Society and Math

I love math. My father was a very logical thinker and was very good at reasoning and mathematical calculations. I developed and inherited my skills from him. I have a Master’s degree in teaching mathematics and I taught Pre-Algebra for four years. Therefore, it is sometimes hard for me to understand our society’s negative attitude about math. When I tell people that I have a Master’s of Science degree in math, they often looked shocked. Not many teachers in elementary education hold this degree, especially kindergarten teachers. I usually hear comments like “really?” and “wow!” Most people naturally assume that … Continue reading

For the Love of Math

Recently, someone posed a question in the forums about how to instill a love of math in your child. I have to start out by saying that I’m not sure every kid will love math. I think some families have a certain affection for numbers while others don’t. In my own children what I hope they love is how to learn. On the other hand, I believe the poster was looking for specific resources and ideas that make learning math fun. Here are some of my favorites ideas that win the vote of approval from my own children: Math Manipulatives … Continue reading

Where Might “Once Upon A Time” Be Headed?

We’re big fans of ABC’s “Once Upon A Time” around here on families.com. I’ve discussed the show before, and Mary Ann’s reviewed one of the latest episodes. The Disney-inspired drama recently took a short break for the holidays, but it’s going to be back with new episodes starting this coming Sunday, January 8. I’m not planning to review each episode as it comes along. But now that we’re about halfway through the season I think it will be interesting to take a moment to consider where the show has been, and where it might be going. Emma, the daughter of … Continue reading

Teens and Self Esteem

After watching a story on the Today show about teens wanting plastic surgery, I could only think that this was a symptom of a bigger problem. Teens who linger on the imperfections in their body, are generally suffering from a case of low self esteem. Sure, there may be some things about their body, anyone’s body, that they would want to change, especially if mom and dad have already changed those same features. Still, for a teen to be willing to trade the pain of the knife for a perfect nose or less giggly middle, I have to wonder if … Continue reading

Baby Blog Month in Review: July 2008

Two of my three children are summer babies. That is, they were born in the summer and had their first months surrounded by sunshine streaming in the windows, the sound of birds chirping, and days spent wearing nothing but a diaper and a “onsie.” I made sure that they had Fourth of July outfits ready, even though one of them arrived a week after the holiday. I guess he just wasn’t interested in the parade. Do you have a summer baby, too? We had a lot of new information to share this past month, such as recall notices and new … Continue reading

Baby Blog Week in Review: July 21st Through July 27th

What types of activities do you like to do with your baby? Is it playing on the floor, reading or taking walks? How about cooking? Check out this past week’s articles for new activities as well as some important baby safety news and recalls. July 21st Babies Are Most Likely to Get Bitten By a Dog According to a 2006 study published by the Journal of Pediatrics, children less than one year of age were the most likely group to be bitten by a dog. What is even more disturbing, is that children less than nine years old are more … Continue reading

Cooking with Your Toddler

The next meal you make, consider asking your toddler to help. Toddlers can be so much fun to cook with, and the educational value of the activity to high. In a short cooking session, you can introduce your child to language arts, math, science and life skills. And toddlers just love to help out. They get a great sense of accomplishment from doing things on their own, especially when they are “grown up” activities. As I mentioned earlier in a previous post, I love cooking with my toddler, especially in the early morning. I’ll share some of the things I … Continue reading

Homeschool Glossary (words homeschoolers should know) – K-L-M

Kinesthetic learner -A kinesthetic learner learns by doing, and while doing. A kinesthetic learner is in constant motion and can be labeled ADHD because it may look like they are not paying attention during instruction. Learning Methods (learning styles) – Everyone learns in a different way. Learning methods focus on the different ways people process information. My learning the way your child learns, you will be able to teach them in the most efficient and affective way for them. A child’s temperament and weaknesses are also evaluated when determining learning methods or styles. To learn more about learning methods, you … Continue reading

Oh, the Places We’ll Go – Field Trips!

I used to love taking field trips when I taught elementary school. Yes, getting the whole class loaded and unloaded on a subway or bus is an exercise in logistical patience and planning. Going to the museum, park, historical center, etc can be nerve-wrackingly wonderful – vital to extending what is learned in the classroom. I continued the field trip excursions when I was a child care provider. Very young children can benefit from planned excursions, if the proper planning is done and care is taken to ensure everyone’s safety and enjoyment. A break in the routine, a chance to … Continue reading