Are you qualified to teach?

Homeschoolers are under scrutiny.  Outsiders feel it is their duty to make sure homeschooled children are learning the three “R’s”.  If you doubt that then take your child out during school hours or simply mention homeschooling and sit back and wait for the quizzing to begin.  If they don’t quiz your kids they may quiz you.  Many question if those without education degrees can teach.  The short answer is yes.  Yes, you can teach your children without a teaching degree.  Teaching degrees are not magic.  I respect teachers and the effort it takes to become degreed and dedicate your life … Continue reading

A Love Letter to My Baby

I looked at you today as you stood all by yourself smiling from ear to ear and got a glimpse of the little boy you are becoming. I wanted to scream, “No! Not yet!” But, instead, I smiled with you to show you how proud I was that you were standing all on your own. You fill my life with so much joy that it is hard to explain. Knowing that you are my last baby is hard on me sometimes, but more than anything, it helps me to savor each stage that you are in. Right now, you are … Continue reading

Are you more teacher than mom?

“She says you only do workbooks with her but never play.” Those words caused a mix of tangled emotions that fought in me. My pride was hurt.  I was angry my mother felt she had to share that with me.  A five year old says a lot of things and many come from a kaleidoscope perspective.  There is a reason young children do not make good witnesses.  I was sad my child had those words in her heart.  I was frustrated because I put every ounce of my being, of my identity, of my heart, into homeschooling. After defending myself and … Continue reading

Love Your Kids More Than You Hate Your Ex

My baby brother is leaving on an LDS mission to Paris, France tomorrow afternoon. This is a bittersweet time for everyone, as we won’t see him for the next two years, but no one will experience these feelings quite as deeply as his parents, well at least one of them. When Bryan opened his mission call five months ago his father refused to be there. Not because of Bryan, but because the event would take place at Bryan’s mother’s home where he has spent the majority of his childhood years growing up. Though I’m not sure Bryan would admit this, … Continue reading

Handling Your Child’s Questions About Your Divorce

It’s bound to happen; sooner or later your kids are going to start asking questions about your divorce. It’s only natural. Even if they were very young when the event took place, they are going to have questions about why their family is different than their friend’s. As a parent, this can be scary. Their questions likely don’t have easy answers and it can be hard to decide how to approach such a sensitive topic with them. Remember to keep your answers appropriate for your child’s age and maturity. When they are younger a simple answer such as, “Mommy and … Continue reading

Treating Your Pup’s Mosquito Bites

We have a mosquito infestation in our yard. It’s not nearly as bad as it was last year; our dry spring gave the pests less places to breed. Still, once the season’s started I can barely enjoy my yard, even on cool days, because sitting still out on the porch leads to multiple bites in minutes. I’m not the only one susceptible to mosquito bites; my dog gets them too. I think she got a bite sometime last week, because she’s been particularly itchy at one spot on her side. She chews it and scratches it all of the time, … Continue reading

Putting Your Feelings Aside

My little brother opened his LDS mission call tonight. For those of you unfamiliar with this custom, it is a huge milestone in the lives of these young men. They prepare from the time they are little boys for this moment. It takes a tremendous amount of hard work and dedication and is a momentous occasion in their lives. Sadly, my brother’s father chose not to attend this special event. He was too bitter about a divorce that happened nearly fifteen years ago to come to an event where his ex-wife, our mother, would be present. My brother puts on … Continue reading

Don’t Let it Get to You

It has been my experience that people don’t always have the nicest things to say about single parents. Despite the fact that over 50% of marriages fail in today’s world, society has kept its jaded view of those of us parenting on our own. People are often quick to judge and be be cruel in the things they say. While these things can be hurtful, it is important to let them roll off. You can’t let them get to you. You are the only one that knows the intimate details of your particular situation. No story is the same; no … Continue reading

Your Baby Wants You!

There is always a recurring theme in my blogging it seems. I am a Mom. And, I often feel inadequate. Today has been one of those days. I woke up super grouchy due to my baby waking me at 4:15 am, the toddler waking me at 5:45 am, and my “big girl” waking me up at 6:45 am. Needless to say, I was not happy with anyone. I managed to get my girl out the door to Kindergarten and gave her a big hug before she left and told her I loved her. I hope she remembers that instead of … Continue reading

Helping Your Child Through Divorce

We’ve all heard how damaging the effects of divorce can be on children, but are they really any worse off than children who come from the traditional two parent families? Not necessarily. Studies have found that it’s not so much the divorce that is affecting children, it is how the divorce is handled. If you are in constant turmoil with your ex, of course it is going to have an effect on your children. On the other hand, a married couple experiencing the same turmoil, is likely to pass on the same adverse effects to their children. Divorce is hard … Continue reading