One in Four Toddlers Improperly Vaccinated

CDC researchers are concerned because recent studies show that one in four toddlers are improperly vaccinated. Either they are missing doses or are given vaccinations too early or too late. However, the CDC is calling this a “wake up” call. Interestingly, one issue that the study discovered was that babies were being immunized too early. If a baby or toddler is immunized too early and/or has their shots too close together, the CDC counted them as invalid saying that there is a window of optimal response. If your baby has the shot too early, then the response might not be … Continue reading

Yet Another Study Refutes Immunizations-Autism Link

Set to be published in the American Journal of Pediatrics is another study that refutes the notion that thimerosal causes autism. You may remember that a little while ago, a study done by the Department of Health in California suggested that there was no link because in that state, thimerosal has not been used in routine vaccinations since the early ’90’s, yet the autism rate has continued to increase steadily rather than decrease; which is what you’d expect to see if there were a strong link. Some Background Thimerosal is mercury that is used as a preservative in vaccinations. Fears … Continue reading

Ask a Baby Blogger: Q & A on Vaccines

Since I’ve started doing some blogs on vaccines and we’ve been discussing the issue in the forums, I’ve been getting more and more questions about vaccines. Today I’m going to answer them as best as I can. Please understand, that I’m not a medical expert. I’m a plain old mom whose had a lot of babies. Consequently, I’ve done a lot of research. I believe that every parent needs to be responsible for researching the best option for their child. Where exactly do you get your information? I try to pull information from a variety of sites. It really depends … Continue reading

Are Vaccines Safe? Other Things You Should Know

In my last blog on vaccines, I wrote about vaccination safety from a statistical perspective. We discussed that all vaccines carry some risk of side effects. . .some of which are severe. We looked at numbers from Japan and the pertussis vaccine that carried the risk of anaphylaxis. (Severe allergic reaction.) Whooping cough was not all that common in the preceding years before the vaccine was stopped. However after the vaccine was stopped, we see a dramatic rise in pertussis cases and a dramatic rise in death. Although the vaccine did carry with it some risks, no one ever died … Continue reading

Are Vaccines Really Safe? Looking at Safety Differently

In my first blog, I mentioned that I’m attempting to find as much information as I possibly can about vaccines. I welcome any questions that you might have; you can either leave them in the comments below, visit the forums where we were discussing this, or send me a private message. It seems like one of the first questions we need to address is whether or not vaccines are actually safe. It’s a disturbing question to answer because if you read the medical literature you walk away with the idea that there are absolutely no risks involved whatsoever, or at … Continue reading

All About Immunizations: Introduction

This series of blogs was started because of a discussion in the forums about vaccines. I realize that vaccines can be a controversial subject. I am not an expert either. As I explained to someone in the forums, we live in the inner city where many diseases that are considered “all but extinct” are actually alive and well. So although we delay vaccines, we don’t consider them optional. This isn’t an anti-vaccination series. However, I am never in favor of a “one size fits all” approach to medicine. This includes vaccines. What might be right for one family, may not … Continue reading