Padded Bras For 6-Year Olds

What is the fashion world coming to? Now stores are selling padded bras for six year olds. That is kindergarten age. So bras aren’t just for those who are actually developing but a necessity to start kindergarten. It’s crazy. What is even crazier is that parents actually buy them for their daughters. Bratz padded bras are currently being sold in Australia and it’s only a matter of time before they make their way to the United States. In a Herald Sun article Target, a separate entity from the US Target, claimed that they sell the padded bras because they support … Continue reading

What is Age Appropriate Sexual Development in Early Childhood? Introduction.

A child of four inserts a pair of scissors into her bottom. A child of eight attempts to put his penis into his little sister’s vagina. Is this acceptable behavior? No. Is it developmentally normal? No. These are indicators of something being wrong and worthy of concern. What is developmentally normal though? It can be so confusing and scary when a parent catches their children engaged in sex play. Usually the parents first reaction is shock, followed quickly by anger, and then concern, both for their own perception of perhaps being a bad parent and then for their child: “Am … Continue reading

The Death of Childhood

I am outraged. No, it’s not the death of picture books this time but something even more serious -the death of childhood. Don’t know what I’m talking about? On Saturday I went to a conference for women in our area. One of the speakers was talking about the media’s influence on our children and the sexualization of girls. For a lot of us there I’m sure it was a real wake up call. I admit recently while looking for an outfit to buy for our young granddaughter I was horrified at the sayings on some of the t shirts and … Continue reading