Homeschooling and the Gas Crisis

You would think that gasoline is the one thing homeschoolers do not have to worry about. However, it is a bigger concern for homeschoolers than it is for many public school students. The reason is that homeschoolers usually have to commute to take local classes, to participate in sports, to socialize. There was a time when I would drive an hour to allow the kids to hang out for an afternoon. I would pick up and go to the library on a whim. I would drive the kids to several homeschool events and field trips a week. It was not … Continue reading

The NEA Addresses the School Dropout Crisis

Schools are doing all they can to stop students from dropping out of school. Unfortunately, the school dropout rate is still quite high in this country. The NEA (National Education Association) is now addressing this tough topic in hopes of making a plan that works and starts to lessen and prevent students from dropping out of school. Let’s start with the facts as we know them about the dropout rate in our schools. Statistics say that nearly one-third of students do not graduate. I had no idea this number was so high. Did you? According to an article from the … Continue reading

Are Our Schools in Crisis?

After watching a rerun of Oprah today, I started thinking about the topic, “Schools in Crisis”. According to the statistics on Oprah, schools in the United States, schools that once were at the top of the list in the world for test scores, now place 24th, behind Canada, Germany, France, Hungary, Poland and Slovakia. How is it that one of the richest, if not the richest country in the world has fallen behind smaller, poorer countries in test scores? According to Bill and Melinda Gates, Oprah’s guests, the reason the United States is falling behind is lack of funding for … Continue reading

Some Kids Are Not Attending School

Some parents have noticed that their child, pre-teen or teenager have been avoiding going back to school. NPR posted an article titled: “3 years since the pandemic wrecked attendance, kids still aren’t showing up to school”. In other words, there are many parents out there who have kids that are unable to attend school.  According to NPR, Hedy Chang, the executive director of Attendance Works, says she hasn’t seen the kind of recovery she’d hoped for. “I think people had been a little bit under the false impression that when COVID became more endemic, that that would result in a … Continue reading

U.S. Surgeon General Address Youth Mental Health Crisis

United States Surgeon General Dr. Vivek Murthy issued a new advisory to highlight the urgent need to address the nation’s youth mental health crisis. The Surgeon General pointed out that before the COVID-19 pandemic, mental health challenges were the leading cause of disability and poor life outcomes in young people, with up to 1 in 5 children ages 3 to 17 in the U.S. having a mental, emotional, developmental, or behavioral disorder.  According to the Surgeon General, the pandemic added to the pre-existing challenges that America’s youth faced. It disrupted the lives of children and adolescents, such as in-person schooling, … Continue reading

Homeschooling During Trials

Every family experiences trials from time to time. Trials come in varying sizes and shapes with varying consequences and outcomes. During these times it is understandable that a family becomes concentrated and even distracted by such times. It can make communication between family members difficult. Trials are tough enough but when homeschooling is added into the mix it can make a hard situation harder. Homeschooling is a joy until it isn’t. During difficult times it can become a source of concern, stress and even a burden. Mustering up the energy to teach English and grace math becomes near impossible during … Continue reading

Homeschooling During Dark Days

Homeschooling is a joy for many. Homeschooling moms have the privilege of guiding their child’s education on a daily basis through real life experiences and handpicked curriculum. Your child gets a full view of life up close and personal with no distractions and without the benefit of rosy colored glasses. So when those real life experiences involve divorce, illness, death, financial woes, or the not so somber events such as a new addition in the family or minor injury, how will you homeschool? To each a dark season will come regardless of your educational choice for your children. Often homeschoolers … Continue reading

Keeping your homeschoolers learning all summer

I think I have finally found the real key to keeping homeschoolers learning all summer… it must be their idea. Summer is coming up quickly and for many, funds are still low as the country attempts to climb out of the housing crisis and unofficial recession. This kind of puts space camps,sports camps, and expensive computer programming sessions out of reach this summer. Just because funds are low, however,does not mean that homeschoolers need to end up having an unproductive summer. After a talk with my son about what to do this summer, we made the decision that this might … Continue reading

Are You Talking to Your Kids About the Financial Crisis?

According to money expert Suze Orman (who has become somewhat of a permanent fixture on “The Oprah Winfrey Show” as of late) the one bright side to our country’s current economic meltdown is that it is forcing parents to sit down and discuss money matters with their kids. Have you had the talk with your kids yet? You might have if you recently cancelled a planned family vacation in order to pay the mortgage or if you disconnected the cable in order to pay for food. Our nation’s current economic crisis has forced millions of parents from coast-to-coast to look … Continue reading

Prep Schools around the World

In my last article I began describing the characteristics of prep schools. In that article I discussed how not all countries use the same terms and definitions for prep schools. Each area of the world has its own idea for educating children. Here I will take a look at the different countries and how they view prep schools. Canada While American prep schools have basically dropped off British traditions and developed their own style, prep schools in Canada combine American and British traditions. They typically wish to create well rounded students by addressing all aspects of life. In addition to … Continue reading