Cthulhu AllSpark is not a Good Baby Name

How did you decide upon the perfect name for you son or daughter? Many parents choose names that have been handed down in their families from one generation to the next. Others pick names that are popular in the year the baby was born. One couple decided to break with tradition and ask “the internet” to select a name for their baby girl. Poor thing almost got named Cthulhu All-Spark! How did this very unique name get suggested? It didn’t come from either of her parents! Stephen McLaughlin, a software developer, decided to ask the Reddit community to suggest some … Continue reading

When Your Baby Becomes a Big Sibling

Your baby is growing up fast but she is still your little girl. But your little girl will be a big sister soon. Big sisters come with big responsibilities. It can be quite an adjustment for a little one who just left her own bottle behind. How will everyone respond to a change in family dynamics? When my daughter was about to become a big sister for the first time, my husband and I were concerned with jealousy issues. We were told to expect regression and poor behavior to gain attention. We wanted to have a plan in place to … Continue reading

Happy Graduation Baby Girl!

Yesterday my daughter graduated from high school. When I got divorced graduation seemed so far away, I was more concerned with who would watch her in the summer and for school holidays. It seemed like forever until I didn’t need a babysitter so I could work. Graduation wasn’t even a thought. The time has flown by. My baby bird is now a young adult. On graduation day and all of Hailey’s special occasions I am so glad her father and I have been able to remember what is important- our daughter. Hailey was able to share her day with both … Continue reading

Baby Blog Month in Review: July 2008

Two of my three children are summer babies. That is, they were born in the summer and had their first months surrounded by sunshine streaming in the windows, the sound of birds chirping, and days spent wearing nothing but a diaper and a “onsie.” I made sure that they had Fourth of July outfits ready, even though one of them arrived a week after the holiday. I guess he just wasn’t interested in the parade. Do you have a summer baby, too? We had a lot of new information to share this past month, such as recall notices and new … Continue reading

Celebrity REAL or RUMOR: Jessica on the Mend, Love’s Baby Bump and NKOTB Ready to Rock NYC

JESSICA ON THE MEND Just in case you care… singer Jessica Simpson is out of the hospital. The former reality TV star was reportedly taken to the hospital late Friday after suffering a fever (yes, a fever). According to reports, the 27-year-old actress was taken to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center and was later diagnosed with a kidney infection. In Touch magazine is reporting that the singer didn’t want to take any chances with her health since she just returned from Iraq where she performed for the troops. (Wonder if she thought she caught a foreign illness from American soldiers?) And Simpson … Continue reading

Ask a Baby Blogger: Why My Toddlers Aren’t Allowed to Talk Back

Question: I’ve heard you say a few times that you don’t allow your toddlers to talk back to you. At first, I thought you meant preschoolers but in one of your posts you even make mention of insisting that your 14 month old doesn’t say ‘no’ to you. How exactly do you accomplish this? I don’t mean to offend you, but you sound horribly strict. I am going to have to answer this in two parts. First, I’ll give you the ‘why’ of dealing with toddlers and then in another blog I’ll explain how exactly we gain their cooperation. Yes, … Continue reading

Baby Blog Week in Review August 1 to August 4

We had a super busy week in the baby blog thanks to some guest bloggers. In fact, it was so busy, I had to divide the week in review in half. You can read the first half here. August 1 World Breastfeeding Week and That Critical First Hour The focus of World Breastfeeding Week this year is saving one million babies by getting more mothers to breastfeed within the first hour after birth. The World Health Organization estimates that if there were simply a moderate increase in breastfeeding, infant mortality would drop drastically! Your Baby the Liar Did you know … Continue reading

Tori Spelling’s New Baby

Actress Tori Spelling has given birth… to a new… inn. Okay, okay, I apologize for teasing. Spelling is still pregnant and is set to give birth any day now to a baby boy she confirmed will be given the middle name “Aaron” (a tribute to her father Aaron Spelling). In the meantime, this weekend, Spelling and her husband Dean McDermott celebrated the grand opening of their new bed and breakfast—but just barely. “Dean was painting doors until 2 p.m.,” Spelling told PEOPLE magazine. “Only hours before the gala, all the furniture was gathered in the middle of the rooms and … Continue reading

Bittersweet Celebrity Baby News

Is it a “Beverly Hills 90210” baby bonanza? Just a few days after her fellow “90210” co-star Jennie Garth gave birth to a girl, Tori Spelling has announced that she is just months away from being a mom herself. According to PEOPLE magazine, Spelling is 14 weeks pregnant with her first child. The magazine quotes sources close to the couple, as saying that Spelling and her actor husband Dean McDermott are “excited and happy” about the news. But, the fact is, I can’t help but think that the news is also slightly bittersweet. After all, if you have been following … Continue reading

Your Chubby Baby: Cute Roles or Dangerously Fat?

Of my five children, two of them have weighed in the 95th percentile up until about age 2. Interestingly, my oldest, who was exclusively breastfed, was the smallest at birth of any of my children and the fattest as a baby. The girl had triple rolls on her thighs! But eventually, like most normal children, she grew out of it and now she weighs just the right amount for her height and age. I had never given baby fat a second thought until I recently had a conversation with a mother in the park. She mentioned that she put her … Continue reading