Excuse Me, Are These Melons Ripe? Grocery Shopping with my Husband

Flirting with your husband in the produce department while grocery shopping may not seem like your idea of a date, but when you are saving toward a healthy emergency fund, a discussion about fruit may be some of the sweetest words you’ll hear. My husband and I had gotten in the habit of a monthly lunch date, on a Tuesday or Wednesday, when all three children are in school. We only have about a two-hour window of time alone, but this was usually sufficient to have a nice lunch and catch up without being interrupted by little people needing this … Continue reading

My Husband is on Vacation

My husband recently reminded me he was on vacation next week.  As the words left his mouth my face could not hide my feelings.  My teenager caught my look and chuckled to herself.  She knew this was not exactly good news.  I tried to feign excitement but my husband already knew none was to be had.  Now, don’t misunderstand it isn’t because I do not adore him.  It is because as my daughter said, “it is an abnormality”.  Having him home completely throws me off balance. As if having my oldest home for two weeks was not throwing me off … Continue reading

Gender Disappointment – It Does Happen Sometimes

Whether you are expecting your first child or a subsequent addition to the family, you are likely to have some feelings about what the new baby’s gender is. Also, no matter how hard you try to avoid thinking about the subject, you are likely to have some amount of desire for your baby to be a particular gender. With my first pregnancy, I wanted to have a little boy. When the ultrasound showed that I was indeed carrying a boy, I was elated. During my second pregnancy, I felt like I was carrying a girl and like I wanted to … Continue reading

What’s a Sick Mommy To Do?

Being a sick mommy is very difficult. The whole family relies heavily on all you do everyday. It is easy to run yourself down even more taking care of all your responsibilities even while not feeling well. It is also easy to become frustrated and impatient with little ones who still need mom’s attention. I know what it is like to just want to sleep but need to tend to a child during the day. Often a sick mommy is also a caregiver to sick family members. Oddly I have found it easier for all of us to be sick … Continue reading

Your Time Is Valuable Too

I struggle with saying no to people. I am so fortunate to be surrounded by people who are willing to help Hailey and I at the drop of a hat, and usually those are not the people who put me in a place where I feel guilty about saying no. Being a single mother means you have to rely on other people, people who are not your spouse or your child’s other parent. You have to swallow your pride often and ask for help when things get overwhelming. I have trouble asking for help, I don’t ever want to be … Continue reading

How I Met Your Father

In my last post, I described how one genealogy blogger’s account of how her grandfather and grandmother met made me think a lot about the importance of preserving family stories for future generations. In the spirit of recording family stories for posterity, I think that I will share my own story about how I met my husband. My boys are too young to understand the story, but there will come a day when they will wonder how their family came to be and this is what I will tell them. It all started when I was a student in law … Continue reading

My Insurance Broker was a Big Help!

I am still searching for affordable health insurance. All my attempts to find it so far have resulted in being accepted for policies that were too expensive. Today, my husband and I met with an insurance broker. She was incredibly helpful! At this moment, I have absolutely no health insurance coverage. I am seeking an individual policy. I don’t happen to have the type of job that offers employer sponsored health insurance, (which would be a group policy). I am also seeking health insurance for myself, only. My husband has health insurance coverage through Medicare. Today, we went to see … Continue reading

One Thing At A Time

A little while ago, Stephanie Romero wrote a great post about the many hats that home –based professionals wear. I wholeheartedly agree with Stephanie’s advice to do your best to wear only one hat at a time. I’m a strict adherent to the one – hat policy because I have noticed that when I try to wear more than one hat, I either forget things or do them incorrectly. My attempts at multitasking have resulted in things like socks being put in the freezer, a very smelly pot of burnt beans that caused the entire house to stink for days, … Continue reading

Remembering Forever

When was the last time you looked at your wedding album? Most couples don’t make a habit of pulling out their marriage memory books unless there’s a good reason to do, such as looking to see something specific in a photo or remembering what a guest or member of the wedding party wrote in a speech or toast. Other couples make it a traditional to page through their wedding scrapbook on their anniversary. This is especially true of newly hitched brides and grooms who enjoy taking a trip down memory lane. As couples age, the motivation to thumb through albums … Continue reading

Don’t Take It Out on Your Husband

Our family is a bit unique, in that my sister married my husband’s brother. So that means my sister is not only my sister but my sister-in-law. Confused? What this also means is that our families see each other a lot. We are so closely intertwined that it can be a blessing but it can also be a challenge. Take Thanksgiving…we have always had a rotation schedule. My sister and brother-in-law host Thanksgiving, while my family hosts Christmas. But this year, for reasons that don’t really matter, we are getting the task of hosting both. The pressure I feel in … Continue reading