Adding Pizzazz to Ordinary Pork

In a previous blog I hinted that the price of food has affected my menu planning and some of you noted that you are in the same boat. One reader commented that pork is a lot cheaper than chicken in his neck of the woods. I was surprised by the comment and today I did some comparison shopping at my local market. Chicken is cheaper, but I only buy whole birds or breast meat in bulk. However, the price of pork (at least the cuts I looked at) was not exorbitantly high. While I wouldn’t consider buying more pork based … Continue reading

Valorie’s Leftover Pork Noodle Bowl

With five kids, there are a few things that I must keep on hand at all times. Graham crackers, macaroni and cheese, sugar free popsicles, chicken nuggets and Ramen noodles. This is a story (and recipe) about how Ramen noodles saved the day, and a lesson on how not to prepare dinner. It was 5:15 and we eat at six o’clock. There was blissful silence. The twins hadn’t woken up yet, and something utterly engrossing was on the television–I have no idea what because I was too wrapped up in the silence. In any case, when I realized the time … Continue reading

Caramel Apple Pork Chops

This delicious fall/winter dish combines sweet and salty for a fantastic flavor. Marinating is optional, but it yields a more tender finished product. I originally found this recipe online and altered it to include marinade and to increase the amount of sauce. (Otherwise my kids would’ve fought over the sauce.) Despite the many steps this is a great week night dish as the meat and sauce cook quickly. We especially like this paired with acorn squash and some home made bread with honey butter. You will need: 4 (3/4 inch) thick pork chops 2 teaspoons vegetable oil 1/2 cup apple … Continue reading

Tex Mex Marinade and Dr. Pepper Marinade–Too Interesting to Pass Up!

A few days ago I wrote about Mary’s Marinating Stick a brand new product on the kitchen gadget market. I figured it would only be suiting to offer a follow up article on marinating meat the old fashioned way. Marinades do two things: they tenderize meat and they flavor it. Marinades work by breaking down proteins in the meat to make it more tender. The enzymes in a marinade are not activated until they are heated so you are not tenderizing your meat when you stick it in the fridge overnight. You are flavoring it. The trick to making a … Continue reading

Twice Delicious: Tex Mex Pork Wraps

I don’t know about you, but whenever I cook in my crock pot I have leftovers. I do it on purpose actually. It is nearly impossible to cook with a “helpful” three year old and 20 month old twins underfoot. So the day after crock pot night is leftover night. I actually have two portions of leftovers (generally) and so I’ll usually freeze meat for another meal later. In any case, I thought you all might like to know what I did with my leftover Sweet Barbecue Pork Chops that we made in the slow cooker. First of all. . … Continue reading

Sweet Barbecue Pork Chops in the Crock Pot

Barbecue sauce seems to me to be a personal issue. There’s a dozen different ways to make it and each barbecue chef is convinced that his way is the right way. For our family, I make our barbecue sauce a little sweet with extra brown sugar to appeal to the taste buds of my kids. If you prefer a more savory sauce cut down on the brown sugar a little. And of course if you want more ‘kick’ to your sauce, add more chili powder, and a whole onion, finely chopped. It’s important to note that the “sauce” really is … Continue reading

Freezer Cooking Pork Recipes

Here are a few delicious pork chop recipes that work in the freezer. As I’ve mentioned before, I only share recipes that have been tried by my own family and given the seal of approval 🙂 Thumbs up to each of these recipes!! Enjoy! Mexicali Pork Chops Serves: 4 4 pork loin chop — 3/4″ thick 1/2 cup green bell pepper -chopped 1/4 cup diced onion 1 can diced tomatoes — (16 ounce) 1 can corn -whole kernel — (8 ounce) drained 1 can kidney beans — (8 ounce) drained 1/2 cup white rice 1/2 cup water 1 can diced … Continue reading

Rockin’ New Year’s Party Dishes

Ring in 2010 with a meal to remember. Whether it’s prime rib, a huge lobster dripping with butter or a succulent turkey, menu choices for New Year’s celebrations should be opulent and delicious. Fortunately, fancy doesn’t have to mean hard. The following recipes prove that. The Tenderloin with Bordelaise Sauce and Holiday Pork Roast don’t require professional chef skills to make. Still, the end results make stunning additions to your first dinner of the New Year. BEEF TENDERLOIN WITH BORDELAISE SAUCE Ingredients: 12-inch center cut beef tenderloin Kosher salt Fresh ground pepper 3 cloves garlic, minced, divided 4 tablespoons butter … Continue reading

Great Grilled Grub

Right now you could slap raw meat directly on my front walk and have a well-done burger in less than five minutes. It’s that hot outside. Whether your neck of the woods is sizzling in the summer heat or it’s unusually cloudy and cool, nothing says August like a meal prepared on the grill. Take some time to relish the season with a summer barbeque. Here are some simple recipes to get you started: SPICY GRILLED PORK CHOPS Ingredients: 3 tablespoons cumin seeds 1 tablespoon red chili flakes 2 tablespoons coriander seeds 1 tablespoon cracked black peppercorns 3 tablespoons dried … Continue reading

Manly Meals for Father’s Day

Unless your dad is a vegetarian or on a restricted diet, he’d probably enjoy dining on a thick, juicy T-bone rather than a garden salad on Father’s Day. Serve your dad a succulent meaty meal this weekend, with help from the following recipes: GRILLED PORK TENDERLOIN Ingredients: 2 pork tenderloins 1/4 cup soy sauce 1/4 cup Bourbon 1/4 cup canola oil 2 tablespoons brown sugar 2 cloves garlic, chopped Ingredients for Mustard Sauce: 1/2 cup mayonnaise 1/2 cup sour cream 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard 2 tablespoons finely chopped chives Salt and pepper to taste Directions: Mix the soy sauce, bourbon, … Continue reading