Don’t Give Your Baby Water to Drink

I have posted before in the forums that giving a baby water to drink is dangerous. (And just to be clear, we’re talking about babies under 6 months.) It can cause malnutrition because instead of filling baby’s tummy with breastmilk or formula, you’re filling baby’s tummy with water. Simply put, water doesn’t meet the nutritional needs of a baby. Most parents know not to give water to a healthy infant, but failure to thrive syndrome and water intake are sometimes associated. However, I was unaware that giving a young baby too much water to drink can also cause water toxicity. … Continue reading

Fountains and Waterfalls for the Backyard

If you are interested in creating your own private oasis, a place where you can relax and de-stress from the crazy activities of everyday life, why not consider a backyard fountain or waterfall. The soothing sound of the water has some type of magical power that creates an inviting atmosphere while creating the ultimate in serenity. The nice thing about a backyard fountain or waterfall is that you can build your own. Although you will need to learn a little, they are not difficult to construct and cost much less than buying one. With your fountain or waterfall, you can … Continue reading

Online Baby Freebies and Coupons

Whether you are expecting, or have already had your little bundle of joy, here are some great freebies I’m sure you both will enjoy. Baby Food and Formula *Similac Welcome Addition Club Register in three easy steps and start enjoying money saving coupons in the mail. *Bright Beginnings Become a member and receive a free sample of Bright Beginnings Formula and money saving coupons in the mail. *Nestle Good Start Formula Sign up to receive money saving checks for Nestle Good Start Formula. *Sam’s Club Members Mark Soy Formula Sign up today and receive a free sample of Members Mark … Continue reading

The Best Way to Clean Baby and Toddler Toys

Have you ever wondered how sanitary your baby or toddler’s toys are? Most toddlers have the ability to grab toys and put them into their mouths. This is especially true for babies and toddlers that are teething. Keeping toys clean can help prevent illness from spreading. Does your baby or toddler use a teething toy? Good Housekeeping recently reported that a popular toddler teething toy called Sophie the Giraffe has the potential to grow mold inside it. Some parents, who cut apart Sophie the Giraffe, discovered that the inside was coated with black mold. Carolyn Forte, the Director of the … Continue reading

Staying Safe While you are Nesting

Have you heard stories of pregnant women who suddenly become possessed with an urge to deep – clean their entire homes from top to bottom? It does happen some times, and it is called “nesting”. Please note that I said that it happens some times, for some pregnant women.  I never experienced an overwhelming urge to deep clean my house during either of my pregnancies.  I kept wondering (and I am sure that my husband did too) when I would find myself washing the windows or mopping the   floors like a woman possessed, but it just never happened. If you … Continue reading

Growing Raspberries in Your Garden

Raspberries: these sweet, tart little nuggets are one of the best things about summer. Put them onto cereal or eat them straight off the raspberry bush. Yum! H ow do you grow raspberries? It’s quite easy to grow raspberries from the various potted varieties in the nursery. If a friend has a raspberry bush, ask if she has any smaller plants popping up in the gardens. I see baby plants in my garden frequently, and they turn into new bushes to give to friends or to plant elsewhere in the garden. Plant raspberries in a dry, sunny spot in the … Continue reading

Spring Break on the High Seas

Given the recent string of cruise line disasters, you’d think that you’d be able to snag a hefty money-saving offer by a major carrier right about now. Well, think again. I checked, and no luck. Cruising with my child is at the top of my bucket list and I figured I would dig around a bit to see if we could score a last-minute deal on a spring break sailing. While there are some deals out there, none of them coincide with my daughter’s break from school. What’s more, in most cases, flights to the cruise’s departure city cost more … Continue reading

Must Have Item: Name Bubbles

I am in love with baby items. My love for these items did not fade as my children grew. In fact, I love children’s items for all ages. I’m such a kid! I enjoy seeing all the new items and dream how much better it would have been if I had the item when my children were babies. My youngest will be three so I can still enjoy some things. For instance, I can enjoy Name Bubbles. Name Bubbles are a great product that I wish I had 13 years ago when my first was born. Yet, this product has … Continue reading

Allergies? Minimize Your Exposure to Spring Allergens

Spring brings more than flower buds and gentle warmth. It also brings tree pollen carried many miles on the spring breeze, mold spores from the spring moisture and yes, flower pollen too. It is estimated that more than 60 million of us here in America suffer from allergies. Sneezing, a runny nose and itchy, watery eyes are no fun. You can minimize your exposer to spring allergens with the following tips. All in the Timing Spring allergens are at their peak during the hours of 5 am and 10 am. If you can avoid doing your gardening or outdoor work, … Continue reading

Getting Artwork for Pennies

Did you know that your local thrift store can supply you with high quality art? Yes, I know what you are thinking, all of those paint by number paintings or water damaged prints are not your idea of good art. But that isn’t what I am talking about at all. Here is how to get some real treasures at your local thrift store. First of all, go right past the art section without passing go. Okay, you can peak at it if you like, but you will probably be disappointed. Instead, go to the book area. Pull out any books … Continue reading