The Value of Compliments

The other day we looked at the importance of complimenting your spouse. Why compliment your spouse? It lets them know they are valued and their opinions are valued. Yesterday Mick and I were talking about the greenhouse he plans to build. I asked where he was planning to build it. I knew he had his doubts about the proposed site and so I suggested two other places. The more we talked the more it became obvious to me there was was a better spot. ‘That was a really good idea of yours,’ Mick said. How did it make me feel? … Continue reading

Sharing Space in Your House

We often think of the home as being the woman’s domain. It’s generally the woman who chooses the furniture and carpet, selects the wall decor, and hangs the drapes. When someone comes to the home and admires the atmosphere, it’s the woman who receives the compliment. But is there equal space for the man to keep his things, as well? Or is the balance a little bit off? In some homes, the husband has taken over every closet, cupboard, the garage, and a spare room, leaving just one or two corners for the wife. This is off-kilter as well. It’s … Continue reading

Renovate Your Marriage

New year is often a time when people turn towards renovation or decluttering as Mary Ann and Tricia suggest. But have you thought about renovating and decluttering your marriage? As you think about renovations for you marriage it might raise some questions like, when should I do it? There’s no time like the present especially if things are feeling a bit stale in your marriage or if bad habits have crept into your marriage. Look for ways to spice it up and show your spouse how important they are to you. The thing is – the longer we put off … Continue reading

What Do You See?

What do you see when you look at your spouse? The way we see a person often determines the way we respond to them and treat them. If we think someone is judging us or looking down on us or finding fault with us, we are more likely to respond by becoming defensive. Putting on an act to cover our insecurities is another way people often respond in such a scenario. What you think and feel and see when you look at your spouse matters. Do you see someone you love and someone who is interesting? Do you, despite the … Continue reading

Learn from Dogs

Those of us who are married can learn a lot from dogs. Dog owners know how faithful loyal and loving these four footed friends can be. Their love and loyalty does not depend on what we do for them. They will love us regardless and not hesitate to show it. In the words of John Grogan from Marley and Me ‘A dog doesn’t care ifyou’re rich or poor, smart or dumb. Give him your heart and he’ll give you his. How many people can you say that about/? How many people make you feel special, extraordinary?’ Yet shouldn’t that be … Continue reading

Do You and Your Spouse Complement Each Other?

Do you complement each other? When we spent the day with another couple recently, Mick and I thought how well they complement each other. They are very different in a lot of ways yet, each one is the same in that they support and complement each other and encourage them in the jobs they are doing. Consequently their marriage works well because they work as a team. What one doesn’t have in the way of skills, the other one supplies. When one is struggling and feeling down their spouse is there to lift them up and love them and encourage … Continue reading

How to Keep Your Marriage on Track

Do you want to know how to keep your marriage on track? Recent blogs have looked at the ups and downs in marriage. While Mary Ann’s been focusing on the things that can disrupt and harm a marriage and how to deal with them, I’ve mostly focused on the positive side of trying to build a marriage up. Together they give a good picture of what is involved in keeping a marriage on track. My calendar the other day says ‘little kindnesses, little acts of considerateness (I would have said consideration, but you get the drift), little appreciations, little confidences…they … Continue reading

How to Get Your Marriage in Better Shape

You’ve heard the old adage ‘an apple a day keeps the doctor away,’ but how about,’a compliment a day keeps divorce away.’ Okay, maybe that’s a tad simplistic but the general principle, of making a habit each day of complimenting your spouse for something they have done or for some quality you love about them, is sound. E.g. I might say to Mick,‘I really appreciate the way you support me and come to events where I’m singing even though sometimes it’s boring.’ At the supermarket the other day a woman packing the bag jokingly said to me, ‘That’s for Muscles … Continue reading

Can You Talk Yourself out of Love?

I have heard of several cases where married women and men begin to stop finding one another attractive. They begin to be annoyed by little quirks of their spouse. In fact some begin to wonder why they got married in the first place. Often this period comes after the honeymoon stage is over and children have possibly entered the picture. Life becomes hectic and stressful. New responsibilities are being added to the relationship. The new and exciting feeling that you felt when you were first married has been overcome with annoyances and faults of each other and the world. Many … Continue reading

Is Your Spouse Your Competitor or Companion?

Not very far from here is a couple that I see every day. Every evening they run past the house as they are out for their evening jog, often they are racing each other. I see them at the swimming pool and I listen to them compare everything from who makes more in a given week to who makes a better Chicken Marsala. (Don’t ask me, I’ve never tried it). They argue, wrangle or negotiate over everything. She spends more time with the kids so he cuts back his work hours to spend at least as much time as she … Continue reading