Deciperhing Teen Speak: Sex Words Parents Should Know

In a previous article Deciphering Teen Speak: Words parents should know I discussed a list words that teens use that parents need to know. I also wrote Deciperhing Teen Speak: Drug Related Words Parents Should Know. If you are the least bit concerned about your child being involved in drugs, you should know these words. Another area where teens use code words is when talking about sex. Here are some of the many euphemisms parents should know that indicate they are having or talking about sex. Euphemisms teens use for sex: Jeepin: I am sure you get the picture. While … Continue reading

Parents, Are You More Afraid of Math or the Sex Talk

According to a recent study by Penn, Schoen and Berland Associates, “Parents would rather talk to their kids about sex and drugs than about math and science, the survey of 561 parents found. More than half say they have trouble helping their kids with these subjects, and it gets more difficult as the students get older.” Comments on the New York Times blog Motherlode, some parents agree. It’s not just math that parents are afraid of, but also science. I don’t see anything to be afraid of. Sure, parents get tripped up as early as 5th grade math. They are … Continue reading

Parents, Kids and Video Games

If you can’t find a single thing valuable about your kids’ video games, then you obviously haven’t been reading the paper inserts that come in the game boxes. Many video game manufacturers now include tiny leaflets as part of their product’s packaging listing reasons why electronic gaming is beneficial to a child’s development. Surprisingly, more and more childhood experts are going public supporting the video-games-can-be-an-important-part-of-a-child’s-social-life philosophy. Though, the experts add one caveat: Video games are okay provided they are played in moderation and the types of games being played are age appropriate. A recent study found that quality video games: … Continue reading

Change Your Bedding, Change Your Sex Life

Even though the title might suggest such, I’m not about to tell you how to salvage a slumping sex life by simply putting fresh sheets on your bed. (Although, if it has been weeks since you changed them, I could see how that might help.) Rather, I’m talking a makeover for your bed. Courtney, you do realize we’re in the midst of recession, right? Weren’t you the one freaking out about it not too long ago and coming up with ways to survive it without spending a lot of cash? Why, what a great memory you have! Yes, in fact … Continue reading

Pop Culture Potpourri: “Sex and the City” Turns Back the Clock and Croc Hunter’s Mini Me

Have you ever wondered what Carrie Bradshaw was like as a teen? (And I’m not talking about Sarah Jessica Parker’s stint on TV’s Square Pegs.) Sex and the City is going back in time thanks to creator Candace Bushnell. The author recently announced that she is writing a series of literary prequels featuring her most famous character, Carrie Bradshaw. The pair of teen novels will reportedly focus on the high school adventures of Bradshaw, (who was portrayed by Sarah Jessica Parker on the big and small screen) and be named The Carrie Diaries. Bushnell says that she is concentrating on … Continue reading

Disciplining Your Kids

A lot of parents assume that when someone talks about disciplining their kids that they mean spanking. Spanking is only one alternative in a whole arsenal of options for parents. Parents have time-out for younger children. Older children can go to their rooms, have the privileges taken away, and the ever popular grounding from outside, or from certain activities (which sounds a lot like removing privileges). These discipline techniques are all external. By that I mean that these are consequences that a parent imposes on the child as an external measure, while the parent hopes that the child will internalize … Continue reading

New Report Shows Fewer Teens Having Sex

There’s good news for parents of teens. According to a recently released study, fewer teens are having sex, the number of teens ages 15 to 17 giving birth has decreased and for those teens who are engaging in sexual activity, the use of condoms is up. America’s Children: Key National Indicators of Well-Being, is an annual report released by the Federal Interagency Forum on Child and Family Statistics and details information on the health and well-being of children in the United States. Many of the findings were positive. In addition to the issues of teen sexuality, the study found that: … Continue reading

How Much Information About Finances Should We Share With Our Kids?

Money is a rough topic for a lot of families. Many of us were raised in families where open communication about money was NOT the norm, and even if we want things to be different for our own children, we might not be entirely clear on what is appropriate and what is not. Teaching our children about money goes beyond just issuing an allowance—but how much should we actually share with our children about our own personal finances? I don’t know if there is a set rule when it comes to financial information, but it stands to reason that it … Continue reading

When should you allow your kids to start dating?

When should you allow your kids to start dating? This was the question posed this morning to listeners of the radio station I sometimes listen to while I walk. Having a child many years (I hope!) away from any prospect of dating, I didn’t give the question much thought. As I continued to walk, they asked the question again and said they would go to the phone after the next song for responses. Okay, I said, let me think. I would have to say, when the child is mature and responsible enough. That’s the first criteria. Although age should be … Continue reading

How Well Are Your Kids Coping With Life?

Have you ever wondered how well your kids are coping with life? In a poll by Harris Interactive, for Family Circle, teens, tweens and mothers of tweens and teens were surveyed, with some interesting answers. Here are some highlights of the survey: (1) 91% of kids would rather talk face-to-face with their parents. (2) 34% of kids wish their parents wouldn’t get mad at them as much. (3) 70% of those surveyed said they are happy with how much attention parents give them. (4) 9% of kids said they spent too much time with their parents. (5) 92% of mothers … Continue reading