Turn That Frown Upside Down And Look Younger Instantly

I’m a people watcher. I guess it comes with the territory of being a single mother and an author. Many times I’ll get ideas for characters just by sitting and observing people while at my local coffee shop, doctor’s office, or wherever I happen to be that day. Something I’ve noticed is that people who smile more tend to look younger. We use approximately 17 facial muscles to smile yet 43 to wear a frown. Is it no wonder that people who constantly wear a grim look on their faces tend to age years before happier people? I’ve heard some … Continue reading

The Upside-Down Christmas Tree

Upside-down Christmas trees are a hot thing this year. Learn all about them right here, including where they came from and where you can get one today. Last Friday, Black Friday to be exact, our family enjoyed some time out at a local botanical garden to see Christmas shows and holiday lights. We had a great time, and decided to come in from the cold for a bit to enjoy a nice meal in the gourmet cafeteria. As we were finishing up our dinners, and the kids were enjoying some gingerbread, we started talking about one of the Christmas trees … Continue reading

Are you Upside Down on Your Car Loan?

Are you upside down on your car loan? When you are upside down on a car loan, it means that you owe more on the loan then you can sell the car for. This happens when you trade in a car for a newer one and the dealership roles your old loan into your new one. It can make it very difficult to get ahead when you make this move. If something were to happen to your car, your insurance would not completely pay off your loan, and so you would need to continue to pay on your old car … Continue reading

The Upside Down Show

Developed by Sesame Workshop, the organization that created educational programming like “Sesame Street” and “Pinky Dinky Doo,” a new show is coming to NOGGIN called “The Upside Down Show.” It stars David Collins and Shane Dundas as two brothers named — you guessed it — David and Shane who live together in their own apartment. Otherwise known as Australian comedic duo The Umbilical Brothers, David and Shane now bring their comedy and creativity to children. The entire premise of the show is that David and Shane like to go where they have never been before, and apparently, they’ve never been … Continue reading

Pineapple Upside Down Cake

Pineapple Upside Down Cake A dessert cult classic INGREDIENTS: 1/2 cup butter 1 cup packed brown sugar 1 can sliced pineapples 6 count maraschino cherries, cut in half lengthwise 1 box pineapple cake mix 1 box vanilla instant pudding mix 1 cup pineapple juice, from canned pineapple with a bit of water added 1/2 cup canola oil 4 large eggs DIRECTIONS: 1. Preheat oven to 325. Melt butter in a 9×13 pan in oven. Sprinkle brown sugar evenly over butter in pan. 2. Drain canned pineapple into a measuring cup. Place pineapple slices evenly in pan, cutting the last two … Continue reading

Smacked Upside the Head

Have you ever had something happen to you that was so … mindblowing, it rocked your whole world? I bet you have – no one is immune. Mine came this summer, and the aftershock hit me just the other day. We’ve been having a lot of health problems, and this last summer we found a holistic doctor who understands just what’s going on with us. (This is awesome – we’ve been looking for years with no luck.) As we’ve undergone treatment, he has discovered that my children’s ability to process information in their brains is diminished, due to a whole … Continue reading

Smacked Upside the Head

Have you ever had something happen to you that was so … mindblowing, it rocked your whole world? I bet you have – no one is immune. Mine came this summer, and the aftershock hit me just the other day. We’ve been having a lot of health problems, and this last summer we found a holistic doctor who understands just what’s going on with us. (This is awesome – we’ve been looking for years with no luck.) As we’ve undergone treatment, he has discovered that my children’s ability to process information in their brains is diminished, due to a whole … Continue reading

Direct Sales – The Upside of the Ground Floor

Bill O’Reilly would be proud of me today because I am going to take a “fair and balanced” approach to one of my previous posts, “The Downside of the Ground Floor”. I was a Founding Leader for a popular direct sales company (I actually joined before the company officially launched). I also became a leader with another company that was four years old (and widely popular) when I joined. I certainly have experienced the pros and cons of being in both positions, I argued in my “downside” post that it is often more difficult to be a charter consultant for … Continue reading

Recovery from a Breakdown (8)

In our continuing series in recovering from breakdown, we will look at the power of counting your blessings. When your world has been turned upside down by mental illness, it is easy to lose sight of what is positive about your life. And no matter how sick you are, or how far away recovery seems, there are still positive things in your life. These are the things that we must hold onto during our darkest hours. “Well!” you might say. “I have very little to be happy about. I am so sick, I can barely function!” That may well be … Continue reading

Castle Birthday Party Idea Part 2

Host a castle birthday party for your little knight or princess, all for less than $100! I will share how we are doing it. If you missed part 1, you can find it here. So, the kid have just defeated the knight who escapes. They then climb up the castle (swing set) to meet the princess, who will be played by the birthday boy’s sister. She tells them that the evil knight has hidden a map in one of the abandoned village huts, but those on the quest must be careful. There is a grouchy old hermit who still lives … Continue reading