The New Year’s Babies of 2017

There are babies born every day of the year, but the babies born on New Year’s Eve, or New Year’s Day, get the most attention from the news channels and websites. These babies experience a moment of fame shortly after being born. Here is a quick look at some of the New Year’s Babies of 2017. The Chicago Cubs won the World Series in 2016. This inspired some parents who are Cubs fans to give their newborns names that commemorate that historic win. Some of these newborns were New Year’s babies. Wrigley Rose has the unofficial honor of being the … Continue reading

Special Needs Blog Week in Review – Week of February 12 – 18, 2012

The Special Needs Blog Week in Review is a great way to quickly catch up on everything that appeared in the Special Needs Blog in the past week. It is a good way to make sure that you haven’t missed anything. You can scan through this list to search for blogs about whatever particular special needs your child happens to have. The Special Needs Podcast Roundup for the week went up on February 13, 2012. I would like to point out an episode done by The Coffee Klatch that is titled “NY Times Op Ed Gone Wrong – Ritalin Gone … Continue reading

Newborns With Heart Surgery

In the news this week, there have been two stories about newborns that required heart surgery. A five day old infant had her heart rebuilt by surgeons. A fifteen minute old baby had a pacemaker surgically attached to her heart. It is pretty amazing what science can do to save the lives of tiny babies who have special needs. Keyota Cole is thirty-three years old, and is from Bakersfield, California. She has a form of congenital heart disease that is called Ebstein’s anomaly. This means that her tricuspid valve doesn’t work properly. The tricuspid is the valve that is between … Continue reading

Nebraska Safe Haven Law Now Applies Only to Newborns

Nebraska state legislators have changed the state’s “safe haven” law, which allowed a parent to leave a child with a hospital employee without fear of facing charges, to apply only to infants in the first month of life. Last spring, Nebraska became the last U.S. state to enact a safe haven law. These laws are intended to prevent frightened new parents from abandoning the baby in an unsafe place or from hiding and possibly killing the baby. In 49 states, the law specifies the age of the infants the law applies to. In some states the law applies to newborns … Continue reading

Photography Week In Review For October 8-13, 2007

Mother Nature is going out in a blaze of colorful glory and her natural fireworks show was the topic of quite a few blogs this week. Mother Nature, babies and frames—we’ve covered them all. If you missed any of them look at the Photography Week in Review as the ultimate way to get caught up. Heck, you may just pick up a useful tip or two. October 8th—Capturing A Picture Perfect Autumn Landscape. Tis the season to leaf peep and this blog gets you into the spirit by listing some helpful tips on how to morph Mother Nature’s masterpieces into … Continue reading

Raising An Adopted Child: #2 Newborns

During the first several years of a child’s life attachment with the parents is the most important issue. Adopted newborn behavior relationships with their mother and father is not much different then a biological baby’s behavior would be. The biggest differences between biological and adopted newborns appear the most with the adoptive parents feelings and behaviors. When dealing with the ordinary issues all parents of new babies face, such as colic and fussiness, adoptive parents often worry their instincts aren’t working right or that they would know what to do if they were the biological parents. Many adoptive parents of … Continue reading

Welcoming Baby #2

Welcoming Baby #2 is the first in a series on coping with sibling issues and a new baby. All next week, we’ll be talking about helping you and your children cope with the new arrival and how to avoid favorites and much, much more. Having a second child opens up a whole new chapter in the life of a family. For parents, this means that not only do you have to adapt to having a baby in the house again, you have to get their older sibling ready to handle having baby there too. Your older child will likely have … Continue reading

Soft-Soled shoes – Not Just For Newborns Anymore!

Soft-soled shoes are one of my favorite “inventions” for babies and toddlers. When my oldest son was an infant, they didn’t exist. I kept him in some snap-on slippers for the first two years of his life. Something about big bulky baby shoes seemed counter-intuitive to me. By the time my last baby was born, soft soled shoes were springing up all over the place. Thanks to the internet and entrepreneurial mothers out there, there are now many different styles, prices and sizes of soft-soled shoes to pick from. We used to think that baby’s first shoe needed to have … Continue reading

Facts About Breastfeeding

New mothers need to decide if they want to breastfeed their baby or to give their baby formula. Each individual mom will make that chose based on their circumstances and their personal preferences. The World Health Organization (WHO) has some informative facts about breastfeeding. The WHO points out that breastfeeding for the first six months is crucial. They recommend that mothers initiate breastfeeding with one hour after birth. According to the WHO, infants should be exclusively breastfed for the first six months of life to achieve optimal growth, development, and health. They also recommend that breastfeeding should continue for up … Continue reading

A Baby Will Turn You Into Someone Different Than You’ve Ever Imagined

My youngest sister has her first baby now. And, as a result, I think I have become her go-to person when she is wondering anything about motherhood. From breastfeeding, to “what’s that!”, to “should I worry?” questions, it has brought us a little closer as sisters. We are 8 years apart in age, but now it seems like now that she is a Mom, we have plenty to talk about. I look at her reaction to things and smile now that I have have survived 3 newborns. She texted me the other day to let me know that she had … Continue reading