Four Computer Manufacturers that Offer Deals for Students, Homeschoolers, Teachers and Parents

If you are a student, the parent of a student, a homeschooler or a teacher, you can score big discounts on new computers. That is because of the fact that at least four different computer and technology manufacturers offer programs that discount computers and necessary software. Some of these computer manufacturers also offer other perks to go along with the student-related discounts. Mac (Apple’s Education Pricing) This program offers students discounts of up to 15 percent on their purchases, and it includes free shipping, if you order online. The discount is also good for homeschooling parents, teachers and parents buying … Continue reading

Why would parents torture their kid with homeschooling?

That was a question asked online by a young man who could not understand the choice to homeschool.  He went on to say that parents who homeschool are overprotective and selfish.  While he understood that high school was “viscous” it was no reason to keep your child at home.  Two young people responded supporting his statements and one was homeschooled for a short time.  Another response was this: I agree with you, being home-schooled will make kids become more dependent and less social. School better prepares kids for the real world, and shows the bright and bad sides of life. … Continue reading

Unschooling or Unparenting?

Extremes always make the news. Sadly, when an extreme becomes a representation of an idea false assumptions and prejudices occur. It happens most often on hot of taboo topics with homeschooling be one of those topics. To non- homeschoolers, homeschooling by itself looks to be an extreme. Often those most vocal about it represent one extreme or another be that religious or unschooling. If one has difficulty wrapping her mind around homeschooling then you can imagine how much more difficult that would be for unschooling. If truth be told, not even many homeschoolers understand unschooling. Unschooling does not represent homeschooling … Continue reading

Four Ways to Save Money on Children’s Clothing

According to cost of living tables, a family can spend anywhere between $50 and $90 per month per child to cloth him or her. I don’t think my family spends much more than that per year, or at least we try not to. The numbers go up from there for teens and adults. The one exception may be shoes, since the kids tend to go through several pairs in a year, and although I can get the cost of shoes down quite a bit, they have less pricing wiggle room than do other types of clothing. Outlet Pricing Yesterday we … Continue reading

Summer and Homeschooling

Every year I say that I will school all year round. Every year I end up taking summers off. By the time summer comes the kids and I are ready to take some time off and have fun in the sun. I suppose the childhood school tradition of taking summers off is ingrained in me. There is no reason to take summers off so many homeschoolers go all year round schooling. Once again, I said I would do school all year but again I am going to take summers off. However, that does not mean that education has to end. … Continue reading

Netflix and Homeschooling

I have heard many homeschooling moms sing the praises of Netflix. I was hesitant to try it out because quite frankly it was one more thing that costs money. Most homeschoolers can relate to the one income or money blues. I had been a member of Netflix and Blockbuster in the past and enjoyed the services. In time, I just didn’t want to pay the extra fee on top of my cable bill. With four kids, one husband, one dog, one business and two writing jobs, who has time to sit and watch a movie anyway? Actually, if truth be … Continue reading

Homeschooling as a Family Group

I have four children, ages fourteen, nearly twelve, nine, and nearly six. As is the case in every family, each of these children is an individual. They have their own personalities, their own ways of learning, and as their mother, and their teacher, I’ve had to stand on my head quite regularly to figure out how to reach them. Because the children are on different learning levels, I had each of them working in different books. It made sense to me. But when it came time to start school again after our break, it just didn’t feel like the right … Continue reading

Gearing Up for Your First Home Schooling Year

So, you decided to make the big leap and home school your children? As significant as this decision was, you will be faced with many more as you embark on this journey. Here are some basic advice to guide you through the first questions and decisions you will face. Of course, things are not always this simple, but it’s best to keep our perspective and not get too overwhelmed. Home schooling is a learning experience for the parent as much as the child. What curriculum should I use? This is the question mainly asked by new home schooling parents. What … Continue reading

Home Schooling Is Cheaper Than Public School

Being able to home school my girls was a choice I was glad I made. Not only could I see over their education and spend quality time with them, but it was far cheaper than public school. Back when I was a kid public school was free. Each child got their books, pencils, paper, art supplies, and many other school supplies for free. We’d even go on several field trips throughout the year, all for free as well. About the only thing my parents had to pay for was my lunch. Times have definitely changed, especially over the last decade. … Continue reading

Think You’re Against Homeschooling? Just Wait

I just stumbled across a homeschooling mom blog where the writer explains that she used to oppose homeschooling. She was offered the opportunity to homeschool as a teen and turned it down. She saw her brothers get homeschooled. Yet she saw no appeal in it. She opposed it even to the point of debating against it in college and convincing others to not homeschool. But things tend to go full circle. She now homeschools her kids. Likewise, many of the people who have commented on her blog feel the same way. They were strongly opposed to homeschooling and eventually came … Continue reading