Sharon Stone Apologizes for“Karma” Comment

Is it something in the water? This week, more so than usual, there seems to be an overabundance of celebrities who are opening practicing the old “mouth and inserting foot” technique. After Hulk Hogan and family spoke ill of the young man gravely injured in a car wreck in which their son was driving, now Sharon Stone has said maybe the Chinese are just getting what was coming to them. What? Did Sharon Stone actually insinuate that the horrendous earthquake China just had and all the suffering the people are going through was a result of “bad karma” for its … Continue reading

Health Insurance Laws that Help Women

There have been many laws and regulations passed over the years that improve health insurance for consumers. Many of these changes are general, and do not affect the type of health care services and treatments that would only be needed by women. Two states, however, have passed laws that actually will improve health insurance for women. Last month, Vermont was considering passing a bill that would require health insurance companies to cover the services of midwives. This week, that bill has been made into law. It was signed by Governor Peter Shumlin, and requires all insurers to pay mid-wives who … Continue reading

Post Christmas Quiet

‘Twas the morning after Christmas and all through the house, not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse (we have traps set in the garage). Sigh. This is the morning after Christmas, and I am enjoying some great quiet time with just me, the tree and all of you. If you celebrate the season, did you have a good Christmas? For us, it all started with Christmas eve. The excited kids finally went to bed, after we heard the jingle bells that herald the forthcoming visit from the big guy in red. And as those children were nestled all … Continue reading

How I Became Susie’s Mom

Susie was my best friend in school. We were very close. I spent a lot of time at her house and knew her mom and dad well. They were great parents to her, good role models for me, and I especially enjoyed her mother’s company. Mrs. Wilson was a petite woman, who put on a few pounds over the years, making her appear short and plump. She was rather frumpy in appearance and most certainly reached a point in her life where she dressed only for comfort. Susie and I were fashionable; in tune with the styles of the day … Continue reading