The Prevention of “Baby Grace”

I have written, erased and re-written this blog about a dozen times. Words defy me in this case. I know that I don’t even have to give an introduction to this story because “Baby Grace” has been all over the news. You have to live in a hole under a rock in a cave to not know to whom I’m referring. I think those of us who are mothers are reeling at the thought of hurting our own children in that way. It is incomprehensible. Today, as news of Baby Grace trickles out, the mother said that the boyfriend killed … Continue reading

More Ways to Use Medication Safely

When it comes to your child and medication, I really believe that you just can’t be too careful. Witness the young deaths as a result of using children’s cold medication. With some safety precautions, you can ensure that you child’s medication is safe and effective. If you missed the first post on this subject, click here: How to Use Medication Safely. Now, I’ll share some more tips. Never give medication to a child (or really anyone) that was prescribed for someone else. I always cringe when I hear about how someone gave their child leftover antibiotics when their child was … Continue reading

What Will It Take? A Challenge for Experienced Moms

As do many writers, I subscribe to google alerts for ideas on blogs. Every morning my inbox is filled with news stories, media reviews and a smattering of other things–all baby related. I get at least a dozen news articles a day on baby deaths or injuries. A father who shook his baby to death, a father putting his child into the microwave, a mother who hung her 3 children and herself in a murder/suicide. . .and the list can go on. It seems more and more, parents are completely unprepared for parenthood and don’t know what else to do. … Continue reading

The Violence to Young Children Continues

It’s getting so bad that I do not want to read the latest news. A mother left her two year old girl and an almost one year old boy with her boyfriend. He had agreed to bring them to meet her in the store parking lot where she was employed when she got off work. When they picked her up, the mother apparently realized that the little girl was seriously injured. They took her to a local hospital. The hospital immediately “life flighted” her to a trauma center where she died that evening. The cause of death was a brain … Continue reading

Child Abuse: A New Case and Two Updates

Fifty miles north of Houston, a 26 year old father has been arrested for causing very serious injuries to his four month old twins. The children had been separately taken to the hospital, both with hemorrhaging in their brains and eyes. On December 23, the female twin was brought to an area hospital by her mother. Later in the day, the father came to the same hospital with the twin brother. The parents do not live together. Police investigators believe that the assaults took place in the father’s home. Apparently, there is undisclosed evidence that the father injured the babies. … Continue reading

Ashes of Roses — Mary Jane Auch

This young adult novel is a perfect example of why I love historical fiction. I had never heard of the Triangle Factory Fire of 1911 until I happened upon this book at the library, but now I know about it and appreciate the events that led up to the tragedy and the reforms in factory conditions that it brought about. The book, while fiction, has been carefully researched by the author and tells the story of the immigrant workers in a way that is poignant and accessible to the reader. We begin the story with Rose Nolan, a sixteen-year-old girl … Continue reading