Can Virginia Tech Be Blamed For The School Shootings?

We all remember the horrible Virginia Tech shootings that occurred several months ago. Over thirty people, students and faculty, lost their lives. After incidents such as this, people start questioning what could have been done differently. Families of the victims look for something or someone to blame for their loss. I cannot say that I would not do the same. Late last month, a panel decided that indeed Virginia Tech could have done something differently and saved lives. It was determined that if students were notified earlier, lives would have likely been saved. From the time the first shootings happened, … Continue reading

Dealing with High School Tragedies

Like most of you who have heard about the tragedy in Ohio, my heart has felt broken over the loss of life. Yet another high school shooting, with the death toll now at three. It brings back memories. Not just memories of previous high school shootings—such as Columbine—but memories of my 17-year-old son’s first year of high school. You see, at first it was thought that the shooter in this latest incident was bullied. Since then it has been said he wasn’t “well,” something is psychologically wrong with him. That was the case nearly four years ago when a high … Continue reading

Let’s Stop Blaming Homeschooling

I have been watching, along with the rest of the nation, the stories pour out of Colorado regarding the shootings that took place a little over a week ago. Turns out the shooter, Matthew Murray, was homeschooled using a strict curriculum put forth by the Bill Gothard folks. I feel for everyone in the situation, including his parents. As soon as it came to light that he was homeschooled commentaries poured forth with the usual offerings: “We knew homeschooling didn’t provide proper socialization.” “Had he been in public school, his mental health would’ve been monitored.” “See, fanatic fundamentalists homeschooling is … Continue reading

The Truth about School Bus Drivers

In my previous article I discussed the importance of school support staff. I also talked about how these people were often misunderstood or not given the credit that they deserve. My previous article addressed educational assistants and custodians. In this article I will continue to address the support staff that help to make a school successful. Many think that school bus drivers do little work. They take the children to school and come pick them up in the afternoon to take them home. This is true. However it takes much more than being able to drive a bus to be … Continue reading

Ask a Homeschooling Blogger: Why Are You So Against Government Involvement Part 2

Note: As I have explained in my previous blog this morning, I have received an e-mail that I think articulates the opinions of many who do not home school and don’t understand why those of us who do might see government intervention as a bad thing. I generally ignore these letters because they are often riddled with poor language and have clearly not been thought out. For the original question in part, please see the first blog. This is a continuation of my response. Those Who “Claim to Homeschool” Every so often, we hear of a news story about a … Continue reading

14 Year Old Plotting Columbine-Like Attack Was Homeschooled

Surely you’ve read the news reports and maybe it’s just me, but the idea that this kid was home schooled sticks out like a sore thumb. How did he get all those weapons? Sure enough, as stories of the news surfaced, reactions to the stories popped up: “See, I knew there was a reason I thought home schooling was stupid.” “This kid wouldn’t have had an opportunity to do the planning and get those weapons if he were in public school. Someone would catch something.” “Plain and simple, home schooling is a bad idea. Rather than teaching kids how to … Continue reading

Reasons I am glad I homeschool: Poor Judgement

I will preface this by saying that everyone has moments of incredibly poor judgment. In most cases however, such poor judgment affects only ourselves and at worst our own families. However, what happens when a teacher, a group of teachers or an administrator uses incredibly poor judgment? Recently, staff members at Scales Elementary school in Murfreesboro Tennessee, faked a gun attack during an overnight class trip to a state park. One of the teachers pretended to be a gunman (wearing a hooded sweatshirt) and unsuspecting 11-13 year olds were told to hide under tables. Eventually the students were told it … Continue reading

School Shooting

Another tragedy hit our education system today with shootings at Virginia Tech. At a little after seven o’clock this morning a call was made to the campus police reporting a shooting at West Amber Johnson residence hall. While the shootings were being investigated, another report came in from shootings across campus at classrooms in Norris Hall. Altogether, 32 people were killed and over 20 more were injured. The single shooter is also dead. It has not been confirmed yet if the shooter took his on life or was shot by police. However, this may be the worst campus shooting in … Continue reading

Reasons I am glad I homeschool: Local School Dangers

Today at a local school, probably 30 minutes from my front door, a student walked into school carrying what he said was a bomb. The child was a freshman, was 14 years old, and seemed confused and agitated. It will probably be weeks before anyone knows what his motives were. Fortunately, disaster was averted, as the school, with a population of 1700 students, was evacuated and the “bomb” did not go off. Whether it was a real bomb or not, has not been disclosed. He surrendered a few hours later. While I do not keep my children in my presence … Continue reading

School Drill Taken Too Far Or Not?

With the increase of school shootings, drugs, and other school issues how far do you think police should go in conducting drills? For one combination middle and high school in Michigan many parents feel that the drill went to far. The police entered the school in riot gear including vests and helmets. Students were removed from the classroom and patted down by officers in the halls. They were asked what was in their pockets and if they had any weapons. The police carried rifles that were unloaded and marked with tape indicating that they were not live, although I doubt … Continue reading