Is Your Child Involved in Too Many Activities?

Children are involved in all types of after school activities. There are sports teams, clubs, music lessons, and more. It is not uncommon for children to have practice or a ballgame almost every night of the week. Parents are very busy running from here to there to get each child to a different activity. At some point in time we must stop and ask ourselves if it is possible that our children are too busy. Are they too involved in too many activities? Many times it is hard to decide if the children enjoy the activities that they are involved … Continue reading

Perks of Public Education: X = Xtracurricular Activities

Yes, I do actually know that the spelling in the title is wrong. However, there are very few words that begin with the letter “X” that I could use for my series. Therefore, I decided to go with a word that begins with the sounding of the word “X”. So for this article, I chose xtracurricular (extracurricular) activities as a perk for public education. This perk for public education usually takes place outside of the typical school day. Extracurricular activities are activities that are “extra” for education. They are not taught in a classroom as a regular subject during the … Continue reading

Send Home Projects as Extra Credit

In a previous article I discussed teachers assigning send home projects. These were the more lengthy projects that children were to complete at home along with the help of a parent. In that article I gave some pros and cons of assigning send home projects. Not long after that article was written, one hallway of my school was filled with castles. Some of the castles were very elaborate. All of the castles, except for one, looked as if much time was put into their making. Some of the castles were made from painted cardboard, some from wood. Some had small … Continue reading

Santa Shop at School

Some schools have many different activities and events for students while other schools only carry out the minimum. I would have to say that my school is average in having activities for the students. We have Christmas programs, music programs, sporting events, and more. Some schools are very creative with the things that they plan. For a while I had though that my school had invented a new idea. Each year at Christmas time, this week this year, my school hosts a Santa Shop. In previous years the shop was hosted by the school. This year it is hosted by … Continue reading

Tips for Busy Children

While clubs, sports, and other activities can be good for children to help develop physical, emotional, and social skills, children can be involved in too many activities. When a child is overloaded with activities he/she will show signs of being tired. He/she may have headaches or stomach aches. Schoolwork and homework may also begin to suffer and drop in grades. When these things begin to happen, it is the parents’ responsibility to step up and limit the involvement. Parents need to let children know that academics and school come first. Activities come after the work is complete. Some coaches can … Continue reading