What I Believe-Part 1, God and Jesus Christ

I’ve thought a lot about how to write this series of articles. I guess the idea came to me when I was writing another article, A Mormon for President? and debated about whether or not to post it on facebook. Many of my friends on facebook are friends from high school and other times in my life. I often share my blogs there that I have written. I wonder how many of those friends that aren’t Mormon wonder about what I truly believe. Maybe they were afraid to ask. Maybe they just assumed what had already been told to them … Continue reading

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints View of Family

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has its own view of what a family is. This is described in a proclamation to the world that was issued by the First Presidency and the Council of the Twelve Apostles in 1995. Here is what it said: We, THE FIRST PRESIDENCY of the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, solemnly proclaim that marriage between a man and a woman is ordained of God and that the family is central to the Creator’s plan for the eternal destiny of His children. IN THE PREMORTAL REALM, spirit … Continue reading

Book Review: 1001 Bible Questions Kids Ask (and God Answers)

Book: 1001 Bible Questions Kids Ask (and God Answers) Publisher: ZonderKidz Price: $6.99 Book Summary: The Bible is God’s Word to his people, so it has some important things to say! But let’s be honest … it can also be sort of puzzling.Now you can get relief for your confused cranium. Here’s how: Pick up this book, based on the NIV translation.Look up your questions.Learn about heaven, earth, angels, sin, creation, and more.Understand what the creator of the universe—your creator—is saying to you! Example Questions: Why did David and his men mourn the death of Saul, their enemy? What will … Continue reading

Bill Maher, Tim Tebow, and Jesus

I don’t watch football, but I have more or less been forced to know who Tim Tebow is because everyone is talking about him. Plus, you can’t really surf the Internet without seeing someone tebowing. Tebowing is the act of dropping to one knee and praying thusly named such after Tim Tebow. As the starting quarterback for the Denver Broncos, Tebow performs this gesture to thank God for his success during games. And tebowing has taken off like crazy, with videos and photos of people tebowing popping up all over the Internet. But, this week, Bill Maher came under fire … Continue reading

Discipling Young Hearts: Can you be ambitious and Godly?

As sweat beaded on her forehead she stood in perfect form to serve the ball over the net. People in the stands cheered her on. Teammates were counting on her to make the game point. If she could score she was would be the hero. The thought drove her as she tossed the volleyball up in the air with her left hand and prepared to strike with her opposite hand. Winning was in her grasp and she would be awarded MVP this year. There is nothing wrong with desiring to win MVP of your sports team or working diligently to … Continue reading

The Genealogy of Jesus

Christmas is a very important holiday, both from a religious and secular perspective. This is the time of year that stores have their biggest sales, and consumers make the most purchases. If you are a Christian, then without a doubt, Jesus is the reason for the season. It seemed appropriate, in the days before Christmas, to take a look at the genealogy of Jesus. Christians believe that Jesus is the son of God. The story of the Nativity describes the circumstances surrounding when Jesus was born. The primary resource for information about Jesus, and his family tree, comes primarily from … Continue reading

Genealogy and the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

When I was looking a various genealogy resources online a few weeks ago, I came across a web site that is maintained by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I later found out that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints maintains the largest genealogical research library in the world. Today, I decided to look into why genealogical research is so important to members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I have cousins that belong to the Church, and I am interested in learning about how our family history is important to … Continue reading

Pray and Wait for God’s Answer

When you pray do you expect your prayer to be answered? Are you waiting on God and listening for His answer? Let me share one experience of how God answered my prayer. Recently I was asked to do a talk in front of a large number of women in a couple of months. Now, I’m happy to stand up and sing in front of a crowd any time but speaking is not always such an easy task or comfortable area. But it wasn’t about how I felt about it but about what God wanted me to do. No matter how … Continue reading

What Makes a Person One God Can Use?

Do you want to be a person God can use? What qualifications would you need to have to be someone God can use? I’m going to suggest there are five qualities you need. 1. Willingness Willingness to be used by God in the way He chooses. Sometimes it may dovetail in with what you think your gifts may be. But that may not always be the case. Sometimes he may call you to step out of your comfort zone into area you don’t feel equipped for, so you absolutely have to depend on Him for everything you need. 2. Teachability … Continue reading

God’s Call

Jesus tells a parable of the landowner who went out early in the morning to find laborers for his vineyard, Matthew 20:1. The landowner found some men waiting to be hired, agreed on a wage and sent them off to work in his field. The landowner saw there were not enough workers, so the same thing happened when he went back at the third hour, except this time he told the workers ‘whatever is right I will give you,’ verse 4. The workers were happy to work under these conditions. This was repeated this at the sixth and ninth hour … Continue reading