Could Too Much Milk Cause Colic-Like Symptoms In Your Baby?-Part I

Although I am now breastfeeding my third child, I am just now looking into oversupply, and overactive letdown as reasons for why my baby is so fussy. I have always known that I had no problem producing enough milk for my babies. My first two kids were nice, chubby babies, and I have never been able to relate to women that don’t have enough. Although, I am fully aware that this is a real problem for many Moms. But, did you know that too much milk can also be a serious problem too? I didn’t, until recently, and honestly, it … Continue reading

Milk Thistle and Your Liver

Common, ordinary milk thistle — also known as blessed milk thistle, Marian thistle, Mary thistle, and variegated thistle — may be a health powerhouse when it comes to the liver and diabetes. The plant originated in Southern Europe and Asia, but is now found around the world — and is sometimes considered an invasive species. Milk thistle has reddish or purple flowers and shiny green leaves with white veins. The main compound of milk thistle seeds is silymarin. Did you know? Milk thistle is an “energy enhancing agent” in Rockstar Energy Drink. Silymarin has been used to treat varicose veins, … Continue reading

Breastfeeding Questions: Hind Milk and Fore Milk

Someone in the forums asked me to explain the idea of hind milk and fore milk. Most women don’t even need to worry about it. Your milk comes when it comes and is perfectly designed to meet the needs of your baby. Your baby instinctively knows how long to suck and when. When he’s thirsty, you’ll notice that he sucks lightly and doesn’t nurse as long. However, when your baby is really hungry, you’ll notice that his suck is much harder and he’ll tend to nurse much longer in this manner on one side or the other. This is because … Continue reading

Transitioning Baby from Milk to Solids

Transitioning your baby from milk to solids is an exciting and depressing time. While you are thrilled your baby is progressing normally, it is often hard to let go, allowing him or her to develop. In most cases, this type of transition takes time. At first, your baby is going to bulk at this new taste and texture in the mouth, preferring milk. Therefore, be patient and expect more food on the bib than in the mouth. The best time to go through the transition from milk to solids is sometime around six months of age although you should consult … Continue reading

What to Eat While You’re Breastfeeding

It actually takes more calories to feed another little human than to grow one in utero. Breastfeeding uses up around 500 calories a day (so yes, if you’re feeding two, that equals 1,000 calories a day!) So if you’re er. . .uh. . .mathematically inclined like me, nursing one infant a day equals a big scoop of Cold Stone Creamery Ice Cream, or a slice of pizza and a soda! It is true, you can eat pretty much whatever you’d like while you’re breastfeeding. Interestingly, what you eat has very little effect on the composition of breast milk–it still has … Continue reading

When you Have too Much Milk

Sometimes, women can have too much breast milk. Their bodies produce more than their baby demands and the result is an oversupply that can cause symptoms in both the mother and the baby. It is possible that you have this condition if you experience some of all of the following symptoms: *Breast fullness between feedings *An especially strong sensation of milk letdown *Multiple milk letdowns between feedings *Lots of leaking of breast milk between feedings *Mastitis and/or plugged ducts In addition to your symptoms, your baby may show some or all of these symptoms as well: *Gulps, chokes or sputters … Continue reading

Coupons for Hormel, Reser’s, Tide and More

Memorial Day comes with a three day weekend (for many people). This federal holiday often includes family get-togethers and backyard cookouts. Coupons.com realizes that a lot of people will do some extra grocery shopping in preparation for the holiday weekend. If you use all the coupons in this Memorial Day batch you will save a total of $11.05. Hormel has a coupon that will save you $1.00 when you buy 2 Hormel Bacon toppings. Green Giant has a coupon that will save you $0.50 when you buy 1 package of any flavor of Green Giant Veggie Snack Chips. This coupon … Continue reading

Chicken Enchilada Bake Recipe

Tonight I was shopping at our local grocery store when I had a sudden craving for an old recipe that I used to make with much frequency, but for some reason fell out of including it in our family menus. I’m not sure why, since it is a delicious and relatively easy to prepare recipe. The cost of it is very low, too, but since I haven’t made it since 2006 or so, I no longer have the exact calculations on price. You can bet, though, that it will definitely be part of our menu this week. As soon as … Continue reading

Do You Dare to Compare?

Have you seen this tooth-achingly sweet note a 10-year-old boy penned to his hard working mom and attached to an even sweeter homemade gift? The photo has gone crazy viral since the boy’s sibling innocently posted it on Reddit. The youngster’s touching note reads: “Dear Mom, This is for you, I understand how hard you work, and I know you love strawberry milk, so I made this for you. :)” Sniff. Sniff. Right? I mean, c’mon moms, admit it; that tear in your eye, the tingle in your gut, your melted heart-—pure jealously. Okay, maybe, not 100% pure, but pretty … Continue reading

First Fourth of July

It is rather exciting watching my daughter as she experience things for the first time. There always seems to be something new for her to experience and as her first year of life progresses, she is having a good time exploring and experiencing numerous things for the first time. This past week she experienced her first fourth of July. The day began later than normal because we were all exhausted from all the late nights that we had recently experienced. I made celebratory buttermilk pancakes with blueberries and maple syrup. While our daughter is very anxious to eat solids, she … Continue reading