Three ideas for quick cash. (Help me with more ideas please!)

I’ve been out of touch with all of you for about a month now, due to a death in the family. Today I come back to writing and it feels good. I hope you’ve been reading Miriam’s blog posts and will continue to come back here on a daily basis. Every weekday I’ll update you on my personal love / hate relationship with money and what I’m doing to turn it around into a win/win relationship. Today, I’ve got a money dilemma. There is this workshop I want to go to, and it costs $150.00. In earlier posts I’ve written … Continue reading

MTA Begins Pilot Program to Help Pregnant Commuters

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) has launched a pilot program designed to encourage customers to offer pregnant, disabled, and senior riders a seat. The program is modeled after a program that has been used in London. It will be the first program of its kind in the United States. MTA already provides disabled customers with “priority seating” on busses and trains. While riders are required to relinquish seats in those areas under federal regulations and MTA rules of conduct, new courtesy buttons can help riders better identify which customers need seats. The campaign also encourages customers, as a matter of … Continue reading

Respond Please

I don’t get. What is so hard about saying “yes” or “no” to a party invitation? Especially if the bash is for a child. A young child who doesn’t understand why some of his friends didn’t show up for his safari-themed shindig. Or worse, why some said they’d be there, and then bailed at the last minute. Fortunately, young children are resilient, void of pettiness, unresentful… and easily distracted by cake, ice cream, balloons, streamers and presents. Especially presents. It’s the parents hosting the party who could stand to channel more of that forgiving nature. Of course, I certainly don’t … Continue reading

Major Product Recall – Please Check Your Child’s Pajama Drawer

Before you became a parent, you may have had little to no involvement with product recalls. I know that I never did, with the exception of a couple of notices that I received regarding repairs that had to be made to my car, at the manufacturer’s expense. Once you become a parent, you will likely learn rather quickly that products made for babies and children are frequently the subject of product recalls. A product recall is when the public is notified that a specific product is potentially dangerous. Recalled items may have to be removed from use, used differently, repaired … Continue reading

Helping Kids Balance Electronics and Life

With Christmas around the corner electronics are in high demand. But, how do we as parents teach our children to find a balance between technology and their other everyday activities? Our kids are living in a digital world. They instinctively know how to work just about every electronic device out there. I have been amazed at the things my 4 year old can do on Grandma’s Ipad. He knows how to work it better than I do. He can navigate and find his favorite shows in a matter of seconds. He knows right where his games are and can go … Continue reading

Please Just Listen

Sometimes the worst thing you can possibly say to someone is “I know exactly what you mean” and then launch into the reason that you know exactly what they mean. It’s never the same and when you are a single mother and your married friends say they know how it feels because their husband works too much or isn’t involved enough with the kids, it seems to negate what you go through on a regular basis. So many times I’ve been talking with a married friend and I’m frustrated at having to do this alone so I need to vent … Continue reading

Home School Blogger Spotlight: Beginning Reading Help

Teaching a child to read is one question that arises quite often among homeschoolers or those considering homeschooling. Reading is obviously an essential part of education. A student who reads well will have a greater chance of success in all subjects. Everyone wants to be sure to put their child in the best position to learn how to read effectively and fluently. If you are looking for resources to help you teach your child click on over to Beginning Reading Help. Beginning Reading Help is designed to helping homeschoolers, teachers, tutors and parents find the tools they need to raise … Continue reading

More of this, please…

One of our biggest questions that we ask in regards to older children in the system, one of the questions that led us to this adoption journey in the first place, is what happens when those children become adults? Where do they end up? The simple but depressing answer is… on the streets. According to statistics, 80% of homeless youth in this country are foster children who aged out. There is another answer, though… in jail. With no home to call their own, and no family to turn to, I guess we shouldn’t be surprised. Released from the system to … Continue reading

Helpful Hints For Excellent Communication

As a home-based business owner, you are able to provide your clients with some advantages that they just cannot get from “the big guys”. One major advantage that clients and customers get from dealing with home-based professionals is personal service. Since you (and perhaps only a few other staff is you have employees) are the only one(s) dealing with your clients, you can give them a great deal of attention and service that shows that you know them and you value their needs. One great way that you can distinguish yourself in the area of customer service is communication. By … Continue reading

Day to Day Help

Over the years the psalms have brought encouragement and help to many people, myself included. One reason is they are so honest and full of emotion and practical tips for our Christian lives. Today I’m going to look at Psalm 48, which is not one of David’s psalms but a psalm of the sons of Korah. It starts by praising God for the city of Jerusalem that God has been pleased to call his own. Have you ever stopped to praise God for the city or place where you live and to pray for the people of that place? The … Continue reading