Mission: Possible

Last week, we took my brother and sister-in-law out for a night on the town. It was our Christmas gift to them – dinner, ice cream, live music and whatever else came up while we were downtown. Over an amazing meal, they relayed a story of a game that they play with their kids, ages 6 and 8, which was sparked by a recent viewing of the new movie Night at the Museum. I was fascinated by their story. I thought it was a wonderful and unique game, and I promptly obtained the green light to pass this creative idea … Continue reading

If The Shoe Fits

I would venture to guess that most Americans have donned a pair of Nike shoes at some point in their lives. I completed three marathons wearing Nike running shoes. The particular shoe I wear addresses my needs as a severe over-pronator. But, as I’m sure you are well aware Nike offers dozens of different styles of athletic shoes, and now their latest creation is making headlines. For the first time in the company’s history it has created a shoe specifically for American Indians. Designers say they did so in an effort to promote physical fitness in the population that is … Continue reading

Laurence Fishburne: A Man of Great Talent

Laurence Fishburne was born on July 30, 1961, in Augusta, Georgia. The acting bug bit him when he was only ten years of age, and his professional start came in 1973 when, at the age of twelve, he got his first role in the ABC soap opera, “One Life To Live”. His film debut was in 1975 with his role in “Cornbread, Earl and Me”. He attended New York’s High School of the Performing Arts and four years later, he appeared in Frances Ford Coppola’s “Apocalypse Now” as “Clean”, one of the PT-boat crew opposite Martin Sheen. He said the … Continue reading

Hollywood’s Newest Additions

It’s another boy for the former Mrs. Lyle Lovett. Julia Roberts welcomed her third child, a boy named Henry Daniel Moder, today in Los Angeles. According to news reports, the youngest Moder weighed in at 8.5 pounds. Little Henry joins his 2-year-old twin siblings Hazel and Phinnaeus. His famous mother should get in quite a workout juggling her brood… then again she does have husband 38-year-old cinematographer Danny Moder to help. The couple was married in July 2002 at Roberts’ home in Taos, New Mexico. No word on when we will see Roberts strolling with her new addition, but she’ll … Continue reading

Tom Cruise’s New Job

I’m sure Katie Holmes is breathing a sigh of relief (wink, wink). Her fiancé, Tom Cruise, should be bringing home even more bacon now that he and producing partner Paula Wagner have been put in charge of United Artists, a film studio that was formed by Hollywood legends including Charlie Chaplin and Mary Pickford. According to news reports, Wagner will serve as chief executive of the company, which is owned by Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Inc., while Cruise will appear in United Artists’ films and also be allowed to star in films from rival studios. Today’s announcement follows Cruise and Wagner’s much publicized … Continue reading

Oh No They Didn’t!

“South Park” creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone have always played with fire. It is often as if they do not even know the meaning of the phrase “bad taste.” Of course, for perhaps this very reason, they have garnered a loyal following. In the past, “South Park” has taken shots at George Clooney for mocking his Oscar acceptance speech for its political overtones and the Catholic Church when they showed an episode of the Virgin Mary was bleeding. One of their biggest controversies to date was with Scientology and some of its celebrity followers. Tom Cruise, John Travolta, and … Continue reading

Tom Cruise Eats Crow

Hurry—look outside. Do you see any flying pigs? I wouldn’t be surprised if you did. Why? Well, because apparently, Tom Cruise has apologized to Brooke Shields for publicly criticizing her use of anti-depressants after the birth of her first daughter—something that didn’t seem likely to happen until pigs took flight. You’ll recall that the two had a public “war of words” last year after the “Mission: Impossible III” star, told Matt Lauer during an appearance on NBC’s “Today” show that “depression can be treated with exercise and vitamins rather than drugs.” (That was the same interview, which he warned Lauer … Continue reading

Tom and Katie – The Baby Naming Controversy

I am a bit tired of hearing about Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes. It is not that I do not like them – au contraire. I have always liked Katie (check her out in Pieces of April – a great movie) and I used to be a big Tom Cruise fan. Notice I said, “used to.” It is very hard to get on the Tom Bandwagon now and I do not think I am the only one that feels that way. It seems everywhere we turn now days; there is some type of scandal or controversy concerning Tom and/or Katie. … Continue reading

Scientology vs. South Park

Both Scientology and South Park have seen their share of controversy. But, recently, they went head to head against each other. As the voice of Chef, Isaac Hayes has been with South Park almost 10 years. But he suddenly quit in March, 2006, stating that South Park displayed “intolerance and bigotry towards religious beliefs of others.” This was no doubt brought about by November 2005’s episode called “Trapped in the Closet,” in which Scientologists Tom Cruise and John Travolta were portrayed as gay and character Stan claimed to be the reincarnation of founder L. Ron Hubbard. “Trapped in the Closet” … Continue reading