one each summer for quite a few years now. It provides you with excellent savings. The pass costs $10.00. It gives you 15% off all of the school supplies you purchase on … Continue reading

What’s Holding You Back?

Logan and I both went to the doctor today. We both have Influenza Type A, which basically means we both have this tiny microscopic germ that has taken over our bodies and left us feeling rather miserable. Not only are we both feeling a little miserable, we’ve also been banned from going back to school for the rest of the week. Logan’s not too concerned about this of course, but I know it will leave me trying to play catch-up in the weeks to come, which as a single mother is rather daunting in and of itself, but to be … Continue reading

Don’t Forget the College Spending Money

Once you get through paying for tuition, text books, room and board, supplies and activity fees, there is one more expense you have to count in–the monthly spending money that your college kids will need. Most college websites are very helpful with suggestions of how much money your student will need, with suggestions averaging $200-$300 a month, minimum, to cover expenses from laundry to shampoo to late night pizza runs. While these suggestions are helpful, the real amount is going to depend on your student, where he or she goes to school and what kind of lifestyle he or she … Continue reading

Going to School with Kids

I have been asked several times over the last year how I could possibly manage to continue going to school with a child all while parenting alone. “How do you have time to do homework?” “Who watches your son for you?” “How do you find time to study?” “How do you keep your grades up?” All questions that have continued to come up time and time again. For the record, it hasn’t been an easy task, but here are some things that may help you attempt the college journey as a single mother. First off, don’t forget to check out … Continue reading

Having Each Other’s Back

Today I want to talk about kind of a dumb thing I got into the habit of doing, but that I realized one day could be hurtful. Sometimes I have a tendency to make too much fun of Jon in front of others. I’ve talked to him about it and he doesn’t seem to mind, but nonetheless I want to work on it. The habit was born out of our shared college experience. The group of friends we were in playfully messed with each other all of the time, especially the boys. I kind of had to thicken my skin … Continue reading

Get the Back to School Savings Pass at Staples

It is August, and that means that a new school year is about to start. Parents are going to have to purchase a pile of school supplies that their children require. If you pay attention to the Back to School sales and deals, you can save some money while shopping. Here are a few that are going on right now. Staples has a Back To School Savings Pass. You pay $10.00 for the pass, and it gives you a discount on hundreds of school supplies from now until September 15, 2012. The pass can be used only on in-store purchases, … Continue reading

Does Your Child Need a New Backpack Each Year?

Well, we have pretty much gotten all of our back to school shopping done for this upcoming school year, with the exception of one spiral sketch book, which seems to be an endangered species in my part of Pennsylvania. My oldest is entering sixth grade, which in my school district is middle school (junior high). With this transition comes another one I wasn’t ready for–lots and lots of supplies. This list pretty much takes up an entire page, and even with careful shopping, it cost quite a bit. One of the big items we purchased was a new backpack. Unlike … Continue reading

I’m Always Coming Back

Mommy’s Christmas Break is coming to a close. Monday it’s back to school and back to daycare. My heart sinks every time I think about it. I’m usually really excited to get back to school, but this time the thought makes me want to break down and cry. I’ve gone to school from the time Logan was born. It’s all he’s ever known. But now that I am officially into my major I have a lot less flexibility with my schedule. This means that he is going to be spending a lot more time in daycare. The lady that does … Continue reading

Finishing College as a Single Parent

Getting an education is crucial to attaining independence as a single parent. Without it you can never make enough money to be completely financially stable. After a divorce the thought of going back to school can be daunting. Chances are you are working full time just trying to make enough to keep food on the table as it is. You may be afraid of the added expense of going to school. However, going to college doesn’t have to be expensive. There are lots of government grants and scholarships specifically designed to help single mothers go back to school. Going back … Continue reading

Back to School Anxiety & Emotions

Do a Google search on this topic and you’re likely to come across a ton of news stories, blogs, opinions, etc. I thought I better throw my hat into the ring, so my readers would not be left out. The person quoted the most on these various sites is Samuel Gladding, who is a professor at Wake Forest University. He offers 6 tips for helping with back to school anxiety and is summarized by Bradenton.com. The fact that these articles keep popping up on my alerts daily was funny to me, as I think I have more anxiety than my … Continue reading