Scrapping Multiples

There are multiple multiples that attend our church. Families with twins and triplets are a common site on Sundays, and no matter how often I see them sitting in the pews or running around the parking lot, I am still in awe of their presence… mainly because most of the multiples have at least six siblings in their respective clans. Okay, it’s not really the multiples who I revere, it’s their parents. While I know some of the moms quite well, I’ve never inquired about how each documents their two-or-three-for-one’s milestones. I can’t imagine what it would be like scrapbooking … Continue reading

Naming Multiples

I went to grade school with triplets named Kerry, Jerry and Mary and for the longest time I thought it was a requirement for multiples to have names that rhymed. I learned otherwise when I went to summer camp in junior high and met triplets named John, Andrea and Molly. If you had a hard time coming up with a name for your singleton child, consider how daunting it must be for parents of multiples to settle on names for all of their children. In the case of twins there seems to be an unwritten rule that both children should … Continue reading

The Perks of Having Higher Order Multiples?

In June the world saw it’s first double sextuplet birth. Two mothers, in two separate states, gave birth to sextuplets on June 11th. The Morrisons, a couple in Minnesota gave birth at 20 weeks via c-section. The Masche’s gave birth at 30 weeks and 4 days (this is a very long pregnancy for sextuplets) also via c-section. (On a side note, can you imagine pushing out 6 babies? Really no one can. . .sextuplets are always delivered via c-section.) Sadly for the Morrisons, five of their six sextuplets died. The remaining sextuplet remains in the hospital in critical condition. To … Continue reading

5 Great Information Resources for M.O.M.s (Mothers of Multiples)

As any mother of twins (or more) can tell you, being blessed with two little bundles at one time is not in any way, shape or form, like having one baby at a time–even if the said babies are close in age. It is not a little harder than one newborn, and it is certainly not easier as one very worn out mother told me saying, “Well, at least lots of people will help you.” Having multiples is exponentially harder than having one baby and believe me, we M.O.M.s can use all the resources we can get. 1. National Organization … Continue reading

Legislation for Twins in the Classroom

As many of you know, Valorie is a mother of twins. I too have twins in my family. A few days ago, Valorie was generous enough to send me a link to an article about either keeping twins together or separating them in school. I know from my family’s experience that deciding which to do is a big decision. However, I was completely surprised to find that a law was needed to address the issue. The number of twins and other multiple babies born each year continues to increase. Part of this increase is contributed to women being older when … Continue reading

That Twin Thing: Social Development

Twins are the fascinating subject of numerous studies. There are studies that attempt to lay to rest the great nature vs. nurture debate. There are studies to support or debunk the idea that twins, especially identical twins have some sort of mysterious connection unknown to the non-multiple world. There are studies that attempt to explain how they develop and how being a twin (or multiple) affects life. And for all the studies that have been done, there are just as many conclusions. However, one aspect that I’ve noticed to be very different in their development is their social development. In … Continue reading

That Twin Thing: Introduction

First of all, let me offer a big thanks to Kori and Myra for letting me share my experiences on raising multiples with you here. I hope to visit here regularly to offer my own insights on raising twins (because yes, it is different than raising singleton siblings), as well as share research on multiples and other interesting news! Generally I blog in baby, (as well as food, and home schooling) and have actually written quite a few things about having multiples in the infancy stage. But we are now at a very old 30 months and are slowly growing … Continue reading

To Separate or Not to Separate: Twins in the Classroom

When twins get to be school aged, many parents face the dilemma of what to do with their twins. While some schools have rigid policies regarding separating twins (or not separating them) other schools have a more relaxed approach. What’s interesting to me is that despite a lack of solid evidence for either side, proponents of both sides are equally adamant in their positions. Separating Twins People who fall on this side almost always tend to be administration and teachers, although there are parents who feel their twins would be best served by being separated. Many teachers feel that keeping … Continue reading

Freelance Writing: Outline of a Query Letter

Create a professional query letter by including relevant information, ways in which you can be contacted, and keeping it less than one page in length. Use the following or a similar outline. Use the Appropriate Salutation Locate the editor’s name and always address your letter to the editor. There may be different editors for different topics, so be sure you’re writing to the appropriate one. Example: Dear Ms. Smith, If you cannot ascertain the person’s gender by the name alone, look for clues in the guidelines. If the editor’s name is Pat Smith, and there is no indication if Pat … Continue reading

Baby Gear – The Useful And The Useless

With so many baby items on the market today, first – time parents are often confused when they sit down to create a baby registry. How do you know which things you will need, and which you can do without? One idea is to look around for lists on the internet. Many experienced moms and dads have shared their opinions about what they used, and what they found useless. Use these lists as inspiration, and as food for thought about whether the items mentioned on the lists fit with your philosophy about how you would like to parent your child. … Continue reading