Cleaning The Kitchen Sink

The kitchen sink is a not only the subject of a catchall expression, but also a catchall place. Dishes, produce, cats and even children who like odd places to play have at one time or another left their individual mark or paw-print on the kitchen sink. The question at hand becomes: How can you remove these things? Well, some help is below, if you dare to know. Stainless Steel Sinks Baking soda (another catchall commodity) will come to the rescue every time when you need to give your stainless steel sink a really good clean. Sprinkle a little on a … Continue reading

Cleaning Kitchen Counters

The kitchen is one room in your home that always needs attention. With the daily preparation of food and cooking, the floors and counters take as much of a beating as the pots and pans. Just think how they must feel when you ignore them! Here are some tips on how to placate them and their soiled feelings before it’s too late. Know Your Cleanser Not all cleansers are good for all kitchen counters. Check the manufacturer’s recommendations before using any cleanser on your kitchen counters. Surfaces can react differently to certain cleaning solutions given the wide diversity of materials … Continue reading

A Cleaner Kitchen Is Up To…Who?

My kitchen never quite passes inspection except maybe after Thanksgiving dinner when everyone is too full of turkey and libation to waddle over and notice the clutter and the dirt. For some strange gravitational reason, guests often find their way to the kitchen and enter even if a sign tells them not to dare under pain of monsters unknown. Since we can’t keep them out, the question remains: How can we transform our kitchens into an experience that isn’t reminiscent of scenes from horror movies? Surely there must be something we can do! Consider the following options: 1. Clear the … Continue reading

Kitchen Safety: Where Is It?

Although a forest fire may have its origins nowhere near your kitchen, only you can prevent a fire from starting in your very own kitchen. (You can’t blame Smoky The Bear for this!) While this may seem like an obvious statement, many people are unaware that their kitchens are dangerous places and in many instances, a fire waiting to happen. Prevent kitchen fires by keeping curtains, dish towels and long flowing sleeves away from the cook top. I myself, while awaiting company and preparing some jambalaya, was a bit too preoccupied and didn’t notice a pot-holder that was too close … Continue reading

Knives For The Kitchen: How Sharp!

If you are in the market for knives for your kitchen, one important rule of thumb is to go for quality and not quantity. A really efficient kitchen only needs a few: a four-inch parer, an eight-inch chef’s knife (also known as a French or cook’s knife) and a long serrated-edged bread slicer. Always keep them sharp and they will never let you down. It is also much safer, as with a duller knife one must exert greater pressure in order to use it. This in turn increases the possibility of julienned fingers and possibly toes, if your aim is … Continue reading

Escape to Playa Los Cerritos

While the rest of the country heads north to view the spectacular fall colors, you could escape to the sun, sand and silence by visiting Playa Los Cerritos in Baja, Mexico. The breathtakingly beautiful stretch of sand is located less than an hour’s drive north of Cabo San Lucas. The area is accessible by flying into Cabo San Lucas or La Paz, and then renting a car and driving on the new four-lane Hwy 19 towards Todos Santos. The Cerritos exit is at kilometer marker 65. Along the way you will be treated to stunning view of the Pacific Ocean, … Continue reading

Toy Invasion

Is there a room in your house that doesn’t have a single toy in it? Yesterday I realized that the only place in our home that has not been infiltrated by my preschooler’s toys is the laundry room. And that room only qualifies as the “winner” if I don’t count the tiny pile of plastic animals I extracted from my daughter’s pockets the other day. The jungle creatures have temporarily set up residence on top of the dryer. The rest of our abode looks like the inside of a daycare facility. There are piles of plastic dinosaurs in the hallway, … Continue reading

More Closet Shelving Thoughts

There are many decisions to make once you decide to design shelving for your closet, and you have to act quickly before the clutter takes over the room and your mind. Think things through before you start and you will have less trouble down the cluttered road to organization. Read on, if you dare. Wire Rack and Shelving Units There are two basic organizational structures that work well with closets: wire rack shelving and shelving units. In the former, a system of prefabricated hangers and brackets hold lightweight wire shelving coated with rubber. They are similar in design and available … Continue reading

Closet Shelving: It’s Time!

Can you find what you are looking for whenever you open the door to your dreaded closets? If your house is anything like mine, even the skeletons in there are cluttered, and it’s time to wake up, smell the coffee and be counted (or something like that). Read on for some tips, if you dare. Designing Your Closet Shelving This step should be done before you go out and buy supplies and will save you time and money if you do so. Like all journeys, closet shelving begins with a single step and in this case, it involves making a … Continue reading

Closet and Wardrobe Care

It is said that clothes make the man and we can only assume that means the woman as well. But what do we really do for them? Their care is very important for it insures their longevity and possibly even our own. (There’s a price one pays for nudity, I hear.) In any case, here are some tips to keep those duds of yours sparkling, fresh and as cool as the day you bought them. Read on, if you dare. Fresh Fragrance Hang some lavender in your closet. Wrap some sprigs in a piece of muslin and tie it with … Continue reading