Does a CNA, LPN, RN, or Other Medical Professional Also Have to go to MT School?

This blog is part of a series on transcription. If you haven’t read the other blogs in this series, make sure to check out the summary page for a listing of all transcription blogs. The answer? Yes, they do. Although the prior experience will be a huge boost and will help the medical professional get through the first part of a course much quicker (terminology and learning how medical words are put together is usually the beginning of an MT course) they will still have a lot to learn. Spelling, for example. A nurse may say, “vesicourterine fold” but not … Continue reading

Thoughts to Ponder When Returning to College

I love to look over the forum threads in all of the various categories. Often these threads can inspire me to write. A recent thread that I noticed was about a very important educational and career decision. The decision was to either take a less stressful and easier road of LPN or a more difficult and more stressful road to RN. While these decisions can only be made by the individual and by the heart, it is important to keep a reality check when returning to school. Many women are now returning to school after having children. A lot of … Continue reading

Tips for Coping After Losing Your Spouse

Losing a loved one can be very traumatic, especially when the person who has passed away was your spouse. Grief is something that you cannot rush or outsource, and it will take as long as it needs to. Here are some tips for coping after losing your spouse. Five Stages of Grief People who have lost a spouse are going to be feeling a flood of emotions. You might find some comfort in knowing that what you are experiencing is something that all humans go through. Let yourself feel whatever emotion it is you are feeling, and realize that this … Continue reading

Strange Special Offers from Fast Food Places

Every so often, I try and clear out my inbox so I can share all the deals with you. This time around, I’ve found some rather strange special offers that are taking place at fast food restaurants. Target has an odd thing to check out as well. I’m not sure if any of these special offers will end up saving you money. That being said, they are interesting to take a look at anyway. Panda Express wants you to vote for your favorite kind of rice. Does your family prefer the Classic Fried Rice or the Brown Fried Rice? Cast … Continue reading

Birthday Math

Math lessons are fun for little ones when you use fun and different math manipulatives. I found inspiration when I was at a party store recently. I decided to do a unit study on birthdays and use candles as a math manipulative. Supplies: Purchase the number candles 0-9. You may want to get an extra zero to make 100. Purchase a package of regular birthday candles in different colors but the same amount for each adding up to 100. Cupcake liners Styrofoam to make a birthday “cake”. Decorate as you see fit. Lessons: Have your child put the number candles … Continue reading

Special Needs Podcast Roundup – Week of July 19, 2011

I found so many podcasts that discuss topics relevant to parents of special needs children this week, that I am not sure if they will all fit into this week’s Special Needs Podcast Roundup! There are episodes about ADHD, allergies, and more. Podcasts about ADHD Our Special Families released an episode on July 14, 2011. It is called: “Chat with Pam Esser of Attention Deficit Disorders Association”. Pam Esser discusses what the ADDA-SR is, and what it can offer parents of kids who have ADHD. The Edge Foundation Podcast has an episode called: “ADHD and Legal Advocacy”. It was released … Continue reading

A Day in the Life of a Nurse: Benefits in the Nursing Profession

Nurses are given a wondrous variety of opportunities for advancement. An LPN, or Licensed Practical Nurse can further her career and become a RN, or Registered Nurse. An RN can likewise do the same and move up in her education by obtaining a higher degree. From there a nurse can advance even further on up the ladder becoming a supervisor or director. In addition to these more opportunities are available depending upon where you are employed. The benefits for a nursing position will vary according to where you are employed locally and can even fluctuate throughout the United States. However, … Continue reading

A Day In The Life Of A Nurse: What Does A Nurse Do?

There are two kinds of nurses, a registered nurse or an RN and a licensed practical or vocational nurse, also known as an LPN or LVN. They are important figures on the medical team. They are the people that are responsible for carrying out the doctor’s orders and giving tender, loving care to the ill patient. As well as carrying out the doctor’s orders, they also administer medication, observe any changes in the patient and speak to family members for the doctor at times. A registered nurse or an RN is ranks higher of the two nurses as they have … Continue reading

Families.com Readers are an Educated Group!!

In many cases I would have to say that the general public feels that stay-at-moms-and housewives are either not trained in a particular skill or lack a higher education. I am not lucky enough to get to stay home with my children but I know that it is definitely not a job for an undereducated or lazy woman! However, I know several women that do stay home. Some have children and some do not. Either way, they choose not to have a formal outside of the home job. Many of these women hold a college degree. While looking through the … Continue reading

Week in Review for April 21 – 27

Hello, and welcome to the Week in Review for April 21 – 27. This is my way of catching you up on any blogs you may have missed in the past week! This week, we had a lot of fun talking about transcription, and then medical transcription in particular. If you have any feedback or comments, feel free to either leave a comment below or get in touch with me at Hava L {at} Families dot com! Thanks for reading! Saturday, April 21 Are Medical Transcriptionists Going the Way of Dinosaurs? talks about the idea that most people seem to … Continue reading