Homeschooling Sick Days

On reason we keep children home when they are sick is so they do not spread their illness to others. In a homeschool environment that is not a concern. A child with the sniffles can still do math and English since there is no worries of spreading germs. Often homeschooling moms will not provide time off unless the child is very sick. That is not cruel in the least. An illness where one can still function means they should still function even if you change your routine a bit. In my home, unless a child is very sick or cannot … Continue reading

Homeschool Sick Days

We’re heading into that time of year when colds are rampant and the flu is a frequent guest. For publicly schooled children, this usually means missing a day of education, but in the homeschool household, you can still proceed with your lesson plans. Of course, if your child is very ill, you’ll just tuck them into bed and let them rest, but if their symptoms are mild, there are plenty of things you can do, not only to entertain them, but to teach them as well. 1. Do they feel up to reading? Find them some interesting books to read. … Continue reading

Homeschooling During Dark Days

Homeschooling is a joy for many. Homeschooling moms have the privilege of guiding their child’s education on a daily basis through real life experiences and handpicked curriculum. Your child gets a full view of life up close and personal with no distractions and without the benefit of rosy colored glasses. So when those real life experiences involve divorce, illness, death, financial woes, or the not so somber events such as a new addition in the family or minor injury, how will you homeschool? To each a dark season will come regardless of your educational choice for your children. Often homeschoolers … Continue reading

Homeschool Curriculum Glossary: (10 Days-Accel)

10 Days of Multiplication Mastery is a workbook that provides a 10-day lesson plan for learning the basic facts for Multiplication. A Basic History of the United States is a six-volume textbook set that presents history form a conservative southern flavor. A Beka is a Christian textbook producer with hundreds of educational materials for home schools and private schools. A Beka also offers complete educational programs for homeschoolers Using DVD’s and supplemental materials. A family can choose the accredited option, non-accredited option, or parent led option. They also offer textbook curriculum packages. A Child’s History of the World is a … Continue reading

Reasons I Am Glad We Homeschool: Bad Days

On this past Tuesday, I worked the election polls at a local Elementary School (for runoffs). My kids got to spend the day with family friends, and I got to do my civic duty. OK, I was paid a little, but if I were doing it for the money, I would have stayed in bed. I arrived at the school and found that we were to work in about 200 square feet in the media center. In those 200 square feet, we had three voting booths, a handicapped station, a private area for confidential work, and several processing tables. Can … Continue reading

Homeschooling Days: Recess

Please, please, please tell me that you regularly, daily encourage your kids to go outside and just play. If I have a pet peeve with the home schooling community this is it. I have met parent upon parent who seems to be convinced that physical education, is secondary to the “real academics.” Going outside and letting the kids just play, after all, may take up time from the curriculum. Almost as bad, are the parents who think that little league or soccer practice once a week is sufficient to meet the need of getting enough exercise and free play. If … Continue reading

Homeschooling Days: The Family Journal & Writing

Welcome to the second blog in our series Homeschooling Days. We’re talking about different activities in our days that we add to make home schooling more exciting, or rewarding for our kids. This is the place for our brilliant teaching strategies and I just want to remind everyone to feel free to add their insight to our forum. Today, we’ll talk about ways to inspire our creative writers. Ways to Kill the Desire to Write I find it hard to talk about ways to encourage budding writers without talking about what discourages them. One sure fire way to squash the … Continue reading

Homeschooling Days: Reading

In October, we will be looking at different parts of our schedule that make up our home schooling days. Whether you use the “unschooling” method or whether you are strictly classical, you can add tidbits here and there to make things more fun and augment your child’s education. Feel free to take and leave suggestions here on the comment board. If you have a reader, your story is probably similar to many other moms that I know. One day, they just started reading. You might have done some phonics instruction but reading is as much a developmental milestone as is … Continue reading

Things to Consider Before Homeschooling

Is homeschooling the best choice for your child, your family, and yourself? That is a question that parents must give serious thought to as they are making the decision about whether or not to start homeschooling a child. Here are some important things to consider before you make the transition from public school to homeschooling. Can you afford to homeschool? Parents who are displeased by the public school that their child has been assigned to might be thinking about homeschooling instead. After all, homeschooling is obviously cheaper than the tuition that a private school would charge. Keep in mind that … Continue reading

Free Homeschool Resources

Cut down on your homeschooling expenses by taking advantage of getting free homeschooling materials. Hurry, because some of these offers will only be available for a short time. Free Romping & Roaring Letters D, E, and F Printable Packs Letters are more fun to learn when you play great games. Download a free Romping & Roaring Letters D, E, and F printable packs. Free Write Through the Bible Cursive Copywork Bundle Printables  These materials usually cost almost $18, but you can get them free through July 26, 2013. The kit, Write Through the Bible Cursive Copywork Bundle,  includes three full years … Continue reading