How School Dress Codes Can Harm Your Daughter’s Education

Does the school your children attend have a dress code? Many of them do. Some schools opt for a specific, very limited, dress code. Others are a little less stringent. While a dress code might annoy your son, school dress codes can harm your daughter’s education. Here are some things for parents to watch out for. Ideally, a school dress code is designed to equalize students. Everyone has to wear the same type of uniform, with limited variations. (Typical variations include skirts for girls and pants for boys). Schools might choose to only allow clothing of specific colors. The goal … Continue reading

Obama Cut Funding for Abstinence-Only Sex Ed

President Obama has eliminated all government funding for abstinence-only sex education programs in public schools. Research shows that abstinence-only-until-marriage programs are ineffective and that they negatively impact young people’s health. Abstinence-only sex ed programs, and abstinence-until-marriage programs, are an extremely limited version of sexual education. These types of programs emphasize that young people should not have sexual intercourse until after they are married. Abstinence based sexual education programs rarely include information about anatomy, puberty, sexual health, and sexual orientation. These programs are favored by some Christian religious groups and by Republican lawmakers. Research shows that abstinence-only sexual education programs are … Continue reading

Intrusion On Our Children

Intrusion on our children? I believe that is exactly the situation in New York. Apparently the New York City Department of Education is expanding its sex education curriculum to include the distribution of…get this…morning after pills. Yes, you read that right. The morning after pill is being made available to girls in high school, and guess what? Parental consent isn’t necessary. Girls as young as 14 years old will have access to this and their parents won’t even know. Yes, I definitely call this an intrusion. Okay, so there is the possibility of opting out. But of course, that means … Continue reading

Controversial Sex Ed Curriculum in New York

There is a controversy in New York schools concerning a sex education curriculum that students will be introduced to. One of the resources that students in school will be directed to is a website called “Go Ask Alice.” Of course, I invite you to check it out for yourself but I can tell you that it’s certainly not something I would provide my children with. If you click on the tab “Sexuality,” you get this red box that provides a snapshot of what you are about to link to. It reads: “Learn the A-B-Cs of S-E-X: abstinence, boners & clitorises.” … Continue reading

Are Your Teenage Girls Safe at Work?

A California girl just sued Starbucks for sexual harassment on the job. Her claim is that a 24 year old supervisor turned her into his sex toy. She felt like she could not say no and keep her job. Her manager eventually pleaded guilty and spent 4 months in jail. There are similar incidents all around the country. A Taco Bell Manager recently pleaded guilty to raping two 16 year old employees. They don’t always get away with it though. A 16 year old worker at a McDonald’s went to her mother about harassment and the manager was quickly fired. … Continue reading

Parents, Are You More Afraid of Math or the Sex Talk

According to a recent study by Penn, Schoen and Berland Associates, “Parents would rather talk to their kids about sex and drugs than about math and science, the survey of 561 parents found. More than half say they have trouble helping their kids with these subjects, and it gets more difficult as the students get older.” Comments on the New York Times blog Motherlode, some parents agree. It’s not just math that parents are afraid of, but also science. I don’t see anything to be afraid of. Sure, parents get tripped up as early as 5th grade math. They are … Continue reading

Homeschooling Groups and Resources in Florida D-H

To succeed in homeschooling, it is in your best interest to get involved with other homeschoolers. You should join a homeschool network or group near you. For this reason, I have decided to give a full listing of homeschooling groups throughout each state. Florida is a state with a wealth of resources to compliment it’s large homeschool population. This installment includes homeschooling resources from Florida D-H. ExaminedLife The Examined Life is a support network for homeschooling families in Miami-Dade County, Florida. They also welcome families from Monroe and Broward. They provide park days, field-trips, an excellent enrichment co-op, several clubs, … Continue reading

Homeschooling cover for child abuse and sexual exploitation?

Who comes up with this stuff? At the head of homeschooling headlines today is an article out of the UK entitled Home schooling ‘could be a cover for child abuse and sexual exploitation’. My problem is not that some people feel this way, but that some people will try to convince others of this drivel. Here are some of the items presented in this article: In some extreme cases, home education could be used as a cover for abuse. We cannot allow this to happen and are committed to doing all we can to help ensure children are safe, wherever … Continue reading

Education Blog in Review: December 1st Through December 14th

Do you know exactly what goes on at your child’s school? You might be surprised. Look for future posts about this topic. Meanwhile check out the blog posts from the past two weeks. December 1st Education Blog in Review: November 17th Through November 30th Stay ahead of the latest in Education with the Education Blog. December 2nd Education Blog Month in Review: November By November, students have settled in to the routine of school. The month of November brought with it lots of education news, from sex education and ethics in the classroom to upcoming policy changes that may affect … Continue reading

Education Blog Month in Review: November

By November, students have settled in to the routine of school. The month of November brought with it lots of education news, from sex education and ethics in the classroom to upcoming policy changes that may affect when some students graduate. Check here to review any important posts that you may have missed. November 3rd Schools Required to Improve Dropout Rates Last month, Education Secretary Margaret Spellings announced a new set of regulations that are aimed at making high schools accountable for high school drop out rates. November 7th New Plans to Graduate Kids in 10th Grade The last two … Continue reading