Keeping Costs Low With No Health Insurance

As a person who doesn’t have health insurance, I am very aware of how expensive a visit to the doctor could potentially be. As a result, I have had to learn what I can do in order to keep the cost of receiving medical care, and prescription medication, as low as possible. Here is what worked for me. I am among the millions of Americans who cannot afford to purchase private health insurance. Like most Americans, I do not have the type of job that offers employer sponsored health insurance. So far, I haven’t been able to qualify for (most … Continue reading

Alaska Will Not Create a Health Insurance Exchange

Ever since the Supreme Court decided that the Affordable Care Act was constitutional, there has been a lot of news about state insurance exchanges. Some states are working on their exchange, and others have refused to create one. Alaska is among the states that have decided not to create an exchange. Part of the Affordable Care Act requires state Governors to submit proposals that give details about how their state health insurance exchange will operate. The deadline for that is November 16, 2012. States that fail to have their plans approved by the federal government, and states that choose not … Continue reading

Things to Know About Health Insurance Rebates

Part of the Affordable Care Act includes something called the medical loss ratio. Health insurance companies who fail to meet the requirements of the ratio have to issue rebates to their customers. Those rebates are supposed to go out in August of this year. Here are things you should know about the health insurance rebates. The medical loss ratio is a portion of the Affordable Care Act that went into affect in 2011. It was created to prevent health insurance companies from spending the majority of the money that their customers paid in premiums on things like employee salaries, advertisement, … Continue reading

Giving it Another Try – With Health Insurance

My quest to find affordable health insurance coverage continues. I’ve lost count of how many times I have attempted, and failed, this particular quest. My hope is that the research I did today will actually result in a quality, affordable, health insurance plan this time. If not…. perhaps I’ll move to Canada. Last year, my husband and I tried to find health insurance coverage. We thought we’d found it, but it turned out that the plan we purchased wasn’t what we were led to believe it would be. At the time, we were looking for a health insurance plan that … Continue reading

School Clinics Do Not Require Health Insurance

School-based health clinics are in several public schools across the nation. They provide much more health care to students than a typical “Nurse’s Office” is designed to do. Visiting the clinic usually requires parental permission. It does not require a student to be covered by health insurance. Typically, the job of a School Nurse includes handing out band-aids, determining if a child truly is too sick to be at school, and dispensing medications to children who have ADHD, autism, allergies, and other disorders. Today, you cannot assume that your child’s school will actually have a full-time nurse in the building. … Continue reading

Texas Will Not Create Health Insurance Exchange

One of the laws that has been created through the health reform regulations requires all states to create their own health insurance exchange system by 2014. If a state chooses not to do this, then the federal government will step in and create their state’s exchange for them. Texas has recently decided against creating an exchange. As always, there are two sides to this story. Governor Rick Perry is very strongly opposed to the health system reform law that requires each state to from a health insurance exchange system. He has stated that he would veto any legislation that would … Continue reading

Health Credit Cards are Not Health Insurance

There is a new trend that many credit card companies have picked up on. They have started selling health-care credit cards, designed to pay for the medical care that you need, but cannot afford to pay for on your own. These cards could help bridge the gaps in a person’s health insurance policy, but they are not a sufficient replacement for having health insurance. What happens when a person needs a certain type of medical or dental procedure and their health insurance doesn’t cover it? For many people, it means they must make a decision between two unfortunate choices. They … Continue reading

The High Cost of Not Having Health Insurance

Americans who do not have health insurance are still going to require health care, from time to time. A government study shows that uninsured Americans are leaving hospitals with unpaid bills of up to $49 billion a year. This is happening with people who are both below and above the poverty line. A study done by the Department of Health and Human Services revealed some interesting results. It probably wouldn’t surprise anyone to know that families whose income places them below the poverty line, and who do not have health insurance, cannot pay their hospital bills. The study found that … Continue reading

Living Donors Face Difficulties With Health Insurance

Organ donation saves lives. Living donors take a big risk when they donate one of their kidneys, or part of their liver, to a loved one who needs a transplant in order to survive. This is something people do out of love. Unfortunately, many health insurance companies are punishing those who have selflessly given their loved one a second chance on life. It seems incredibly unfair. There are more than 110,000 people, in the United States alone, who are waiting for an organ transplant. Almost 90,000 of the people in this group are in need of a kidney transplant. Others … Continue reading

It’s Still Not Easy to Get Health Insurance

Since the Affordable Health Care Act was signed, there have been some changes that made it easier for some people to get health insurance. Those with pre-existing conditions cannot be turned away simply because of the pre-existing condition. In many states, insurance companies are offering more options for parents to get health insurance for their children. Despite these changes, there are still quite a lot of people who are having difficulty getting health insurance. My husband and I do not have the kind of employment situations that offer employer sponsored health insurance. We have tried to get health insurance but … Continue reading