Frugal Homeschooling: Field Trips

Field trips are a chance to see things firsthand.  Everyone needs a change of scenery and a way to connect lessons in a book to real life.  Field trips provide an educational vacation time for you and your kids.  I love going on field trips but I have to keep the budget in mind.  Here are some fun and frugal field trips for your family. Fun and Frugal Filed Trips Community jobs.  Taking a tour of your local fire department, police department, or post office is free.  Set a up a time with a group or on your own by … Continue reading

Ideas for keeping homeschooling fun: Prioritize your field trips

Homeschoolers know that the word “home” in homeschooling is hardly descriptive. We spend a great deal of time driving around to different activities for sports, enrichment activities, co-ops and more. To our surprise, we sometimes become focussed on creating a wealth of well rounded classes and activities, that we actually forget to schedule field trips. In my case, you would think that seeing my daughters interest in theater that we would have seen several plays. We have not. This past year she has participated in two plays, and that and her academics have taken up so much time that we … Continue reading

Why Some Parents are Unschooling Their Kids

Unschooling is a form of homeschooling that involves less structure and more child-centered learning. Parents who are unhappy with the way that learning is presented at schools have been turning to the unschooling movement as their solution for what their child’s education should be like. Unschooling has some similarities with homeschooling. In both cases, a child stays home and receives his or her education there (instead of in a classroom at a school). Each educational style allows parents to be very involved in what their child is taught. Parents can set the speed that information is presented in order to … Continue reading

Things to Consider Before Homeschooling

Is homeschooling the best choice for your child, your family, and yourself? That is a question that parents must give serious thought to as they are making the decision about whether or not to start homeschooling a child. Here are some important things to consider before you make the transition from public school to homeschooling. Can you afford to homeschool? Parents who are displeased by the public school that their child has been assigned to might be thinking about homeschooling instead. After all, homeschooling is obviously cheaper than the tuition that a private school would charge. Keep in mind that … Continue reading

School Proof your iPad

After purchase, the iPad quickly became a part of the family.  Everyone loves it, uses it, and begs to use it some more.  It is filled to the brim with educational apps, photo apps, and organizational apps.  I created a space for each of my kids with all their school apps on the home screen.  In addition, I use the iPad to keep track of events, field trips, and grades.  When we get our evaluations done this year the iPad will come along to show images and grades for the past school year.  From watching documentaries on Netflix to playing … Continue reading

Record Keeping with Homeschool Minder

Homeschool Minder is a record keeping (web-based) software for homeschool teachers.  It is intuitive and interactive as it tracks grades, achievements, skills learned, lesson plans, assignments, and your calendar.  If it involves homeschooling it goes in Homeschool Minder.  Yes, you can input field trips.  Yes, you can input appointments.  Oh yes, even days at co-op.  It is the only record keeping system you will need.  Really…it is that exhaustive. You may be overwhelmed at first but navigation is easy and bypassing anything you don’t feel you need is simple and won’t get in your way.  If you state requires attendance or you submit … Continue reading

Time Again for the Homeschool Portfolio

What is a Homeschool Portfolio? A homeschool portfolio is a window into your child’s homeschool experience, achievements, and academic progress, throughout the school year. There are more then on way to keep a portfolio but I will list the core items you will need. However, always check your state laws, homeschool co-ops, and with the evaluator, on what materials are required. The Basic Supplies 3 ring binder {3 inches or more thick} dividers page protectors Sharpies computer paper to print out basic forms samples of your child’s work photos {optional} Forms to Provide Attendance Form: List of Curriculum and … Continue reading

Frugal and Free Homeschooling {part 1}

Many have pushed aside the idea of homeschooling due to a lack of finances.  Many make the decision to stop homeschooling because of a difficult financial time.  Hearts that feel the impact of failing make decisions that cause them to retreat and not go forward. You are not a failure.  If you are experiencing a hard time or you feel you can not afford to homeschool, do not feel shame.  Many more struggle behind those happy Facebook status updates and expensive looking science experiments on blogs. A few years ago, I was in a financial situation that I feared would … Continue reading

Frugal Homeschool Field Trip Tips

A field trip does not have to be costly or extravagant to serve its purpose. The purpose behind a field trip is to give kids a real world experience and a change of scenery. A change is good to allow lessons to sink in and draw a connection to the world. Lessons are sometimes best when they jump off the page. With a little creativity and research you can have a homeschooling journey that does not break the bank. Library: Check your local library for special events and classes. Most will be free or have a small fee. You may … Continue reading

Christmas Gifts for Homeschoolers

Zoo Memberships: A local zoo membership is a great idea for a homeschooling family. It will offer the family a year’s worth of field trips and learning. It is also a gift the entire family will adore. Covering one family with one gift is brilliant. Gift Subscriptions: Subscriptions are my favorite gifts because it gives all year long. There are so many wonderful educational magazines, clubs, and activities you can give all year long. Many companies offer subscription services that would benefit a homeschooling family. Educational magazines, Kiwi Crate, Little Passports, and Little Scientist’s Club, and more! The homeschooling family … Continue reading