Keeping a Prayer Journal

Keeping a prayer journal can be a great aid in building your faith. Journaling your prayers is so helpful in keeping track of what you have prayed for as well as serving to remind you of prayer needs as they arise. The journal can become a wonderful recorded testimony of the Lord’s faithfulness in your life as prayer requests become answered. Keeping a prayer journal doesn’t just help keep track of prayer requests but serves as a testimony of your progressing walk with the Lord. Every now and then I’ll look back at my older writings. Sometimes I’m able to … Continue reading

Journal of Thankfulness and Loving Thoughts

insults, and disruptions. My children are not perfect. Each has done their share of complaining, whining and sadly insulting one another. Children are egocentric so they rarely think of how their words affect another person. However, if this behavior continues without proper guidance it will become habitual. Soon the only thing holding your children together is a bond of insulting behavior. Kids are exposed to sibling rivalry in the shows they watch on TV. Often siblings flinging insults are considered a source of comedy. Due to my frustration over my preteen not being able to control her mouth toward her … Continue reading

Journal Your Way through Your Teen’s Years

Next week my children return to school. It is hard to believe that my youngest is entering his first year of middle school, my middle child is entering her last year of middle school and my oldest child has just two years of school left. I am grateful that so far my children have faired well. We haven’t experienced many problems along the way. As each year passes without major incidences I feel like I can breathe a sigh of relief. Yet at the same time, as each new school year approaches I can’t help but worry some. Middle school … Continue reading

Stop Your Prayers from Becoming Routine

All too often I allow my prayers to become routine. My concerns seem to be the same over periods of time, and I find myself asking for the same things, and giving thanks for the same things. When my prayers become routine like this, I worry that they are not as effective as they should be. Here are some things I do to try and improve my personal prayers. I often pray silently, especially when I am not alone. If I find that my prayers are routine then I make sure that I find a good place where I am … Continue reading

Patterns of Prayer

My reservations regarding the 5 finger prayer pattern are it doesn’t incorporate two aspects that I consider essential. They are praise and confession. So I’d like to suggest another pattern for prayer – an ACTION prayer. This is: Adoration Confession Thanksgiving Intercession Outpouring Needs Adoration The first, and what to me should always be our starting point, is praise or adoration of God. We should praise God for who He is and for His unique qualities. Take time to really dwell on the fact that you are in the presence of Almighty God. Adore Him. We have only to think … Continue reading

How God Answers Prayer.

I’m going to take a break from the blogs on anger, to share something of how God has been at work getting me back on track. Lately I have been ignoring my poetry in favor of other forms of writing. Then I received a new poetry book, ‘Two Kinds of Silence’ by Tasmanian poet Kathryn Lomer. I’m looking forward to reviewing it. ‘I really should get back to writing poetry,’ the thought flitted through my mind. That day and the next I wrote and send off a batch of poems for children. A day or so later I received ‘Studio … Continue reading

Prayers or Not?

Like many people I have online friends and spend a fair amount of time online. But isn’t it a sad comment on our society to have a site called Dear-God.net, devoted to apparently allowing people to post their prayers on line? I had not heard of it, till last week our local paper ran an article about this online site. The non denominational site is a place where it seems people can post their prayers and an appropriate picture if they like to show how they are feeling. Other people can and do respond to the posts. Other people might … Continue reading

Have You Considered a Prayer Covenant?

Prayer – how important a part does it play in your life? And how other person focused is your prayer? Or are you mostly concerned with your own needs? Recently a fellow writer suggested that a number of us online, most of us writers, form a 40 day prayer covenant, the idea being that each day everyone on the list would pray for the person nominated for that day. We were asked to each give three brief points, the first a point of praise and the other two requests. Prayers could be changed as they were answered and new ones … Continue reading

Your Journal Writing Style

Why do you write in your journal? We have been instructed to keep a record of our lives. This is important to do, and there are several reasons to keep a journal. You may find that you primarily focus on just one reason or your do a little bit of all of them. Additionally you may find that your writing style changes as you consider why you are keeping a record of your life. One of the biggest reasons many people keep a journal is it is a record that you can pass on to your posterity. If you are … Continue reading

Waiting Prayerfully

To wait prayerfully means allowing God to speak to you through His Word and through a time of prayer. For my devotional time I have a journal which I keep for my reflections on the bible passages I read. My bible is littered with dates written next to verses where God has spoken to me. These journals go back years and take up a lot of room in our house. But I would never part with them. Memory is at times a fickle thing. Since my journals are all dated and indexed, I can go back and see exactly what … Continue reading