FHE with Small Children-Showing Support

This past week, we had a good and simple family home evening lesson. This time, we used the Friend magazine for our story. I used this one. The beauty of this little story is that it fit my kids perfectly because it was about an older sister and a younger brother. So, while I was reading it to them, I substituted my kids names for the kids in the story. They always love it when I do that, and I have found that it helps them pay more attention too! The story was all about an older sister who was … Continue reading

Need a Great Gift Idea? Family Photos are Always a Hit

It is getting towards the end of holiday shopping season, and despite your best efforts, you can not seem to find any good gift ideas for some of the people on your list. Before you give up, why not think about whether there are some special family photographs that each of those people would like to receive as gifts this year. Perhaps one of your relatives just had a baby. Chances are that he or she has been very busy taking care of the new bundle of joy and may not have had a chance to print out any of … Continue reading

Showing Appreciation to Your Spouse

Sometimes life can get in the way of appreciating your spouse. You go through each day doing basically the same thing. It isn’t until something different happens, that we sometimes realize how blessed we are to be married. That came to me this past weekend when I went away for three days to a writer’s conference in North Carolina. I have never been out of state, away from my husband. It was a little uncomfortable to be on my own figuring out flights and what gate I needed to be at. I have always relied on my husband for this. … Continue reading

Inexpensive Ways to Show Love on Valentine’s Day

Valentine’s Day is fast approaching and you want something special that says, ‘I love you.’ That something doesn’t have to be an expensive gift. Often it’s the little specially created things that show our love more than the big gestures. It’s not too late to come up with an inexpensive way of showing your love this Valentine’s Day. Remember that old poem by Elizabeth Barrett Browning, How Do I love Thee, Let Me Count the Ways? Write something similar for your spouse, letting them know how much you love them. If composing a poem seems way too hard or beyond … Continue reading

More Ways for Relieving Stress

Following on from yesterday’s post, here are more ways to relieve stress. Obviously a lot will depend on your own personality. For example some people might suggest massage as the ultimate in relaxation and relieving stress. To me, there is nothing relaxing about having another person massaging me, unless that person is Mick of course, or sometimes when our daughter was living at home, she gave me a massage, particularly when my neck and shoulder were really bad. But as for going to a masseur, it would never happen in my lifetime but I know others who love it. So … Continue reading

Showing Affection

Showing affection- some people are good at it. It comes as naturally as breathing to them. Others are not so good at it and need to learn how to do it. In marriage it is important. Those little signs of affection can really make a difference to how your spouse feels. In a recent forum one of our members said how she misses not getting the little signs of affection. Her husband gives them to someone else but not to her. That’s a sad state of affairs, when he is buying flowers and showing admiration for someone else and not … Continue reading

Ways of Saying ‘I’m Sorry.’

Different people have different ways of saying, ’I’m sorry.’ Some people don’t seem to ever be able to manage to say the words. They might choose instead to make their apology by bringing flowers. Mick is not much of a flower person, perhaps because we’ve seen too many movies where the guy brings flowers not because he’s sorry after an argument but because he’s feeling guilty because he’s having an affair. So for us, flowers tend to be more equated with guilt and other motives. Others might bring some other gift that is a peace offering. Others will simply say … Continue reading

Check in on Love

I can’t tell you the number of times that one spouse is surprised when the other spouse declares that he or she wants a divorce or is just unsatisfied in the marriage. Checking in with each other on a regular basis is one way to keep the communication open, correct any issues before they get larger, and let your spouse know how much you care. The Love Tank Every person needs to feel loved. From the time that you are a little baby, you have an instinctive need to be close to someone and to feel loved and cared for. … Continue reading

What Would You Do For Love of Your Spouse?

What would you do for love? Sometimes it might be crazy thing. Or it might be giving up of your time to support your spouse and do something that is important or interesting to them. Yesterday we were at an Australia Day ceremony where a number of immigrants had decided to become Australian citizens. It was lovely to see their families supporting them. Just as important to me was that Mick went with me. Our choir was singing as we usually do at the Australia Day ceremony. We were supposed to sing at 12 but had to be there earlier … Continue reading

Two Love Stories

Last Friday Mick took me to the movies. We saw ‘Nights in Rodanthe.’ I’m a big fan of Nicholas Sparks and read the book some time back, so as soon as I saw the movie on I wanted to go. Mick had been through two previous films from books by Nicholas Sparks. ‘The Notebook’ was the first which he thought was a beautiful though sad story and well acted. If you haven’t seen it, it is the story of a couple’s over and how when she has Alzheimer’s he keeps reminding her of their love their story. Though he enjojed … Continue reading