Stash Some Cash: Five Reasons You Need to Do This Now

Building up an emergency fund is an important step to help protect your family from disaster. Having enough money to cover the cost of the unexpected is one way to make sure that you won’t suddenly be plunged into debt, have to take on high interest loans, or max out your credit cards. Increasingly though, financial experts are also recommending that not only do you have an emergency fund in the bank, but that you also have a healthy amount of cash stashed in your wallet, at home or somewhere that is readily accessible. The more you are prepared, the … Continue reading

Frugal and Free Homeschooling {part 3}

In part 1, I discussed how I have felt the crushing burden of finances on my homeschool.  In part 2, you were given a few simple assignments to get started on your way to frugal and free homeschooling.  To review, you were asked to revisit the reasons you homeschooled.  That will revive your heart and put wheels to your feet on finding a solution.  Then, you were to check the inventory you currently have for school.  Perhaps there are unfinished assignments or textbooks or even reviews you can use.  Finally, you were to write down all you need for a … Continue reading

Can Your Homeschool Blog Earn Money? {Part 1}

The homeschool cup runneth over with homeschool blogs.  Many frazzled homeschool moms and those at a loss for inspiration have found restoration in many of the amazing homeschool blogs on the net today.    My experiences blogging about homeschooling has opened up a world that I may have otherwise missed; both as a homeschooling mom and as one who profits from blogging.  Many homeschool moms have also discovered this opportunity and desire to learn more about profiting from their blogs. Since most homeschool homes balance on the tip of one income this potential source of support or business is becoming more … Continue reading

The Internet and Homeschooling

Eight years ago, a few clicks of the mouse led me to the virtual side of homeschooling. It was a world I happily embraced. In that time, I have joined homeschool forums, developed a blog and Facebook community, contributed to group homeschool blogs, and joined efforts to enhance the online homeschool experience for parents and students. I continue to see tremendous growth in the online homeschool community. Homeschooling families are using the Internet for support, to share ideas, to find lesson plans, curriculum assessments, and keep updated on homeschool law. The Internet has provided a sense of community among homeschoolers … Continue reading

What Does Working From Home Enable You To Do?

One of the things which sets home – based work apart from traditional work is that home – based professionals are often largely in control of the role that work plays in their lives. While this is not always the case, it is much of the time, especially in situations where the home – based professional owns his or her own business. If one or more of the adults in a household have the freedom to make choices about when and how much to work, it can help the entire family to achieve many things. For example, if one person … Continue reading

Do You Blog About Your Homeschool?

Do you have a blog? And if so, do you blog about your homeschool? When you go online and type “homeschool blogs” into a web search, you have a wealth of information at your fingertips. Just a quick search in Google yielded me 4,110,000 results – wow. Think of all the resources those four million blogs could hold for me. Think of all the inspiration, the lesson ideas, the motivation I could get by tapping into that completely free resource. With all those blogs already in existence, is it still important for you to add the topic to your blog … Continue reading

What Do Home Based Professionals Do During a Power Outage?

For the past two days, I have been in New Hampshire. An early snow storm a few days ago knocked out power in many parts of the state, including the town where we were staying. Ironically, the places that were hardest hit by the wintry weather were the places that were the furthest south. The reason for that is that not only did not much snow make it all the way north – I drove home to Vermont today and arrived to find almost no snow in our yard – the snow that did fall was heavy and wet. That … Continue reading

Diary of a Work at Home Mom Part 20

One of the wonderful things about being a home-based professional is that some types of home-based work can be done at places other than your home. Today, I read a story on Elance about a person who was able to travel to Ecuador for six weeks because he works online. Perhaps even more fascinating than the fact that this person was able to travel to Ecuador and experience an entirely new place and culture is the fact that since this person works as a freelance writer, he could even relocate to Ecuador permanently if he wanted to and still have … Continue reading

Thinking of Homescholing Preschool?

Making the decision to homeschool can be a daunting task. For some it is natural and the decision is already made to homeschool. For others the option of homeschooling is not an option so they need not think twice about it. Yet, for many there is a struggle going on about whether to homeschool or not. Preschool is a wonderful time to begin homeschooling if you are considering the option. Preschool will give you a trial run on how you will approach your homeschool philosophy, schedule your day, and work in any outside concerns like working or other children. It … Continue reading

Why Dont They Get To Know Our Kids?

I am having a real hard time deciding what the right thing to do when it comes to dealing with my in-laws. I have read books, searched the internet looking for help. We have tried everything at least I think we did. Today I am sitting here thinking about the relationship with my in-laws and our kids. Is life today so busy that no one has time to get to know our kids? Have times changed that much that everyone is so busy that they don’t have time for family? While I was growing up we were always doing things … Continue reading